• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Men’s World Cup 2021

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm no expert, but I think he's gonna need to see an Orthopedist.
9710e93d-7c4c-4bed-af0a-c8f9aeea4384
:geek: :geek:
I’m amazed it’s just an mcl. Ugh, horrible.
I just saw the replay of some of the top skiers for the1st run Ford basically did as well as Zubcic if we could eliminate that one turn on the steep at the end where he got very low.

Pintu was just dialed. He had a pretty round line. Odermatt was pretty dialed on the top then disintegrated slowly. Zubcic seems to love the steeps. HK started well then just seems to be laboring. He wasn’t that far back then made some mistakes. Slo mo showed landing awkward air with diverging skis.

Skitechniek

Getting off the lift
Skier
Bleh, another horror crash. Tommy Ford had to be flown to the hospital by helicopter. Really sad again. Hopefully it isn't too bad, but it looked very serious. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Does anyone know if he's okay/how bad it is?

Skitechniek

Getting off the lift
Skier
Absolute master class by the winner. Absolutely stunning skiing.

But what the hell happened to HK? He has never skied this bad. He said he has been training technique, but I've never seen him so much on the inside ski.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Absolute master class by the winner. Absolutely stunning skiing.

But what the hell happened to HK? He has never skied this bad. He said he has been training technique, but I've never seen him so much on the inside ski.
Yep, AP made it look easy the past two days.
I wonder if HK would go so far as to just back off training GS while he is in the hunt for the SL globe (primarily due to fragmented results by everyone).
Probably not, but he is way back in Overall and GS standings.
:huh:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Where's Kranjec?
He had some pain in back for last 2 days, and was still hoping on morning it will work. After race course inspection yesterday, they decided it's not worth trying, so he went straight home before the race already for medical check. No info yet what really is, but it was clear yesterday already that Adelboden is over for him this year.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Bleh, another horror crash. Tommy Ford had to be flown to the hospital by helicopter. Really sad again. Hopefully it isn't too bad, but it looked very serious. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Does anyone know if he's okay/how bad it is?

Every report I've heard and read says he took big hits to his head, shoulder, and one of his knees. The head and shoulder stuff is apparently "minor" (i.e. not season ending stuff), but the knee is "under observation."

That crash was really horrible. The whole setup into the finish this year seems weird, with a little lip just past the line that I can't recall seeing in seasons past. And once you deviate from the main line there was definitely some chop and slough snow that had been re-frozen - that's the stuff that TF got into and BLAMMO.

Having been in the gate during a long hold back in the day, it's not a fun mental game. All of these elite athletes know each other and it's exceedingly tough to get back into the mental zone after a colleague goes down and there's a medevac hold.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Back in the early 80's, I caught an edge right as I skated across the finish line at a Squaw SL; I pitched forward, landing on my outstretched arm, blowing out my L shoulder which then necessitated surgery to repair--definitely not a fun way to end a race....

The year before I had landed a jump wrong at an event up in Oregon and blown out my R ankle, also requiring reconstructive surgery--that was a bad stretch of time for injuries, getting 5 surgeries in 5 years.

Last edited:
TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
l thought Braathen’s crash yesterday was horrific but Ford being knocked out was even scarier! Apparently he was conscious & recognizing people before he was airlifted. Like Braathen the one ski remained attached a little too long. Tough for RCS & Radimus to follow that.
I’ll always remember when Rahlves got launched right at the transition...

Fastest 2nd run again for Pintu :hail: ! Hirscher like but differentogwink
Good for Meillard to podium after the big mistake & great for Zubcic to put it all out there all the way down the pitch.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
A2070BED-3F6C-4CFB-A21C-6914173B89EF.jpeg

Pintu
Zenhaeusern
Noel

Vinatzer
Feller
Meillard

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just heard that Wengen is not 100% sure yet. Corona numbers are going higher in Switzerland and they are actually thinking to cancel everything. Final decisions on this should be today/tomorrow.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Great conditions in Adelboden and a hard surface that held far down the bibs in 1st. But quite grippy. Not sure if they have used much water at all.

Skitechniek

Getting off the lift
Skier
Great conditions in Adelboden and a hard surface that held far down the bibs in 1st. But quite grippy. Not sure if they have used much water at all.

Yeah, it looked very good.

Really weird, because in gs it seemed to me the ski's sometimes were really fighting for grip, whereas the slalom looked terrific. I don't get it.:huh:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Strasser looked so smooth to me, beautiful skiing.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Just heard that Wengen is not 100% sure yet. Corona numbers are going higher in Switzerland and they are actually thinking to cancel everything. Final decisions on this should be today/tomorrow.
Well, that would be a bummer. Hope they realize I don’t have much going here besides work and need these races to follow :)

Any word on when they may confirm? The area is so remote, not sure if that helps or hurts vis-a-vis COVID.

This from SRF:

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
False alarm :) Message just came and Wengen is now confirmed with normal program. Earlier this morning Swiss cantonal authorities gave green light, and now also FIS confirmed. Arrival day Monday, 1st training Tuesday, 12.1.. But there are some rumors that nothing is going to happen in Wengen except for racing (no hotels no nothing), and everyone will be out of it staying lower down in Lauterbrunnen. But that's just rumors, but even if true, except for way more logistics for everyone involved, there's no difference to races itself.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January