• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MEN'S World Cup 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Pinturault
Kranjec
Pertl

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
glad to see McGrath in 3rd
I actually got one on the money :ogbiggrin:!
Zubcic
Pinturault
McGrath
I have not had a chance to watch the whole race but it looks like maybe Red course got faster today.
Although its fun to see some new blood battle it out, maybe we can be done with Parallel & add another GS or SL in the future.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
From what I saw yesterday, both courses were quite equal. Today they certainly weren't and with max 0.5sec rule, this actually made difference, as red course was clearly more the 0.5sec faster. This made much easier job for racer who was skiing red as second. If there would be no 0.5sec rule, results would be a bit different in my opinion.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Interesting results: no US Ski Team racers at all....

I have not had a chance to watch the whole race but it looks like maybe Red course got faster today.
Although its fun to see some new blood battle it out, maybe we can be done with Parallel & add another GS or SL in the future.

Can pretty much guarantee that Jesse Hunt, USST Alpine Director and HC Forest Carey have zero support for Parallel. The event….is what it is. And I DO understand that it’s still fairly new and they are getting it right.

But not even starting a single USST guy?

However, it’s evidently a big, getting bigger, bordering on huge, financial winner with increasing followership. It’s NOT going away.

So, you have the folks IN the sport, in the trenches, thinking the actual “discipline” sucks. The better athletes, the coaches. But it’s looking to be a huge winner for FIS.

I am surprised that these are not almost all scheduled as either city events or in ski areas that are bigger and more easily accessable. Lech is not one of those.

Glad to see Atle grab a podium. Will be more exited to see some more for him…in the traditional disciplines.

Hearing that we may see a couple of more WC starts in the USA as early as next season {an Eliasch push, one of the biggest markets in the world}. Hope they are not parallel!

Just grumbling!!!

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Doesn’t make any sense [Para] at all 2000 m up on a mountain … But the current qualification format with lots of participants makes it a challenge to handle for small hills. That was the issue for Stockholm City Race.

James

Out There
Instructor
Let’s just get it over with and make it interesting by skiing in some Rube Goldberg course. Like Swiss freestyle skier Andri Ragettli training.v Somehow do it on snow. NBC probably wants some sort of Ninja Warrior on skis event.

Last edited:

Gnorris2

Booting up
Skier
Not a fan either ... the basic gate to gate skiing seemed less exciting. More offset gates and varying course sets may help, although they have to fit two matched courses in the space of one and get a lot a skiers through the start gate for this to work and meet the TV time limits. Starts can be exciting, but for the wrong reasons as we saw the last weekend.

But, to secure network coverage (NBC/Peacock) for a broadcast friendly format, may be the price to pay. Maybe it's a "gateway drug" that leads to more classic SL/GS/SG/DH interest in the general viewing audience. One can only hope ... if not, itinerant streaming here we come. Of course with Freestyle/Moguls/Snowboards there's a lot to compete for attention with now.

I now wonder how good the old ABC Wide World of Sports ("The agony of defeat"), showing mostly DH as I recall, with Bob Beattie really was. I watched it regularly long before I put on my first set of skis. Then came Franz Klammer and the Mahres and a lot in US TV coverage changed.

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Good to see Tommy Ford back on snow!

In less happy news: Adrien Theaux suffered a season-ending crash today during super-G training at Copper Mountain: broken left elbow, right tibia, right ankle. Had surgery in Vail this afternoon but his season is done, possibly his career given he's 37 years old.

TS
Moose32

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Still planning to go. Looks like they lost my sternly-worded letter urging them to keep the GS on Sunday.

I can't see the GS coming back unless another men's tech race is added to the early-season North American swing. I just can't.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
I can't see the GS coming back unless another men's tech race is added to the early-season North American swing. I just can't.
Sadly, I think you're right. I think that's something that should be looked at, but ... unless the US gets another weekend event, I don't see it happening. That said ... a men's early-season tech weekend is clearly missing in the calendar when you compare it to the women's calendar with Levi and Killington. I wonder if Keystone (or somewhere else) could hold reliably hold a night SL this early in the season ...

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive

I think you’re right Rudi, and I agree @S.H., BUT…..don’t know if any of this has made it your way…evidently Mr. Eliasch has made it clear to both his people, the brass at USST, and some key movers and shakers on this side of the pond that FIS NEEDS to schedule more events{plural} in North America. Primarily in the U.S.

Market size, etc.

Evidently part and parcel of that is that our higher elevation tends to provide a very good surface, even in off years like this. Very clear to all at Copper. And equally good at SOME venues in the end of the season. Conditions were great when WCF’s were last in Aspen.

What made it’s way to me was sort of like the game “telephone.” Probably changed along the way. So we might see a tech series in say, BC and Aspen. Or Vail. A series at Mammoth, and perhaps Squaw. Maybe a men’s tech series in the East….that was mentioned. It would be a big undertaking, but Killington has been wildly popular.

My wise ass comment was that with the glacial speed of FIS, we might see another race here by 2030. Ahh, no. Eliasch is talking two years. Which does sound crazy. Maybe one new venue even next season. While the best female {or one of the best is still in USA colors}.

i thought this sounded crazy, until I checked with a friend who had actually spoken with him on a group Zoom.

it sounds like he also is questioning the reasoning, in 2021, for at least some of the old traditional venues, which are a pain in the ass for everybody. Also sounds like “we’ve always done it this way, and there” does not necessarily hold water with him.

Mostly 4th or 5th hand info, but I’m at least a tiny bit encouraged. Under the old leadership, I would say never going to happen.

Now we know how political FIS is, how entrenched so many Federations and committees are….BUT as mg friend said, Eliasch did NOT take this on to screw around for practice.

Hopeful, still skeptical.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder if Keystone (or somewhere else) could hold reliably hold a night SL this early in the season ...
Seems like if Killington can, then any place in Summit county (+Loveland) could if they really wanted to (including potentially infrasructure/snow-making upgades). Keystone, Breck, Copper, A-Basin, or Loveland. Copper and Loveland already do race-training early season.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sadly, I think you're right. I think that's something that should be looked at, but ... unless the US gets another weekend event, I don't see it happening. That said ... a men's early-season tech weekend is clearly missing in the calendar when you compare it to the women's calendar with Levi and Killington. I wonder if Keystone (or somewhere else) could hold reliably hold a night SL this early in the season ...
Copper would be perfect for a early season North American tech event. When the speed teams wrap up you have injected snow, a base area prefect for racers and spectators, parking, shuttles, and in late November/ early December a mostly vacant village.
Of course if there's one thing the Euro teams and federations hate is anything that messes with The Schedule, so I won't hold my breath. But isn't it odd that many of the teams want to utilize Copper for training, but you never hear of the FIS proposing any races at that venue? I'm not talking about moving BOP, just adding a tech event.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems like if Killington can, then any place in Summit county (+Loveland) could if they really wanted to (including potentially infrasructure/snow-making upgades). Keystone, Breck, Copper, A-Basin, or Loveland. Copper and Loveland already do race-training early season.
Somehow the idea of having a World Cup event at Loveland or A-Basin feels like holding a state dinner at Alice's Restaurant. That's assuming they even have the homologated terrain or what-have-you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online