• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MEN'S World Cup 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
It’s A catch-22 isn’t it. We don’t broadcast World Cup ski racing because the viewership is too small but if it is inaccessible how can it grow :(

Same is true of a lot of sports with limited participation.

Lack of ski broadcasts is an even bigger pita down under.

There's usually a broadcast or two available for about a day available on youtube, usually in russian

Whoever owns the copyright is generally pretty quick to shut down content and/or channel. (Some stay up longer than others.) And then there's a scramble to re-locate it from elsewhere. And it's not real time.

Interesting post race commentary. Ed Drake is ex-WC from UK and generally has interesting points on courses, racers, technic aspects.

TS
Moose32

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Yeah, it sucks pretty bad when you know if you were sitting in a bar in Austria right now they would be watching all kinds of pre-race hype on ORF & it probably began weeks ago!
Was in Kitz a few years ago in early December and watched Lake Louise DH on ORF in Flannigan's Bar during prime time. Great fun - and irony or course.

TS
Moose32

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
I know everyone points at everyone else on this issue (Austria Ski Fed, FIS, ORF, NBC, Xfinity, etc) but not a great start for the new CEO in my opinion.

Last edited:

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Following a comment in the Ski Racing article linked above, I see this in my Peacock schedule

07816D69-4B0C-4A0C-B14A-9E1B32AE5945.png

Hope it’s for real

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Looks like they may have the dates backwards but there it is! It does require Peacock Premium $4.99 a month for me but it may be free depending on your TV provider. I just signed up.
FBEAB5E0-B3CF-4773-B967-10F2B1B7FB07.jpeg

Thanks @BrianB
I don’t see anything on the Olympic Channel yet but it gives me hope for the rest of the season.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Following a comment in the Ski Racing article linked above, I see this in my Peacock schedule

View attachment 145700
Hope it’s for real
Wow... I searched yesterday evening for this, and that wasn't there. But I see it now. Awesome.

I won't be watching live, so now I just hope the replay availability is there too. Last season, it was annoying because you couldn't watch on-going events from the beginning... i.e. if an event was ongoing you could only watch the live stream, not anything that happened before. And then sometimes the ability to watch the event once it was over took a little while to show up too. (Peacock isn't a very good streaming service... But it's free with my cable system, so I can't really complain.)

4ster

Instructor
Wow... I searched yesterday evening for this, and that wasn't there. But I see it now. Awesome.

I won't be watching live, so now I just hope the replay availability is there too. Last season, it was annoying because you couldn't watch on-going events from the beginning... i.e. if an event was ongoing you could only watch the live stream, not anything that happened before. And then sometimes the ability to watch the event once it was over took a little while to show up too. (Peacock isn't a very good streaming service... But it's free with my cable system, so I can't really complain.)
l usually do not watch live either as I am either in the mountain or pacific time zone. During the ski season I am usually on the hill during the day so don’t watch the races till that evening. I do my best to avoid knowing the results till after I’ve watched which I realize is sometimes impossible. Being a fringe sport though, it is a lot easier than say hearing the score of a football game.

Last year I bought a little adapter that allows me to hook up my iPhone or iPad to my big screen with my HDMI cable just for watching Peacock. It only takes a second to plug the cables in so it is pretty simple. My DishTV provider gave me a free month of the sports package that includes the Olympic Channel last month. When I went to cancel it the other day before the charges began I was pleasantly surprised that they are continuing the promotion for free, so I will also have the Olympic Channel coverage this year. I will probably watch the Peacock without commentary for the first run and then DVR the Olympic channel coverage to watch the second run.

James

Out There
Instructor
The problem with using Peacock replays, besides finding them, was they only showed the timeslot the original was scheduled to be broadcast in. Plus they weren’t always available day of.
So if there’s an hour delay, well you get monster trucks for an hour then miss the last hour. Maybe they’ve fixed that?It’s hard to believe a major network can be so incompetent.

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
Regarding Soelden, no surprises and we were saved at 11th hour last year by a USSA deal with Austrian Federation so we could watch streamed live on ORF. Maybe still forthcoming for this year?
What is worrisome is that last year NBC-Peacock announced their season coverage on Oct 14th. Nothing out of them so far and the Ski Racing article says NBC made no comment when they reached out.
Fingers crossed for at least the same NBC coverage as last season

TS
Moose32

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
In Peacock, I've searched everything under Sports and also for "SKIING", "SLALOM", "ALPINE" and can't find the listings shown above. Had no issues last year.
Any tips?

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I only see the listing for freestyle now. :( Maybe they were just making a placeholder or something in case a last minute deal comes through? Sorry for getting people’s hopes up if it turns out not getting shown this weekend.

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
In Peacock, I've searched everything under Sports and also for "SKIING", "SLALOM", "ALPINE" and can't find the listings shown above. Had no issues last year.
Any tips?
yup, no announcement yet from Peacock for coverage this year. Last year they announced on OCT 14th. Hopefully something soon

4ster

Instructor
Any tips?
I found it in "Live & Upcoming". Except now it is NOT there. Hope they are just updating & I didn't waste my $4.99 :doh: :huh::doh:

TS
Moose32

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
I only see the listing for freestyle now. :( Maybe they were just making a placeholder or something in case a last minute deal comes through? Sorry for getting people’s hopes up if it turns out not getting shown this weekend.
Thanks for confirming. Thought it was "user error" on my end.
Death, Taxes, Solden TV Coverage Angst.

James

Out There
Instructor
Looks like Graham Lonetto, former owner of Edgewise in Stowe, is providing service to the US Ski Team again.

U.S. Ski & Snowboard Partners with RACEtech-USA to Provide Race Equipment Service to U.S. Ski Team

About RACEtech-USA
Established in 2015 by co-founders Graham Lonetto and Dave Brennan, RACEtech-USA has operations in Park City, Utah with additional field support out of Stowe, Vermont. Using the latest automated machine and hand tools from their technology partners, Wintersteiger and SWIX, RACEtech conducts pre- and post-U.S. Alpine Ski Team training camp equipment service blocks throughout the year. Additionally, RACEtech will have a fully operational equipment service center during the on-snow training camps at Copper Mountain, CO.

TS
Moose32

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Got this from USST today via Instagram (also posted just now by USST on the Twitter)…so on Friday the Solden situation should be crystal clear.

[Moose32], thank you so much for your note and for your support. Though we are not directly involved with the negotiations between NBC and the rights holders, we have been doing what we can to guide discussions. Happy to share the following -

This weekend’s World Cup women’s and men’s giant slalom events in Soelden, Austria—the first alpine Olympic qualifying events of the season—will stream live with English commentary. Details on where to tune in will be available Friday morning here: https://usskiandsnowboard.org/latest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online