• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MEN'S World Cup 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Intel has been confirmed that Marcel went to Lange (and Look), they didn't recruit him.
I can totally believe that. But now that he is using their product, it might make perfect sense to use it in their marketing.

Realistically... what other chance then Lange there is anyway? Every other boot is from ski company. Sure Lange is same as it's in Rossi house, but Lange is pretty much only boot that is not considered to be ski company related among "normal people". And if you want to put out new ski, you certainly don't want anyone would see you (Hirscher in this case) connected to some competitive ski company.
Dalbello is the only other option that comes to my mind.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Dalbello <=> Volekl.
(Roxa <=> Elan, FWIW, BTW)
I think @Primoz is right, of all the high profile boots, Lange is the only one still perceived as "semi-independent" from the ski brand it is supposed to pair with (Dynastar)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Lange just went to a new blue (and Rossi a dark gray) this year which is actually a darker pigment. When I meet with Thor Verdonk, I will ask him about this and Marcel's pigment impaired white boot.
B3456CCB-2707-4557-9F90-CDA990C292F4.jpg

E6618E31-A71F-44DD-8FAC-76581180B8E7.JPG

TS
Moose32

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
1642689778005.png

PROGRAM CHANGE:
In agreement with all organizational partners, the jury has decided the following program: Thursday, the 20th Janner 11:30am: Final practice Friday, 21st. Janner, 11:30 am: Kitzbühel departure Saturday 22nd January 10:15/13:45: Chicken Combs Slalom Sunday, 23rd. January 13:30: Rooster comb departure ••• ⚠ PROGRAM CHANGE ⚠ In agreement with all partners, the Jury has approved the following programme: Thursday, Jan. 20th, 11:30 a.m.: Downhill training 2 Friday, Jan. 21st, 11:30 a.m.: Kitzbühel Downhill Saturday, Jan. 22nd, 10:15 a.m./1:45 p.m.: Hahnenkamm Slalom Sunday, Jan. 23rd, 1:30 p.m.: Hahnenkamm Downhill

Not sure what was "Breaking" - possibly the slalom was switched to Saturday.
  • Thursday, Jan. 20th, 11:30 a.m.: Downhill Training 2
  • Friday, Jan. 21st, 11:30 a.m.: Kitzbühel Downhill
  • Saturday, Jan. 22nd, 10:15 a.m./1:45 p.m.: Hahnenkamm Slalom
  • Sunday, Jan. 23rd, 1:30 p.m.: Hahnenkamm Downhill

Does anyone know the difference between the "Kitzbuhel Downhill" and the "Hahnenkamm Downhill"? Is the first one shorter? Do you still get your name on the gondola if you win on Friday?

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone know the difference between the "Kitzbuhel Downhill" and the "Hahnenkamm Downhill"? Is the first one shorter? Do you still get your name on the gondola if you win on Friday?

The Hahnenkammrennen is the "official" weekend: the DH and SL are used to determine the Sieger (champion) of the weekend's races. Back in the day it was just the one DH and SL for the weekend. This extra DH is just the "Kitzbühel Abfahrt," without the gravitas of being the official Hahnenkamm - even if the course is identical.

TS
Moose32

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
The Hahnenkammrennen is the "official" weekend: the DH and SL are used to determine the Sieger (champion) of the weekend's races. Back in the day it was just the one DH and SL for the weekend. This extra DH is just the "Kitzbühel Abfahrt," without the gravitas of being the official Hahnenkamm - even if the course is identical.
So if you win your first time in Kitzbuhel on Friday, is your name going on a gondola?

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And no SG this year. Draw underway, so far (start numbwer in green)
Skärmavbild 2022-01-20 kl. 17.14.20.png

James

Out There
Instructor
I don’t get it. They skip super g, have a regular length downhill instead? Is this for wcup points?
Seems like a bad idea to have two full length downhills on the Streif. They’re jealous of Wengen?

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t get it. They skip super g, have a regular length downhill instead? Is this for wcup points?
Seems like a bad idea to have two full length downhills on the Streif. They’re jealous of Wengen?

It's not unprecedented to have two full-length DH runs on the Streif. And that snow is hard AF - it can handle an extra go.

As to the lack of SG, that's anybody's guess - though it could dovetail with the FIS' move toward making a more "equitable" distribution of speed versus tech events. And yes, the second DH is an official World Cup points race.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's WC allright, unsure if you get a gondola. You did for the SG:s though as well as the SL.
Here's Hargin after his SL win in Kitz a few years ago.

Skärmavbild 2022-01-20 kl. 18.05.09.png

Edit: Apparently they hand out gondolas a little freely to anyone they deem worthy:

Skärmavbild 2022-01-20 kl. 18.09.35.png

James

Out There
Instructor
Well here’s the results of the training runs.
Goodness, Clarey is 41 years old!
Does Kilde just slow down at the end of his 2nd training run? (TRA 3, TRA1 was cancelled)
D4D8A15E-E8ED-4987-B797-9173E56486D3.jpeg

31883DA2-8CC9-44FD-9198-DBC152C84BE2.jpeg

Training 3, about 2/3rds of normal course.
0CF5986C-4426-4898-BB48-B0F409F3A425.jpeg

1B7D8C92-5937-46D6-AE27-C436453A822D.jpeg

Blast from the past. Bode skis off the wall, 2008. Ties with Mario Scheiber 0.27 behind Didier Cuche.

Results from that race.
37816191-C931-4922-A2C6-92F900C7FBC8.jpeg

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Edit: Apparently they hand out gondolas a little freely to anyone they deem worthy:

View attachment 156075
Lisa is a bit different story. Surely she didn't win Kitz DH, SG or SL race, but she's from Kitzbuehel, and she won 3 medals on WCH last season, including being World Champion in mass start (first and only Austrian women and only second Austrian to be biathlon World champion), plus she won individual race overall WC globe last season. So she got extra present in shape of gondola. If she wouldn't be from Kitzbuehel, she would never get gondola, but then again, she didn't really got it for nothing either.

As for gondola for Kitzbuehel DH... I'm not 100% sure now, but I think you get gondola only for original Hahnenkamm rennnen, which is DH on Saturday, well Sunday this time, as Saturday will be SL day. So most likely only 2 gondolas will be named this year. Otherwise they are 3... one for SG, second for DH and third for SL. For SL you also get your own chair on Ganslern chairlift (chairlift leading to top of SL start).

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lisa is a bit different story. Surely she didn't win Kitz DH, SG or SL race, but she's from Kitzbuehel, and she won 3 medals on WCH last season, including being World Champion in mass start (first and only Austrian women and only second Austrian to be biathlon World champion), plus she won individual race overall WC globe last season. So she got extra present in shape of gondola. If she wouldn't be from Kitzbuehel, she would never get gondola, but then again, she didn't really got it for nothing either.

As for gondola for Kitzbuehel DH... I'm not 100% sure now, but I think you get gondola only for original Hahnenkamm rennnen, which is DH on Saturday, well Sunday this time, as Saturday will be SL day. So most likely only 2 gondolas will be named this year. Otherwise they are 3... one for SG, second for DH and third for SL. For SL you also get your own chair on Ganslern chairlift (chairlift leading to top of SL start).

Ah, being in a "biathlon country" she's not unfamiliar to me. Had no idea she's from Kitz and that explains it. Still a bit "odd" though. But I get it. They wanted to honor her in the abslote best way they could think of, so they gave her a gondola.

James

Out There
Instructor
In what year will they run out of gondola cabins to name?

I take it limited or no fans this year?

A look at the course-

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@James no idea, but it doesn't seem there's not that many "empty" gondolas when you ride up and watch what's coming against you. But I have never been counting how many empty ones there really is. It might be, they will start adding names to the other side, as currently name is only on "front" side. :)

James

Out There
Instructor
Two names on one! Noo…
Going to have to put in another gondola!

If it comes to it they’ll have to separate out something. Maybe put slaloms in a different area. You can’t do it by date as Franz Klammer will be out in the field with the old guys. Can’t have that.

Meanwhile, found this-
——-
As a biathlete, Lisa Hauser doesn’t race the Streif. But in her sport, she is one of the very best. After winning the World Championships in Pokljuka, Lisa received a gondola dedicated to her too – as all athletes of the Kitzbuehler Ski Club do who are Olympic or world champion.
——————————-

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yeah and most of top guys aren't too happy about it. I actually agree with this. Sure "old" one was more dangerous, I guess, but it doesn't mean you need to push without thinking, becayse track allows you to do it in one corner, even though in next corner you crash then. And as Feuz said, you don't really change old classics.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If anything it looks like a setup for more crashes, rather than trying to prevent them like they explain in the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor