• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Men’s World Cup 2021

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
Who are the Olympic Channel ski commentators? The Eurosport U.K. guys, particularly Nick Fellows (with Finlay Mickel), are way over the top, especially when British skiers are on course, or a favorite DNFs. I thought I was tired of the term “British number one” from tennis, but Fellows really hangs his hat on that in World Cup. I feel for Dave Ryding carrying that label every time out, I suppose. Seems like a nice Lancashireman. And then you hear Fellows bellow “OH NO NO NO! Ryding has gone OUTTT!”

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ryding had a very good thing going today, then straddled. Was in doubt if he was even going to start today due to back pain... One of the British EC guys also very close to a good 1st run, showing real speed that would have given a good position for attack had he not straddled.
Was ”sure” to see SWE Jacobsen on the podium today as he had set himself up neatly in 1st with a super strong last 1/4, only 0:28 behind Pertl in the lead, going out as #12 in 2:nd. Good start, in good balance and picking up in pace, but then a straddle halfway into the course...

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Fellows is a bit of an idiot it was almost uncanny his ability to say something positive about a performance just as they straddle a gate.

I suspect the Rocket is just glad of any attention which helps sponsorship and funding given the VERY minor status of snowsports in the UK and within that how alpine is way less successful compared to freestyle/snowboard disciplines.

AlpedHuez

Skier
Fellows is a bit of an idiot it was almost uncanny his ability to say something positive about a performance just as they straddle a gate.
I meant to note exactly this point! Fellows needs a mid-career seminar at the Vin Scully School of taking a breath and a beat and not getting in the way of the moment.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Who are the Olympic Channel ski commentators?

For the Worlds it’s been Dan Hicks (NBC Sports everyman) and Steve Porino, with Lindsey Vonn doing some commentary for the speed events. They’re fine, not often over-the-top, and do commentary in a style that isn’t too technical for the often not-in-the-know U.S. viewing audience.

Hicks (and Vonn) does commentary from NBC’s studio in Connecticut, Porino from his home studio in Sun Valley. That means Pino is doing first run calls at 2am (so likely setting up at 1:15 or so). Circadian rhythm be damned!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Seemed like a lot of surprise ski-outs on the second run, but it was definitely exciting. Full results:

1613934742367.png

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Hey @Rudi Riet what is the difference between USSS and USSA?

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Seemed like a lot of surprise ski-outs on the second run, but it was definitely exciting.

Second run course was set by Austria and had some fun combinations, including the first “into” hairpin I’ve seen in international competition in ages. Said hairpin led into a delay gate - tricky set and a test of quality of course inspection. Also, the first 12 gates were set with a ton of offset and a delay into a hairpin which put many athletes on their tails. Combine that with the ruts that popped up and it was a DNF festival.

AlpedHuez

Skier
Eurosport’s Fellows and Mickel like to use the term “under-gate” a lot to describe particular pitches on the course (maybe more GS than slalom though). This struck me as a Britishism that I don’t think I would hear in U.S. expert commentary. And I don’t really know what they mean. What would be a more familiar American term for “under-gate”, or am I just unaware and you would use that term too?

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting to see Völkl take the top two spots. Can't remember the last time that happened.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Rebranding: U.S. Ski Association (USSA) rebranded as U.S. Ski and Snowboard (USSS).

You don't even WANT to have an idea of how much the organization spent in consulting fees and "marketing advice/direction" to reach that decision, and THEN the costs to redesign the logo, implement all of the changes, etc. Many are not so sure what it really yielded!

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
You don't even WANT to have an idea of how much the organization spent in consulting fees and "marketing advice/direction" to reach that decision, and THEN the costs to redesign the logo, implement all of the changes, etc. Many are not so sure what it really yielded!
When I was in Kitz in January of 2018, the logo was relatively new. A couple US athletes pointed out the logo had the Austrian flag in it.
Now, I can't look at the logo without seeing the red-white-red (flag). USSS hired the wrong consultants - that happens (trust me). ogsmile

1613948158520.png

Last edited:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive

This gives us a feel for WHY it was done, and how. Some would argue that while this had a lot of merit, the organization had many other more pressing needs at the time. Interesting read. Like going down memory lane. ONE logo per team, and for the overall organization, rather than every discipline team having their own logo.

When you do this for a ski club, if you pay the experts, it's costly. Doing it for this organization...very costly. But...largely a one time expense.

I was torqued off at the time, trying to help athletes raise funds to fund their own way as the USST struggled to close the "funding gap." Easy to throw darts at the USSS. But, man, I would not want Tiger's job!

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Along with Pintu at Adelboden, that may be the best run of slalom I have seen all season! Especially the bottom, Wow! Foss-Solavaag :hail:.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Along with Pintu at Adelboden, that may be the best run of slalom I have seen all season! Especially the bottom, Wow! Foss-Solavaag :hail:.
Agreed on Foss-Solvaag... and I actually thought the same about Pertl in the first run... he just looked like he was fighting for grip so much less than everyone else.... very smooth.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Agreed, @4ster! F-S uncorked a superb set of two incredible runs. Heia Norge!

And Pertl was also on another level - wowee!

James

Out There
Instructor
Here’s the slalom standings. There’s one more in Kransjka Gora, then the finals. I suppose if Schwarz has two Dnfs he could be caught.

5A2B6CD7-5C63-4C13-A007-02EE94B93D3F.jpeg