• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Men's Boot-Length Baselayer with a Fly

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Hello Men of SkiTalk!

My husband is a big fan of the Patagonia boot-length capilene baselayer I got him a couple years ago. Unfortunately, they discontinued that model.
https://highmountainsports.com/patagonia-mens-capilene-thermal-weight-boot-length-bottom.html - for reference

I found one XL left that I ordered from another site, but was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for other brands. The requirement here is boot-length and a functional fly. I looked at Smartwool, Helly Hansen, Icebreaker - but they don't have the fly. He just got some bibs this year that he's excited about so really wants that "easy-pee" access, since the bib has a fly zipper.

Thanks!

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I like the Ridge Merino stuff I have. Give these a look.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Well... all my old "go to" options are gone. I hadn't looked in a number of years because I haven't needed any new 3/4 length base layer bottoms. I'll be watching this thread to see what pops up...

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Ah, was hard to tell in the pics. I ordered the Ridge ones for my husband, but good to know about these as well. Thanks!

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
I have the Smartwool ones and really like them. Here is another manufacturer just in case the other 2 dry up.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have the smartwool ones too (in the 250s') and they're great, however I think the Patagonia Capilene Airs are the best because they can drop to the ankle or easily go up to the shin/knee without fabric pressure and they breath better. More versatility, same warmth, breathe better. These are my first go tos and then the Smartwool's referenced above.

Scottsdale_Ski

Putting on skis
Skier
As an experiment I purchased a couple of pairs of Under Armor ColdGear leggings from one of their outlet stores (for around $30.00/pair) and cut them off to boot-length with a pair of scissors. I didn't finish the cut edges in any way.

I've put well over 120 days on those first 2 pair (I've currently got 6 pair, all bought from clearance/outlets): they've never unraveled or frayed in any significant way. They're "compression" fit, and fairly slick: even my race suit goes on over them with no drama, and they're reasonably warm. They can occasionally "roll up" 1/2 to 1 inch (RARE occurrence for me, however YMMV).

Not the most elegant solution... but very workable and the price is right!

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Building on what @Scottsdale_Ski wrote, I have two pairs of Uniqlo Heattech Ultra Warm tights (which have a fly) and cut them off just above the cuff at the bottom, which shortens them by 5 or 6". Presto - boot length and zero fraying or problems.

Sponsor