• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Men’s World Cup 2021

James

Out There
Instructor
On another note, can someone explain why everyone was burying themselves in th snow during the delays?
DFC2435E-D246-4056-919B-892AA2FB3596.jpeg

Those are some long poles.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
On another note, can someone explain why everyone was burying themselves in th snow during the delays?
Start house in Kitz is really fancy place, which means nice, cozy and warm, with actually pretty good food too :D Perfect for waiting, but not so perfect for your boots. And when it gets warm, and yesterday was pretty warm, you want to have boots hard. Getting them to outside temperature, instead sitting inside at +20c, helps, but when also outside is in plus degrees snow helps.

Those are some long poles.
Normally DH/SG poles are some 15cm longer then GS. It helps to get extra time on start, as you can push easier and more efficiently with longer ones then with short ones. Best comparison would be xc skiing, where poles (for skating) are normally some 10cm shorter then your height. While such poles would be great for start, they would be a bit too clumsy for skiing. So you pick something that fits best for both, pushing out of start and not too much for skiing. Normally guys around 180cm have 140-145cm poles for DH/SG, but it also depends on racer.

PS: As you probably know already, today's DH is cancelled.... fog and rain in bottom, snow on top.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Glad I peeked here too, now at least I won’t spend the day anticipating the race & wearing earplugs so I don’t inadvertently hear the results.

l ski with long poles so I can push faster than my friends to the powder
freshies ogwink .
I think Tomba was the first one I saw burying his boots in snow to keep them stiff. Oddermatt was in his liners with the shells buried in snow yesterday.
When l was at Kitz in 1981 to see the race, the start was still an archaic wooden shack & the netting was just waist high wooden pickets & bails of hay.

Watch closely from about 43:00, Phil Mahre, some good crashes & then the great Ingemar Stenmark bouncing his way thru his only WC DH.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm.... if they'd all just switch to carbon fiber boots, they wouldn't have to worry about the temperature! Maybe they need to talk to Dodge... ;)

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
This was the start house in December 2019. There is a glass-like annex (to right of this structure, not visible). This past summer, KSC overhauled this start house structure - hopefully maintaining some original pieces.

Wengen's start house (top of Wixi lift) is to the right. Given the more rustic feel of the the hill, it is unlikely the Lauberhorn tries to "keep up with the Jones".

The 1981 Hahnenkamm race is fun to watch - great views of the pre-race activity (Ingemar, Franz, Sailer, Muller, etc.).

3B83C4A8-17FD-4A42-9B68-D9207461166F.jpeg 4082DBF3-E23E-4613-A2C0-874B93003E64.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Hmm.... if they'd all just switch to carbon fiber boots, they wouldn't have to worry about the temperature! Maybe they need to talk to Dodge... ;)
I tried some of those on once, they hurt before I even buckled them. Prolly work great for WC :ogbiggrin:

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
At the time of the broadcast, a lot of people in Sweden shat themselves.
Lol, I’m thinking Ingemar almost did as well ogwink
gotta admit it took some balls to choose Kitzbuhel as his only downhill. He and Mahre both did it for the combined points. Phil Mahre was actually an OK downhiller.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
That's kind of confusing. In the middle of Stenmark's run they cut to #18 (Hans Enn) bouncing into the fence.
I know, very. A poor broadcast.
The famous call on ABC sports by Bob Beattie and Frank Gifford for the 1976 Franz Klammer Olympic downhill was actually recorded hours after the race ended. I heard an interview with Frank Gifford once where he mentioned that.

Here, I found it. He says 6 hours after!

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know, very. A poor broadcast.
The famous call on ABC sports by Bob Beattie and Frank Gifford for the 1976 Franz Klammer Olympic downhill was actually recorded hours after the race ended. I heard an interview with Frank Gifford once where he mentioned that.

Here, I found it. He says 6 hours after!

Yeah, and Bob and Frank were half in the bag having shared schnapps with the Austrians during post race celebrations.
The legend of Klammers win was certainly cemented by the energetic delayed commentary.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
The call...

New start list for tomorrow (Sunday)...
4E0F5B55-5E82-45D7-8A16-C4F5165305DD.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online