• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MEN'S World Cup 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Wengen. Always fun to watch. Even more fun to be there. And better in great weather.

BUT…….Not. A. SG. Venue.

Still fun. Two guys own this event right now. I’m pulling for Kilde. Just two more SG’s. Kilde leading by 61 points.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
For some reason I thought Scladming was next because of the women.
Wengen. Yeah what’s up with this SG thing there?
Somewhere Bode talks about how basically after the Wengen downhill everyone pukes, and then they have to go on the bike for 4 hrs to get rid of the lactic acid. It’s not in this clip, but he does talk about getting close to passing out near the last two turns.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ok that's something new, but not too much of a surprise if you consider it's about Austrian. There suppose to be rule until now, if you don't start any DH training, you are not allowed to start the race. Well of a sudden this rule doesn't exist anymore and Kriechmayr is allowed to start both DH races in Wengen without a single training. Positive PCR test, with still positive test yesterday morning, but negative on afternoon, which made it possible to arrive to Wengen yesterday evening, is good enough reason that long standing rules are not valid anymore.
I mean on one side it's ok, but considering number of racers that were not allowed to start until now due this exact rule, it's not really fair either.

TS
Moose32

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
As is stated in the above video....when the weather is nice, there is no place more beautiful than Wengen.
Feel super luck to have travelled there a bunch - not for the race however.

1642113488103.jpeg 1642113636739.jpeg
(photo on left is Lauberhorn Start House, right is Grindelwald where I always stayed)

Last edited:

Muleski

Inactive
I grew up as a kid in Switzerland. We lived in Lausanne…right ON the lake. My parents had an apartment in Zermatt. But…when they wanted to get away to hike, ski, relax and wind down we headed to Grindelwald. My parents both loved it. Fond memories of those days, and trips since. And being there for the races is special. Just the atmosphere. Not crazy, nuts like the next two in Kitz and Schlamding. Of course back when I could drink beers 24x7, they were awesome!!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Had I thought about what a Wengen SG might be like I don’t think I would have picked Odermatt or Kilde but there they are 1 & 2!
E817E6F0-32A9-451F-AD8A-3E87CB38CD1F.jpeg

Tomorrows the leg burner…
749CF8E5-181A-413B-BD33-5117743405B5.jpeg

Kilde
Mayer
Paris

Muleski

Inactive
I think tomorrow is wide open. 2:30 is a long run. I think 10 or more guys could podium.

Strictly emotional picks are:

The Fuzz
Kilde
Odermatt

In any order. But….an Austrian sweep would not shock me!

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ok that's something new, but not too much of a surprise if you consider it's about Austrian. There suppose to be rule until now, if you don't start any DH training, you are not allowed to start the race. Well of a sudden this rule doesn't exist anymore and Kriechmayr is allowed to start both DH races in Wengen without a single training. Positive PCR test, with still positive test yesterday morning, but negative on afternoon, which made it possible to arrive to Wengen yesterday evening, is good enough reason that long standing rules are not valid anymore.
I mean on one side it's ok, but considering number of racers that were not allowed to start until now due this exact rule, it's not really fair either.

Yeah, how the hell did that work out? I heard something about a "partial" training run? But sceptic.

Skärmavbild 2022-01-14 kl. 09.18.51.png

Last edited:
TS
Moose32

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Came here to post how nice it was to see the Lauberhorn from the top, and of course it is a lowered start. Total bluebird day, probably ensuring limited visibility and a Rochester-gray sky tomorrow.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They're saving the full run for tomorrow. This is the farse from this morning. A training run requires "the gate to be broken" and that is what happened.

Skärmavbild 2022-01-14 kl. 13.20.09.png
Skärmavbild 2022-01-14 kl. 13.23.35.png
Skärmavbild 2022-01-14 kl. 13.22.41.png
1642163242862.png

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I saw , during the training runs, the italian racer Innerhofer "open" a wedge instead of performing an "hockey slide" or an "S" (L-R or R-L) turn to lose a bit of speed, like all others, right at the end of the Alpweg trail, entering the Kernen-S...was surprised by that, somehow. Has any other done that?
And was it, a test to prepare the best approach in the actual race, strategy (say, pokerwise not to sho one's own "cards"), or else? Haven't seen today's Innerhofer race, so, I am left wondering...
BTW just watching a replay of Paris run and he too threw (even if not to the same extent) the wedge in the same point...
Was it a rewarding move? (discuss, if you will, after the race will have finished airing for you all please, don't want to spoil the race)

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A few did a wedge, most a classic speed check. Inmo not critical for the final outcome, more depending to find the right line and balance in the turn to not get pushed too far out after this passage.

Skärmavbild 2022-01-14 kl. 14.54.46.png

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
They're saving the full run for tomorrow. This is the farse from this morning. A training run requires "the gate to be broken" and that is what happened.
It was too nice weather to work, so I went for some awesome xc skiing, which means I missed Wengen :) So what was this about? Kriechmayr got "special training session" today morning or what?

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It was too nice weather to work, so I went for some awesome xc skiing, which means I missed Wengen :) So what was this about? Kriechmayr got "special training session" today morning or what?

Apparently. What you see is what happened, he just went out the gate and immediately stopped 10 meters further down. A lot of people and athletes upset...

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yeah no shit they are. I wonder how many people got chance like this until now... oh there's nothing much to wonder... not a single one. If you didn't have training run for whatever reason, you didn't start. It was as simple as that, but obviously from now on, we will have whole bunch of special training sessions, as from now on, you can't really say "sorry you can't start as you didn't have training run". If you make such thing once, there's no way back and say we won't do that for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor