• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Men’s World Cup 2021

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Here is Braathen's second run in Kitzbuhel SL last year (2019).
He ran last as he was the leader after Run 1. Should be in first seed in both SL/GS now, so will see his name again.

& Kitz is the real deal when it comes to SL!

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Kilde tested positive on virus. There's still plenty of time before first speed races but as I'm sure he would be starting some gs to help him defend last seasons title, this might already decide one part of the battle.
Big part of some other team is in quarantine at the moment too, as one of racers tested positive and big part of men and women team were training together last week.
I have somehow feeling this season will either be canceled or rules will change and positive tests won't matter anymore. I doubt there's third option everyone were going for at start of season.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I doubt there's third option everyone were going for at start of season.
Wouldn't the third option be to just quarantine the particular racers or teams that test positive even if they miss races? Why would it have to be an all or nothing, either ignore positive tests or cancel the season, kind of thing?

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
That is current option for which I think it won't work. As I wrote, big part of one team is quarantine at the moment. Considering Kilde tested positive, most likely half of Norwegian team is quarantine... that's already 2 big teams out. Now since there were some other teams in same place as first team, it might be someone else is also in quarantine (no info on that yet). If someone in race tests positive, pretty much whole tour goes into quarantine. So I don't think this option is actually sustainable if you want to go through with the season. But let's wait and see.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
That is current option for which I think it won't work. As I wrote, big part of one team is quarantine at the moment. Considering Kilde tested positive, most likely half of Norwegian team is quarantine... that's already 2 big teams out. Now since there were some other teams in same place as first team, it might be someone else is also in quarantine (no info on that yet). If someone in race tests positive, pretty much whole tour goes into quarantine. So I don't think this option is actually sustainable if you want to go through with the season. But let's wait and see.
This is sad news but not surprising. Hope all who are infected pull through without complications.

Can anyone translate this or give a synopsis in English?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Can anyone translate this or give a synopsis in English?
You can use Chrome which will do it automatically, or go straight to Google translate.... here's the link with that article translated:

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Kilde tested positive on virus. There's still plenty of time before first speed races but as I'm sure he would be starting some gs to help him defend last seasons title, this might already decide one part of the battle.
Big part of some other team is in quarantine at the moment too, as one of racers tested positive and big part of men and women team were training together last week.
I have somehow feeling this season will either be canceled or rules will change and positive tests won't matter anymore. I doubt there's third option everyone were going for at start of season.

Just accept positives? Wow.

Skiing is not the only sport affected. Some other examples where individuals have been required to isolate whilst their sport continued without them:
  • In MotoGP Valientino Rossi
  • In F1 Sergio Perez
  • In golf Adam Scott (former #1 and 2013 US Masters winner)
  • In football Cristiano Ronaldo

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Well yes, either that or say we are done until further notice. It's hard to compare skiing WC with F1, MotoGP or NBA. With any of these sports, you can provide total isolation. Not nice thing, but it can be done. With skiing, it's simply not possible. Skiing being irrelevant sport with just a very small fraction of money compared to previously mentioned sports doesn't help either.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well yes, either that or say we are done until further notice. It's hard to compare skiing WC with F1, MotoGP or NBA. With any of these sports, you can provide total isolation. Not nice thing, but it can be done. With skiing, it's simply not possible. Skiing being irrelevant sport with just a very small fraction of money compared to previously mentioned sports doesn't help either.

COVID-19 has affected athletes in UCI Pro Tour cycling, which is a comparable logistical challenge to the FIS Alpine World Cup. Look at the Giro d'Italia, where two of the favorites (Simon Yates and Steven Kruijswijk) contracted the virus, and the latter's team decided to completely withdraw from the event after a further four team staffers tested positive. Yet the race continued without these athletes (though they had no chance of returning to the Giro, they could return to UCI events after recovery and two negative tests).

But I'm guessing things will get worse and the World Cup may have to pull the plug. The bubbles in which the teams, technicians, FIS staff, and media exist in have so many vectors, so many chances for infection. The travel, even restricted to Europe only, has issues. And countries are locking down. Both the aforementioned Giro d'Italia and the Vuelta a España have had to re-route their parcours to avoid France due to lockdowns.

It's not a normal season. We'll see what happens.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
"Not normal season" very much an understatement given we are one race in.....as mentioned above so many vectors and not enough money to really tighten up logistics.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Rudi Riet agree about TdF/Giro/Vuelta, but it's still slightly different then skiing. Cycling is more like xc skiing for example, where you can actually make some sort of isolation, even though I was actually surprised with TdF and all the people on climbs that there were no complications. But at time of TdF, real second wave in Europe was not here yet. We are just starting that now, and now, I'm pretty sure things would be different.
Anyway, with cycling or xc skiing, you can go out and train basically on your own, with closed group and noone around. For races, it's no (big) problem to close hotel and have only teams in one, journalists in the other one, organizers in third etc. and on slope you can somehow maintain this, even though on gondolas it's already hard not to mix different people. As soon as racing weekend ends, all this is gone. It's impossible to train on closed hills with noone else around. It's impossible for organizers to isolate for 6 months, and it's also impossible for racers to isolate for 6 months especially when they need to train in public slopes, use gondolas (currently we are still in time when most of skiing is done on glaciers which means either access trams or gondolas for 50+ people and few 100m queue on bottom station) etc. Another issue is that most of teams train together. With cycling you can have people training on their own, with skiing not so much. And when one guy tests positive, whole team is out, and in current time (and training), it's not just one team, but normally 2 or 3 teams, as it's normal, even in current situation, that different teams train together. In worse case, you can easily have 2 or 3 positive and 80% WC teams are in quarantine.
So honestly I just don't see this working. But yes, as you said, let's wait and see what happens. I hope for the best, but honestly don't have much expectations.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Parallel postponed...

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Marco Schwarz tested positive for corona and is out of Lech PGS. Different country different rules, so Austrian team can be on start without any issues.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
The phrase "successful two week postponement" made me laugh... I thought "What would an unsuccesful postponement be? They tried to postpone it, but somehow the event still went off? How do you fail a postponement?"

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Marco Schwarz tested positive for corona and is out of Lech PGS. Different country different rules, so Austrian team can be on start without any issues.

Yes, it is a total mess with different rules. Swedish women’s team in quarantine due to Finish rules, but they were moved to Sweden, tested again and now Swedish rules. So negative test=ok to race. Austrian team apparently don’t apply Austrian rules to their own team. Interesting.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
The phrase "successful two week postponement" made me laugh... I thought "What would an unsuccesful postponement be? They tried to postpone it, but somehow the event still went off? How do you fail a postponement?"

That is definitely a funny way to put it. I suspect failure would mean that the postponement was not enough to prevent it from being canceled altogether or being rescheduled to another location.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January