• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MEN'S World Cup 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Planning to take each of my girls to Kitz and Schladming before they go to college. Wouldn’t bother me if only 200 people showed up for those races when I go again.
For that you probably missed only possible option ever... last season :roflmao:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
University of Vermont is "UVM"? Since Vermont is "VT", I figured it would be UVT, or VT, or U of V.

Is the "M" just from the second syllable of Vermont, or is there something more to it?

Also:

"VT" is Virginia Tech.

"U of V" is nothing right now. University of Virginia goes by "UVA."

This reminds me of the old "UC" versus "CU" argument (the former is California and the latter is Colorado, even though it's not "Colorado University").

Whee?

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Also:

"VT" is Virginia Tech.

This reminds me of the old "UC" versus "CU" argument (the former is California and the latter is Colorado, even though it's not "Colorado University").

Whee?
much like IU (indiana) vs UI (illinois) and KU (kansas) vs UK (kentucky), despite all being "university of XXX"

it's just what it is

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Older cousin went to UVM as an undergrad, UVA for law school. I was 12-14, and totally confused! Even more whenI get a T-shirt as a birthday gift. They tended to say Vermont and Virginia!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Also:

"VT" is Virginia Tech.

Whee?
much like IU (indiana) vs UI (illinois) and KU (kansas) vs UK (kentucky), despite all being "university of XXX"

it's just what it is
Well IU actually does go by "Indiana University".... and some of the acronyms do get multiple uses. There are 3 major "OSU"s (Oklahoma, Oregon, Ohio), 2 major "USC"s (Southern Cal, South Carolina)...I'm sure there are others.

So VT could potentially be both Vermont and Virginia Tech (my alma mater); But clearly they've gone with UVM, which is unusual enough that I'm not surprised the announcer didn't know how it was typically referred to.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Well IU actually does go by "Indiana University".... and some of the acronyms do get multiple uses. There are 3 major "OSU"s (Oklahoma, Oregon, Ohio), 2 major "USC"s (Southern Cal, South Carolina)...I'm sure there are others.

So VT could potentially be both Vermont and Virginia Tech (my alma mater); But clearly they've gone with UVM, which is unusual enough that I'm not surprised the announcer didn't know how it was typically referred to.
I'm surprised a veteran, extremely experienced announcer at a ski event who wanted to make mention of the multiple UVM alumni in the race couldn't do the research (or have somebody else do the research) that it's UVM.

Add to that it's a race in Vermont and on national TV, and ... it's embarrassing. Also pretty clear midway through that he didn't know how to refer to it and could have just said "Vermont"

Ask random Joe on the street ... sure, totally understandable.

Dan Hicks in this situation? No.

James

Out There
Instructor
But clearly they've gone with UVM, which is unusual enough that I'm not surprised the announcer didn't know how it was typically referred to.
Unusual since…1791.

It may be unusual to know exactly why it’s UVM, but anyone who has had anything to do with the Northeast in skiing, or many other sports, or academics, knows it’s UVM.
It’s pretty egregious. Any American or Canadian in that crowd could’ve told him. (Since they’re pre-selected as skiers and mostly northeasterners)

The problem is if you have someone unfamiliar google “University of Vermont”, then UVM comes up. They call themselves that, but still use UVM. Never UVT.

Last edited:

Muleski

Inactive
I thought I heard Hicks fumble it once as “UMV.”

@James, spot on.

IF you follow ski racing, OR are from the Northeast, there is no confusion at all. None.

Go Cats!

James

Out There
Instructor
So training cancelled at Beaver Creek today due to snow?
There’s going to be two super g’s and two downhills to make up for LL?

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
So training cancelled at Beaver Creek today due to snow?
There’s going to be two super g’s and two downhills to make up for LL?
Training for *tomorrow* (tue 11/30) has already been cancelled, according to the fis website

SG Thu/Fri, DH Sat/Sun

DHTr Tue (apparently cancelled) and Wed (has to go off if they're going to run DH). Otherwise, they'll have to schedule DH training for Fri after the SG or Sat AM before the race (or cancel a SG to run DHTr) ... which seems like it shouldn't happen, but it might.

1638216181565.png

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think the cancellation is due to snowfall as much as due to warm weather. It's super warm in Eagle County right now and will only barely reach freezing overnight into tomorrow. Colder weather returns overnight into Wednesday so it should firm up for some DH training then.

The LOC is likely trying to preserve a smooth track by not training on it tomorrow when the highs will be in the upper-40sF/6-7°C tomorrow. There also may be limitations from the USFS on any chemical treatment that can be used on the snow (e.g. solar salt or urea).

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
I don't think the cancellation is due to snowfall as much as due to warm weather. It's super warm in Eagle County right now and will only barely reach freezing overnight into tomorrow. Colder weather returns overnight into Wednesday so it should firm up for some DH training then.

The LOC is likely trying to preserve a smooth track by not training on it tomorrow when the highs will be in the upper-40sF/6-7°C tomorrow. There also may be limitations from the USFS on any chemical treatment that can be used on the snow (e.g. solar salt or urea).
no snowfall for a while in either direction

it's warm.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looks like an extra SG is planned replace LL. 2xDH has been skied before.

Muleski

Inactive
It's VERY warm. I have heard from people paid to work on the hill.....not the big-zzz volunteer group that truth be told gets in the way....that they are still AMAZED that the event passed snow control. Obviously FIS wants it to happen and the organizers made the case that they can create he surface.

What I have heard is that FIS wants the final surface to have a minimum of 8" of rock solid water injected ice. And given the temps, and what's on the hill, that looks like a tall ask right now. It sounds like they are operating with all sorts of contingencies for schedule changes. These things do seem to always have a way of working out at the 11th hour, but this one is by the sounds of it a bit tense. I hear that the top half of the hill is pretty darn good shape. The lower half.....not so much yet. I was asked when the last time there was a two run DH on the WC was. I have no idea when, and if ever.

I guess than on the bottom half they are being very careful with any traffic over the surface. Even routine things like setting B netting are a challenge. Drilling right into the ground, which is in some places not really frozen. Thin snow.

I also have heard that all of the brightest minds in the snowmaking biz are huddled there, ready to use the latest technology and mixes in force whenever they get an opportunity.

Speaks interestingly to the "always reliable early season" in high elevation Colorado.

Fingers and toes crossed that they can pull this off.

Last edited:

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Speaks interesting to the "always reliable early season" in high elevation Colorado.
the finish is a little below 9,000 ft. IMO, the reliable early season snow is all above 10K ft ... Loveland (base >10K), Copper (base around 9700 ft; training up the mountain).

If SSCV has Golden Peak ready yet, it's been very recent; they've been training elsewhere ...

I'm sure the hill will make it somehow ... but ... yeah. I'm sure there's an option to move the finish up the hill.

James

Out There
Instructor
I’m curious as to why after every racer a course is slipped even on an injected surface. It cant possibly do anything unless something tumbled down. It’s nearly hard as rock. Formality?

Muleski

Inactive
the finish is a little below 9,000 ft. IMO, the reliable early season snow is all above 10K ft ... Loveland (base >10K), Copper (base around 9700 ft; training up the mountain).

If SSCV has Golden Peak ready yet, it's been very recent; they've been training elsewhere ...

I'm sure the hill will make it somehow ... but ... yeah. I'm sure there's an option to move the finish up the hill.

Well, in context, the base at BC is pretty damn high compared to most everywhere else outside of these that you've listed. Think even Aspen at 8K feet. I was referring to the discussion that I KNOW Eliasch has been having relative to what HE views CO as being. No more. I have two children who live and work there, and I generally know the weather. It's been warm.

And yes, not training at Golden Peak for SSCV. VR is concerned with the terrain available to the general public, and they don't even want the older athletes anywhere on the mountain. So they have been bouncing around, and actually training less. Coaches aren't concerned form what I hear. Its always the parents, right. MS probably did not miss much training at age 9.

I think they are looking at all sorts of scenarios. If I hear more I'll post. Hope it works out. Pretty great hill and venue.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
BC training in ca 25-30 mnts and you can follow via live timing on fis.com. Kind of an aquired taste thing, but you’ll learn to love it.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like they’re running a shortened course to avoid beating up the track. It’s warm at BC today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor