• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MEN'S World Cup 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So many wtf just happened moments at the ends of slaloms this season. Also bummer for Hirschbuehl who broke his ankle during the course of his double binding ejection in the second run

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Aaargh! I fell asleep while waiting for the second run to start (I'm debilitated due to the bloody C****-nn thing, grrrr), and woke up some two hours later...to watch a "replay" is not really my thing, I prefer the drama of "live" transmissions....

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
Haha! What a race! Didn't see that coming. Obviously the course deterioration played a big role, plus a little luck, but Braathen delivered when no one else could. I think the commentators missed just how slow the snow was on the last 15 or so gates which were relatively flat and baking in the sun. Seemed that many of the guys that successfully navigated the upper pitches dumped the better part of 0.5+ seconds at the bottom.

It seems like no one wants to win races this season.....how many times have we seen the leaders falter on either the first or second run? Course conditions have played a role, and there is a revolution going on in SL technique / tactics and that may also be playing a contributing factor.

Great entertainment in any case.
Just curious...what is this revolution you speak of?

But it is definitely crazy how the so-called big guns have failed to deliver when it matters. I was punching the air in celebration for HK when he booted those last few gates...and didn't Noel do something similar earlier this year?

wnyskier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just curious...what is this revolution you speak of?
Watch Pinterault vs Foss-Solevaag or Noel on the steeps. Pinterault is the epitome of awesome technical SL skiing by the current paradigm. Notice the top of the turn and the pressure phase. Compare that to F-S and Noel who redirect the skis more into the fall line before engaging and have a much shorter pressure phase. They are basically cutting off the top of the turn and skiing a more direct line of attack than the current SL paradigm. On the flats or gates where P and F-S can cleanly ski by rolling the skis on edge the technique isn't very different.

Nice video of F-S training F-S training at Levi

I don't fully understand the setup they're using. The upright stance usually reflects a boot/binding with less forward lean (i.e. angle of spine and shins are expected to be roughly parallel). F-S sometimes looks like he's tail gunning somewhat more than Noel, but obviously they are able to get the pressure onto the ski on steep icy pitches. We also don't know what they have for skis in terms of sidecut parameters, waist position and mounting points, other than they are unobtainable.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Watch Pinterault vs Foss-Solevaag or Noel on the steeps. Pinterault is the epitome of awesome technical SL skiing by the current paradigm. Notice the top of the turn and the pressure phase. Compare that to F-S and Noel who redirect the skis more into the fall line before engaging and have a much shorter pressure phase. They are basically cutting off the top of the turn and skiing a more direct line of attack than the current SL paradigm. On the flats or gates where P and F-S can cleanly ski by rolling the skis on edge the technique isn't very different.
Seems like Noel is at times jumping out of the pressure phase over into the other turn. Braathen too in that Wengen run, but his body is further back and upright. Foss-Solevaage is so smooth. More upright torso also, like Braathen. Similar body types?

F-S at 3min, Noel at 7:15

James

Out There
Instructor
I feel like this might be common knowledge, BUT….in case you missed it today, one of the forerunners for the DH Training run at the Hahnenkamm was some Austrian kid:

HIRSCHER, Marcel

Hmmmm
Has Hirscher ever raced on the Streif before?

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
I feel like this might be common knowledge, BUT….in case you missed it today, one of the forerunners for the DH Training run at the Hahnenkamm was some Austrian kid:

HIRSCHER, Marcel

Hmmmm
Yes, and Austrian federation, team and news is going crazy with drama on this one....especailly if he decides to race it!

(Interestingly....Rossi boot, he tested both and liked the blue over white which is interesting given how much he's looked into dyes).

For what it's worth, doesn't sound like a "on a whim" decision. Like anything else he does, sounds like he is fully prepared and taking this very seriously.
Not a bad promo for his brand as well! Media coverage is equal to a big dollar amount marketing wise.

Not everybody on the Austrian team is so happy he's taking the spotlight.....let's face it....he's still a massive draw.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I love his comment: "It's bumpy, they said".
Never been a fan of MH but, but, got to admire him for what he has done, he is doing and he will be doing.
Sure would be nice to see him coming back, it would stir things up and, as already seen these days, ruffle some feathers up! Also, one thing, would HK reactivate to his former self?

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
He will be running it as forerunner all trainings and races (as many as there will be, as weather won't and is already not playing real nice). But that's it. There's no racing planned, even though everyone and their dogs in Austrian media were speculating for last few weeks about him starting (more SL then DH, and DH was surprise for everyone) after seeing few of his gate training photos. But honestly, it's missing "a little bit" in his skiing to be racing down the Streif, and of course not being in last 5, as I doubt he would go racing knowing he's far back. Considering they were flying drones behind him all the time, even if it's still not allowed to do that on FIS races, it means it's more PR stunt then any real racing or any real racing plans for future.

Vicmoto

Booting up
Skier
I believe that this is all about advertising his "Van Deer" brand. He's really committed to bringing his skis to the World Cup. Some nice pictures of Marcel + Van Deer + Rossignol group boots&bindings in the Hahnenkamm is priceless.
Well done!
I don't think that we will hear again about Marcel racing for long (if ever again).

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm not doing so great in the predictor challenge, but then I've gotten into our busy season and have missed a few prediction weeks.
Meanwhile, predicting for Kitzbuhel, I was inspired to look up the trailer for Streif.
Worth watching to get in the mood.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug and I have skied with Daron Rahlves a few times, I wonder if he feels like he's going as slow as I do when I'm skiing with a friend who's just starting to get off the green circle runs and trying the blue squares.

Last week we were on the chair with him and he was getting ready to head to Slot at Squaw. He was skiing down the cat track flying past peole bending over buckling his boots more competently than most of us can ski the cat track while paying attention.

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
(Interestingly....Rossi boot, he tested both and liked the blue over white which is interesting given how much he's looked into dyes).
Sorry for being nitpicky, but it is actually a special white/beige version of Lange boots rather than Rossi boots (I know that they are the same):

Seems like Hirscher uses blue boots for SL and GS, but those special ones for speed:

I have no insider info on this, but I wonder if those boots may be a sign of an upcoming marketing "trick." I can only imagine what the response (and sales) will be if Lange release a signature Marcel Hirscher model of their RS/World Cup boots.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I can only imagine what the response (and sales) will be if Lange release a signature Marcel Hirscher model of their RS/World Cup boots.
Intel has been confirmed that Marcel went to Lange (and Look), they didn't recruit him. And if it was missed, his skis, Van Deer are being produced by Augment.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Realistically... what other chance then Lange there is anyway? Every other boot is from ski company. Sure Lange is same as it's in Rossi house, but Lange is pretty much only boot that is not considered to be ski company related among "normal people". And if you want to put out new ski, you certainly don't want anyone would see you (Hirscher in this case) connected to some competitive ski company.

Status
Not open for further replies.