• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Men’s Alpine World Cup 2023/24

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Marco Odermatt was injured on Tuesday in training. Some sort of back injury that resulted in a compressed vertebrae. It sounds like he’s not training anymore this week but is still hopeful for Beaver Creek.
I enjoyed this at the end of the Blick article, translation from Google

In the event that Odermatt's condition does not improve by the time of the descent and the Super-G on the Birds of Prey ski slope, Germany's former slalom king Felix Neureuther (39) has a tip, which is anything but free: "I In 2015, before the World Championships in Beaver Creek, I also suffered a severe blow to my back and therefore had a special cortisone injection at the renowned Steadman Clinic before the slalom. This syringe cost me $12,000.”

Looking at the FIS website Neutreuther finished 3rd in that race, beating out Henrik Kristofferson by .02 seconds for the final place on the podium. Jean Baptiste-Grange was the winner, with Fritz Dopfer in second.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
"I also suffered a severe blow to my back and therefore had a special cortisone injection at the renowned Steadman Clinic before the slalom. This syringe cost me $12,000.”

One armed.jpg

Had my first shoulder surgery after a football training injury my Freshman year of college, second surgery following a crash at a college SL ski race at Squaw my Junior year. Now developed old age shoulder impingement and pain which has been progressively getting worse over the past year. Last week, my L shoulder just stopped working after a long day of surgeries and procedures. Fortunately, an intra-articular injection of Bupivicaine and Kenalog was like a miracle, as my arm is moving again this weekend!

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
So it looks like they started from the lower start today.

As is always the case: don't take the first training run as a complete indicator of race day performance. But still, Kilde is on form, as are Sarrazin, Sander, Casse, Alexander, and Sejersted. Von Appen had some good runs last season so his run isn't necessarily an outlier. Pinturault seems to be finding his DH legs. Allege and Crawford are doing OK, as well.

Odermatt in 11th with a wonky back isn't bad at all.

The USST is looking, well, pretty underwhelming. RCS' time wasn't fantastic and he shed time over the last section of the course. The other were way off the mark on line, splits, tuning, basic turning, whatever.

We shall see what tomorrow's training run brings.

Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 17.13.25.png

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
So it looks like they started from the lower start today.

As is always the case: don't take the first training run as a complete indicator of race day performance. But still, Kilde is on form, as are Sarrazin, Sander, Casse, Alexander, and Sejersted. Von Appen had some good runs last season so his run isn't necessarily an outlier. Pinturault seems to be finding his DH legs. Allege and Crawford are doing OK, as well.

Odermatt in 11th with a wonky back isn't bad at all.

The USST is looking, well, pretty underwhelming. RCS' time wasn't fantastic and he shed time over the last section of the course. The other were way off the mark on line, splits, tuning, basic turning, whatever.

We shall see what tomorrow's training run brings.

View attachment 216803
I think that's off the top. Beaver Creek DH in the last 10 years have generally been in the 1:40 range except for 2018 and 2019, which were from the lower start after the Brink, I'm pretty sure (~1:12 range).

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
There is weather moving into the west. Looks like nothing major but a chance of snow showers all weekend.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Not to offend anyone but that you manage to produce this on training day on dh course like Beaver Creek, you really need to be something. Where are days when Getty guys were some sort of standard for innovative pics...

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
you really need to be something.
I assume by "something", you mean "a poor photographer"?

The link above just goes to a Getty page full of galleries, and I don't see any skiing in there. Anyone know how to find it?

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@dbostedo thats pretty much exactly what I meant.
Search that @Sibhusky suggested shows all this years photo, and contrary to Getty photos from years ago, there's not a single one that would be at least a bit more then most basic shoot taken by super bored guy who wants to be anywhere else but on that hill. Maybe they would do for raceday where start would be shifted down 15min before race, and you go and pick first new position you find, you certainly don't do this for training runs, where you have way more space (and freedom) for some creativity.

Sponsor

Staff online