• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MEN'S World Cup 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Mod Note: This thread has been split after a few posts, and is only the MEN'S world cup thread now. The WOMEN'S thread is here: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/women’s-world-cup-2021-2022.24649/

Join in the predictor rankings for SkiTalk.com
*Thanks to @dbostedo for organizing it.

Starting World Cup 2021-2022 Thread. Stretch role.
  • Who do people like at Solden?
  • Who will skip Solden to give themselves another few weeks to heal (and avoid the wall)?
  • Anyone else disappointed that BoP is just speed events? I am going and was excited about the traditional Sunday GS - but is SG, DH, DH.
  • Who wins the Big Globes?
  • Any other predictions or thoughts on the season?
seq-shonfelder-6998-7006-large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Thanks for starting this!
Guess it’s time to at least try to think about it. With COVID still impacting travel and border closures, it’s been another odd summer with relatively limited and in some cases isolated training. Though the masses seem to have all been in Saas Fee and Zermatt lately.

For example, I hear and I “think” that Alice Robinson is in great shape, and has been training “really well.” But she’s been with a couple of teammates and her full support team of coaches by themselves in NZ. So, who knows? I am a huge fan, but….dunno. Same for MS, PV, LG-B. I have no idea!

On the guys side, I feel equally clueless. I am expecting some big breakthroughs from a few young guns….if they are 100% healthy. The two Norwegians, for a couple.
Keep in mind how young and fast Odermatt is.

I expect to see RCS skiing like a rocket on his new setup with Head. Will not surprise me to see him consistently on or close to the podium. He is rumored to have found another couple of gears. Bigger margins over his teammates.

On the USST, probably about time for River Radamus to move up, consistently. And show some flashes.

But honestly….have to think more about Soelden. And ask around. I have no idea.
I agree that Odermatt is a strong pick.

I have my fingers crossed for BoP, and for Copper being ready to train in a couple of weeks. Have no idea how that will play out. Well, I hope!

Thanks again for the thread!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor

I’m going with Kilde Pinturault & Shiffrin at Solden. I’d like to pick Odermatt & Robinson but I think the experience & consistency of Pintu & Shiff will pay off early season.

l also think Shiffrin will take the big globe this season :ogcool:

Do we want a separate Men’s & Women’s thread like last season?

Men’s calendar
05BC7984-1C4B-48D9-9364-FE11F5BAA2D2.jpeg

AFDB696D-B977-4B9A-A985-A667CD2B551B.jpeg

Women’s calendar…

https://www.skitalk.com/threads/women’s-world-cup-2021-2022.24649

Last edited:
TS
Moose32

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Mod Note: This thread has been split after a few posts, and is only the MEN'S world cup thread now. The WOMEN'S thread is here: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/women’s-world-cup-2021-2022.24649/

Starting World Cup 2021-2022 Thread. Stretch role.
  • Who do people like at Solden?
  • Who will skip Solden to give themselves another few weeks to heal (and avoid the wall)?
  • Anyone else disappointed that BoP is just speed events? I am going and was excited about the traditional Sunday GS - but is SG, DH, DH.
  • Who wins the Big Globes?
  • Any other predictions or thoughts on the season?
Great questions ogsmile
  • For the men, I think picking Solden is tougher as there are some injuries, and to me, not a clear favorite. But will go with Marco at Solden as I think his more vertical transitions help him a bit on the hill (or wall). I am not sure I have heard any men are skipping yet - that usually is announced in the next 10 days.
  • The big question for the men's season, IMHO, is how the Norway team recovers...from injuries and the off year by HK (who also was injured in the offseason). The young guns need to recover, Kilde's right knee looks strong now, but how does it feel in late January? Can he compete for the big globe? HK is big wildcard. Can HK mentally/emotionally handle a slow start?
  • For BoP (SG, DH, SG), I am disappointed there is no GS at BoP as it brings out tech skiers and I like watching a two-run event. If a conflict arrives, maybe I switch my schedule to go in 2022 but right now I am going.
  • In the end, I am hoping for a super-cheesy poster for the Big Globes with Kilde and Shiffy. Atomic will love it
Excited to get the season going.

4ster

Instructor
TS
Moose32

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Works for me :)

Some beautiful SL training from HK...

Hoping Ford gets back but looks like it won't be Soelden...
Interesting video of HK. Clearly not his top gear and looks like he is working on something. To me, it looks lik ehe is focusing on roundness and getting feet away from the gates (which gets him in trouble).
Good heads-up on Tommy Ford. Did not know he may miss but that makes sense. Always a few who want to a knee off the wall and give them another month of training for the balance of the season.

4ster

Instructor
If you happen to have missed this...

That's some damn fine skiing on display right there by Mr. Ryding. :ogcool:
Love watching that guy ski!

Anyone know if Peacock is broadcasting races this year? If so what tier? How about Olympic Channel? Any other US viewing information, I haven’t heard or seen anything.
Mostly concerned about Soelden right now!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Since it's an Austrian race, it won't be on Peacock, like last year. Here's a little of the Peacock/NBCSN schedule from USSkiandSnowboard.org for 2021 - just Killington and Beaver Creek it looks like:

I'm not sure why it's hard to find more complete listings... but every season it is.

4ster

Instructor
Since it's an Austrian race, it won't be on Peacock, like last year. Here's a little of the Peacock/NBCSN schedule from USSkiandSnowboard.org for 2021 - just Killington and Beaver Creek it looks like:

I'm not sure why it's hard to find more complete listings... but every season it is.
Thanks!
Yes, it is always a PITA. I went and looked at last year‘s thread and there was a link that was activated shortly before the race that allowed us to see it. I guess we will just have to wait and see if something similar appears this year.
I paid for Peacock last year and thought it was well worth it even though it was kind of a hassle to navigate.

TS
Moose32

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Anyone know if Peacock is broadcasting races this year? If so what tier? How about Olympic Channel? Any other US viewing information, I haven’t heard or seen anything.
Came here for this (annual) TV coverage question. I don't see Solden on any Xfinity options (ironic, given they have a patch on the USST uniforms). Not on Olympic Channel, Not on Peacock Premium.
Any additional insights or are we trying to find it on YouTube? Sigh.

4ster

Instructor
Came here for this (annual) TV coverage question. I don't see Solden on any Xfinity options (ironic, given they have a patch on the USST uniforms). Not on Olympic Channel, Not on Peacock Premium.

US Ski Team page on Facebook says they (NBC) will have an announcement shortly. Nothing like going down to the wire.!
Keely Cashman with tonight’s geometry lesson.

Stay tuned here in the next few days for more info about how to follow the action at the FIS Alpine World Cup Tour opener this weekend at Sölden / Soelden / Solden. ⚡️⚡️
: Ryan Mooney
87EC49D7-7E33-426D-9C14-75395595BBB5.jpeg

0B887E17-335B-444C-9CF3-8BA55A4359C0.jpeg

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Was Soelden even shown on US TV last year? For some reason, I was thinking it wasn't....

4ster

Instructor
Was Soelden even shown on US TV last year? For some reason, I was thinking it wasn't....
I think you are right. There was an Austrian streaming link that went live at the last minute but it was only live. I remember waking up at 2 AM like a fool and watched it.
The next morning I found it on YouTube & posted it here but it was deleted pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online