• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Men’s World Cup 2021

Skitechniek

Getting off the lift
Skier
Really sad, I feel so sorry for Braathen. Such an amazing talent, I really hope it's better than expected. But it looks like that right knee is in really bad shape.

Last 2/3 gates looked sketchy in general. Surface in the second run looked brutal as well, really firm to the point where the ski's were fighting for grip at the high speed parts.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yikes. That final pitch always causes something.
Wow, Pintu told us, over 1 sec ahead!
Very happy for Justin Murisier, local to Verbier, who got 5th. I think Adelboden was his first race when he came on the wcup.

80AD36BF-7DE7-4B5E-BA40-93586F92522C.jpeg

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Horrible news on Brathen
Really sad, I feel so sorry for Braathen. Such an amazing talent, I really hope it's better than expected. But it looks like that right knee is in really bad shape.

Last 2/3 gates looked sketchy in general. Surface in the second run looked brutal as well, really firm to the point where the ski's were fighting for grip at the high speed parts.
What is the news in Braathen? This sounds bad, but was hoping it was a concussion rather than a knee.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Some good picks by a lot of you! Chapeaux!

Tough crash for Braathen. Hate to say it, but it reminds you that the run isn't over until it's over...particularly on hills like this one. Unrelenting. The "good news" is that he's young and strong and he'll be back, regardless of how bad the injury is. I am hearing that it's his knee, and that it may NOT be as bad as initially thought. We'll see. Fingers crossed.

I was also reminded this AM that RCS had such a bad knee injury a few years ago that it was not known if he would ever ski again, let alone race on the World Cup, and look at where he is today. Luca will be back!

Pintu looked just dominant and confident. It may be a good example of how great skiing, great prep, dialed in set up AND a lot of experience on that hill can all come together. Great bag of tricks to have today. Really impressive.

Solid day for the USST. Unfortunate second run for Tommy Ford, but being able to salvage a top ten with than says a lot. The guy is going to be in every GS. Same thing for RCS. Good bad they did not bring it in their second runs. Onward. Radamus is coming on with his consistency and finishing. The kid has it, the whole package. We're starting to see it come together. He had a solid first run, and a very solid second run. Look aye the birth years of the field. Of those to score points and finish two runs, only Braathen is younger.
Atle McGrath, of course is another, but he was DNF today.

USST's Bridger Gile and George Steffey were 37th and 39th in the first run. Both are young, and I think we'll see good things. I did not see Ligety's run, but over 3 and a half seconds out is not great. 35th. Big error, or two....or just not bringing it. It's probably past the time for anybody to call him "Mr. GS". His last top 10, incidentally was a 7th a year ago....at Adelboden. Last GS podium was just about 3 years ago at Garmisch. Before that.....his 2015 win at Soelden. It's been a long decline, filled with injury and very finicky back.
I know that he wants to hold on through 2022, and ski in the Olympics. Objectively, I don't know if he can actually earn a spot, make the team and get a start at that point in time. Starting to look sad to me. Despite his incredible career.

HK? Any insight? @Primoz? He can't be in a good mood.

Guess we'll see what tomorrow brings for the entire field. I like Pintu again, Odermatt, and Zubcic. Not exactly earth shattering pics. Also would not be surprised to see either Ford or RCS in the top 5 for the American fans. And.....Maybe we see a big day for HK.

I have to say it. I miss Hirscher.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
I keep waiting for HK to "right the ship".
Odd that he seems off in both SL and GS - usually HK seems to be up in one and slightly off in the other.
He could be out of big or small globes by Schladming. So would focus on Cortina I guess.

Fingers crossed on Braathen...anything less than full ACL would sound like "good news" right now.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
HK? Any insight? @Primoz? He can't be in a good mood.
No, and I don't have any wish to pick up phone at the moment :D Well even if I would, I'm pretty sure conversation would be very short, as I doubt anyone in his team is in very good mood at the moment. Probably HK is in best mood of all in that group, and I'm sure he's not in good one ;)

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Ski Racing reporting that Braathen out for season

McGrath out for 6 weeks

Lifer

Putting on skis
Skier
Tough day for Coach Carey sitting 4 and 6 after run 1, to end 10 and 12. For sure a bright spot with River getting his first top 20. Congrats to him. Clearly feeding off the maturity of RCS, Tommy and Ted.

Pintu impressive today with no one on the same second. Dominant. Over 2 to 4th. At Adelboden. Second run worth watching again and again. Chapeau.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Wow, Pintu told us, over 1 sec ahead!
You can say that again! Think I’ll pick him for tomorrow. :ogbiggrin:

I did not see Ligety's run, but over 3 and a half seconds out is not great. 35th. Big error, or two....or just not bringing it.
No huge errors that I noticed just not juicing it. Seems like he wants to pressure the ski too early & for too long. He just doesn’t get the zap he needs to build speed. Just my impression, wasn’t paying strict attention once it was apparent he wasn’t gonna be fast.
Ford skied well but looked like his timing wasn’t matching up with the terrain as well as it could, maybe a bit too relaxed. RCS 1st run was some good skiing.
You guys already said it about Braathen (& McGrath), really sad. Lucas was really sending it in the 2nd run.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
3F7BE932-6CA0-445D-AEAD-25146E51BCE7.jpeg

Pintu
Meillard
Zubcic

Ford
Odermatt

Sponsor

Staff online