• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MEN'S World Cup 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Evidently there was a hangup on this, because Rossi/Lange was not going to let him use their boot. Not sure how it worked out, or if it actually totally has. But sounds like it’s 99% there.
Sounds like Liensberger should have hired his negotiators.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Obviously we can ALL see him on Instagram, which has morphed into the planet’s biggest marketing platform. And yes, for 99.99% of the population, the Lange and “Rossi” boot is the same. However, consider a few things. Rossignol is NOT pleased to be unable to resign HK, though presumably that simply could have paid more. That is generally how it works.

HK is notoriously difficult when it comes to his equipment. It has been described to be as being a huge, immature pain in the ass. And nothing new. He has always blamed any of his own shortcomings on his
“setup.” MH was incredibly difficult, too, but wise to not take it public. This past season, HK’s skiing improves along with his results after months and months of screwing around with his stuff. A lot of it, evidently his stable of boots. He finally was happy, and fast. Could it have been late season weather, light and surface? Yeah, maybe.

So, “his boots”, the actual dozens and dozens of pairs of them actually are not “his,” as they almost certainly by contract belong to Rossi. My guess. Now, I have never heard of an athlete being told to send the boots back to the old company. We also don’t know {do we?} what is going on with his support team, and who has the data and logs with respect to the actual boot work and results.

It could be that Rossi/Lange is fine with him being in new blue boots. It sure seems like there is some deal or co-marketing,branding deal with MH, VD and Rossi/Lange. See the beige VD Lange. BUT....perhaps it was a race room explosion with “Eff you! You want YOUR boots, built by our people, our intellectual property, they YOU SKI ON ROSSI! And, no we will not sell you the boots. We’re now enemies.”

That’s my guess. And unless he is a fool, he has a room full of boots. I am waiting to hear about his boot tech and service team. This will just delay, perhaps, the process of getting dialed it. And probably will test HK’s patience and timeline. But they will get it right.

A few month ago there was speculation about how “legit” Van Deer was going to be. With all that has unfolded, I would say VERY legit. This is for real. They clearly have everything they need at their hands, and a large war chest of Euros.

I was just chuckling thinking about this versus Bode the ski entrepreneur 3.0. Not much of a comparison, IMO.

This WILL be fun to watch. To @ScotsSkier ’s point, I assume that all of Augment’s top talent is fully engaged with this. Time will tell. I think that CROC, then rebranded Augment always designed and build great race skis, but were kind of cash starved. Hence no real WC presence. Whether it’s RedBull, or whomever, VD seems to not have that problem.

And yeah, Rossi did not see this. Help HK win globe, finish so strong, pay bonus money, sign new contract and move toward 20 years together. Easy. Oops!

Guessing on the boot scenario. We’ll see.

Cousin {who lives there} reminded me that HK and his GF live in Salzburg. Almost all of the year. Have a vacation home in Norway, and a beach/island one. Almost an Austrian,

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah signing HK means they’re too big to fail for awhile at least.
How long is the contract with HK? He’ll be 28 this summer.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Now, I have never heard of an athlete being told to send the boots back to the old company.
Isn't that more or less what happened with Liensberger? They're our boots, you only get to wear them on our skis?
In my view, their stance was understandable but looked churlish. "Keep those boots, but you're not getting any new ones" would have seemed a reasonable compromise. But what do I know.
Are genuine World Cup plugs so different to stock plugs she couldn't have bought her own elsewhere, worked with a bootfitter of her choice and painted them if Rossi objected? Do ski pool rules stipulate that athletes can't buy their own kit?

In Kristoffersen's case, they'd look pretty mean if they have already have a deal in place with Hirscher's company but refuse to supply one athlete.
Also, what would be better for them - having him win in Lange boots or in someone else's?

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Rossi did not see this. Help HK win globe, finish so strong, pay bonus money, sign new contract and move toward 20 years together. Easy. Oops!
Certainly whoever put together next season's catalogue didn't. It still puts his name to Look bindings too ...

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Isn't that more or less what happened with Liensberger? They're our boots, you only get to wear them on our skis?
In my view, their stance was understandable but looked churlish.
I agree when this went down with Liensberger it looked churlish. Probably HK has a much stronger negotiating position than she did at the time, with his numerous WC victories (this was before Liensberger won the SL globe), and if I remember right there was also opposition from OSV, or at least not support, which HK probably doesn’t have a similar situation with the Norwegian fed.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Certainly whoever put together next season's catalogue didn't. It still puts his name to Look bindings too ...
It will be intereresting to see if HK sticks with the marker bindings he was experimenting with last season or if he goes back to look like most of the VD athletes seem to be going with.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It will be intereresting to see if HK sticks with the marker bindings he was experimenting with last season or if he goes back to look like most of the VD athletes seem to be going with.
Looks like he is sticking with marker,

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What I find very interesting and will be looking into is where Marcel was so addiment on the Marker binding that he basically forced Amer to design the Ikon binding then when he started Van Deer, he just went to Look. Why didn't he just go to Look right from the start?

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
What I find very interesting and will be looking into is where Marcel was so addiment on the Marker binding that he basically forced Amer to design the Ikon binding then when he started Van Deer, he just went to Look. Why didn't he just go to Look right from the start?
Could it be a deal between Augment and Look? In previous seasons skicenter.it and I think Augment themselves were selling Augment with a choice of Tyrolia or Look bindings. This season Look was the only option.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Could it be a deal between Augment and Look? In previous seasons skicenter.it and I think Augment themselves were selling Augment with a choice of Tyrolia or Look bindings. This season Look was the only option.
I do know that Marcel went to Lange for his boots. I am sure thats where the partnership started with Look and I am sure the Rossi group are supplying them with bindings. I am thining Marcel, with his affinity/confidence in particular products, he his offering that level of flexibility for the athletes they recruit. I imagine Rossi group might push back eventually if Van Deer keeps taking athletes like Kristofferson from them though. ;)

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Michael Matt switches from Rossignol to Volkl (and Dalbello, I suppose):

On the one hand, this is understandable. Perhaps the main driver of this decision is money. Also, his resent results have been good but not great, so it would be natural to try to change something. On the other hand, I can only think of one male slalom skier on Volkl who consistently produces strong results (Foss-Solevag), and there aren't many on the female side, either. So will be interesting to see how this match will work out.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Michael Matt switches from Rossignol to Volkl (and Dalbello, I suppose):

On the one hand, this is understandable. Perhaps the main driver of this decision is money. Also, his resent results have been good but not great, so it would be natural to try to change something. On the other hand, I can only think of one male slalom skier on Volkl who consistently produces strong results (Foss-Solevag), and there aren't many on the female side, either. So will be interesting to see how this match will work out.
Pertl
Gross (though he's getting old/injured)

Women:
Popovic
Wickström
Dubovska
Mina Fuerst Holtmann (though I think she's moved to Atomic this summer)
Chiara Mair

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pertl

Women:
Popovic
Wickström
Dubovska
Chiara Mair
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I didn't mean that there are no slalom skiers on Volkl at all; clearly, there are, but very few of them consistently make it into the top 10 (which is, presumably, where Matt would want to be). Of course, this might be because of the skiers and not the skis (and/or because of the marketing budget that Volkl has).

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
I mean, sure, but consistently in the top 10 is pretty slim pickings in terms of brands. ... it's basically rossi/atomic/head.

Volkl has always (recently) had a pretty small stable of WC athletes, with much more success on the women's side than the men's side, though they've had a pretty consistent presence in the top half of the SL standings.

Matt broke onto world cup on Blizzard. Moved to Rossi. Been there a while, as you said.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Pertl

Women:
Popovic
Wickström
Dubovska
Chiara Mair
Emelie retired after 20/21, but she did pretty well before she got injured. Never really got back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online