• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Men’s World Cup 2021

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Has Favre improved results post Mikaela?

I have not heard anybody suggest that. They broke up over 18 months ago. He’s always been a pretty solid GS skier, but he’s found a new gear and some consistency.

New skis?

That is what most are saying. Entirely new skis built by Head. I believe that there are a few variations, but one in particular havevbeen absolute speedwagons for him. Different layup, a touch longer, different sidecuts, and obviously a lot of “tweaking” the mount, plate, etc.
Might be the best example this season that skis and support “REALLY effing MATTERS” {in the words of an ex WC friend}.

His skiing really took off with them. My understanding is that other Head big guns did not want to make a change late in this season.

We’ll see what leaks out over the summer and fall. My understanding, BTW, is that most of the design work was geared toward Tommy Ford. Pre injury.,

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
:hail:Bravo Alexis!

Tomorrow’s SL
BB1D6A71-B218-42AC-9D9E-0C1ECEC9CCF0.jpeg

Schwarz
Noel
Foss-Solevaag

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
Much joy in french skiing today for Pintu -- 10 years on tour and his first big globe (only 3rd French skiier after Alphand and JCK, I think?).

Also, I think JB Grange is retiring, correct? He was rock solid for a number of years, with 2 SL titles. As a side note, he'll be OK as he's got the biggest ski shop in his home station of Valloire -- well worth a visit.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Schwarz, Feller, Pertl, Gstrien, Matt. The Austrians are becoming a crazy good slalom team!
Grange has always been a sentimental favorite, sad to see him go. He still had some admirable runs this season.
Good on Manny, Clement & Alexis for today’s final race! Especially Pintu, good to the last drop!

James

Out There
Instructor
Wow some third edge skiing going on. Pertl and Yule both got rocked back by something and went flying. Don’t know if it was the same gate.
004CCD66-F1BD-43DA-A7D3-B87F9577E12C.jpeg

Pertl, [edit- Gstrein] point of no return. He’d end up in the air and scraping the third edge. (tail) Just like below v.

EE55EC50-E0DE-487C-8E60-A6C91933339D.jpeg

Yule. He’s still got air time to come. Look at the bend of that ski! It’s got to be broken. What’s interesting is he’s looking to make that gate.

Last edited:
TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Pertl, point of no return. He’d end up in the air and scraping the third edge. (tail) Just like below v.
same rodeo for Gstrien, needed a few more centimeters

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Wow some third edge skiing going on. Pertl and Yule both got rocked back by something and went flying. Don’t know if it was the same gate.
View attachment 128922
Pertl, point of no return. He’d end up in the air and scraping the third edge. (tail) Just like below v.

View attachment 128923
Yule. He’s still got air time to come. Look at the bend of that ski! It’s got to be broken. What’s interesting is he’s looking to make that gate.
Pretty sure that's not Pertl ... Pertl is Volkl/Dalbello.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Very pleased for Pintu. Great day. Well deserved!
And, yes, Odermatt is going to be just dominant. An absolute force in the future!
He was supposed to be the next great thing after Ligety, but then Hirscher came along.
Timing is everything.
He has earned it.

James

Out There
Instructor
Pretty sure that's not Pertl ... Pertl is Völkl/Dalbello.
You’re right, it’s Fabio Gstrein.
So on steep terrain, do you drill the gates in perpendicular to the surface, or sort of in between that and vertical?
A9E5A367-DE09-4986-8F27-F31D16DD5A2E.jpeg

Crawling with crampons.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
They're supposed to be perpendicular to the surface on all terrain. Sometimes it's tough to get into the mindset of it because your brain wants to make them plumb up and down. But for safety you want the gate to be perpendicular to the slope - otherwise it's like pointing a spear uphill.

You’re right, it’s Fabio Gstrein.
So on steep terrain, do you drill the gates in perpendicular to the surface, or sort of in between that and vertical?
View attachment 128933
Crawling with crampons.

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
What was this being used in WC finals during the SL? Looks like testing depth , but they would know that when putting the gate in . He has another in his other hand
1A7745DE-DE2D-4D54-8FEE-64FC1FB72EB7.jpeg

Sponsor