• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MEN'S World Cup 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
57074084-4000-47EC-9CFA-A7F1B5180DC1.jpeg

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For some reason I thought Scladming was next because of the women.
Wengen. Yeah what’s up with this SG thing there?
Somewhere Bode talks about how basically after the Wengen downhill everyone pukes, and then they have to go on the bike for 4 hrs to get rid of the lactic acid. It’s not in this clip, but he does talk about getting close to passing out near the last two turns.

Women should’ve been in Flachau.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
This bullshit with FIS, OSV, and the special treatment for Kriechmayr is, I hear very ugly. It will no doubt blow over, but it shows that FIS/WC is a very “old boys club” and that the oldest alpine nations, particularly Austria, are king. I have heard coaches saying that “money had to change hands on this one.” Half joking, half serious.

There are very good, sound reasons for requiring training runs. Safety. Regardless of your experience or world ranking. It sets a terrible precedent. Racers have died, or become vegetative crashing in the sport.

i don’t give a shit WHO it is, that he’s the defending FIS champ, or Austrian.

BAD call. Wrong decision.

Last edited:

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I saw , during the training runs, the italian racer Innerhofer "open" a wedge instead of performing an "hockey slide" or an "S" (L-R or R-L) turn to lose a bit of speed, like all others, right at the end of the Alpweg trail, entering the Kernen-S...was surprised by that, somehow. Has any other done that?
And was it, a test to prepare the best approach in the actual race, strategy (say, pokerwise not to sho one's own "cards"), or else? Haven't seen today's Innerhofer race, so, I am left wondering...
BTW just watching a replay of Paris run and he too threw (even if not to the same extent) the wedge in the same point...
Was it a rewarding move? (discuss, if you will, after the race will have finished airing for you all please, don't want to spoil the race)

A few did a wedge, most a classic speed check. Inmo not critical for the final outcome, more depending to find the right line and balance in the turn to not get pushed too far out after this passage.

View attachment 155133

Agreed, still , when I saw it, I was most impressed, here it is :
Wedge speedcheck Innerhofer

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This bullshit with FIS, OSV, and the special treatment for Kriechmayr is, I hear very ugly. It will no doubt blow over, but it shows that FIS/WC is a very “old boys club” and that the oldest alpine nations, particularly Austria, are king. I have heard coaches saying that “money had to change hands on this one.” Half joking, half serious.

There are very good, sound reasons for requiring training runs. Safety. Regardless of your experience or world ranking. It sets a terrible precedent. Racers have died, or become vegetative crashing in the sport.

i don’t give a shit WHO it is, that he’s the defending FIS champ, or Austrian.

BAD call. Wrong decision.

It’s unreal that something like that can happen in this day and age. I really hope that Eliasch will clean/clear this up, otherwise he’s just another part of the problem, and not of a solution.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Amazing how FIS can just be blatantly corrupt.
This is from 12 years ago. Should be in the media thread. Can’t say I liked her as a commentator, but she makes good points.
You have to scroll a bit for Cooper’s thoughts.-

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
One other factor in the training run “issue.”
TV viewership has taken quite a nosedive in Austria since Hircher’s retirement. Big drop. Big financial consequences. Money ALWAYS talks in this sport. If OSV has been of the opinion that Krich being on the screen at Wengen was mission critical, they would pull out all stops to “influence” and assure it. Money. Always. Old boys.

I imagine that Eilasch did not know a thing about this, until it was done. Probably not a good move by those involved. Yep, we’ll see.

Really not good.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I wrote this once already, and I will again. You guys have way too high expectation of Eliasch. Of course he didn't know about this, neither he would be interested in this. He's president of FIS, not some race director who would be running WC race, and his pretty much only job is to sit next to IOC president during Olympics opening, and declaring FIS WCH open (plus few other formal things).... oh and getting few million CHF a year salary for that. He has absolutely nothing to do with running WC races, nor with deciding about protocols on FIS races (or breach of them). This is job of exactly those people, who did run Zagreb SL race till bib #19, and those exact people, who let Kriechmayr have his "private training". It's not just that Eliasch of course didn't know about these arrangements, he most likely won't know it nor care about it, unless he will accidentally read some newspaper where some commentator will be bitching about breaching all the rules. What he will do about it? Turn the page in newspaper and forget all about this next second ;)

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I saw , during the training runs, the italian racer Innerhofer "open" a wedge instead of performing an "hockey slide" or an "S" (L-R or R-L) turn to lose a bit of speed, like all others, right at the end of the Alpweg trail, entering the Kernen-S...was surprised by that, somehow. Has any other done that?
And was it, a test to prepare the best approach in the actual race, strategy (say, pokerwise not to sho one's own "cards"), or else? Haven't seen today's Innerhofer race, so, I am left wondering...
BTW just watching a replay of Paris run and he too threw (even if not to the same extent) the wedge in the same point...
Was it a rewarding move? (discuss, if you will, after the race will have finished airing for you all please, don't want to spoil the race)

The speed checks seem to vary year to year. In 2020 Beat Feuz threw in a couple of quick extra turns into Kernen in the race which he won.

Thomas Dresser did the same into 3rd place. Dom Paris did a small wedgy, much smaller than Innerhofer, into 2nd.

Other years any speed check is much more subtle.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I wrote this once already, and I will again. You guys have way too high expectation of Eliasch. Of course he didn't know about this, neither he would be interested in this. He's president of FIS, not some race director who would be running WC race, and his pretty much only job is to sit next to IOC president during Olympics opening, and declaring FIS WCH open (plus few other formal things).... oh and getting few million CHF a year salary for that. He has absolutely nothing to do with running WC races, nor with deciding about protocols on FIS races (or breach of them). This is job of exactly those people, who did run Zagreb SL race till bib #19, and those exact people, who let Kriechmayr have his "private training". It's not just that Eliasch of course didn't know about these arrangements, he most likely won't know it nor care about it, unless he will accidentally read some newspaper where some commentator will be bitching about breaching all the rules. What he will do about it? Turn the page in newspaper and forget all about this next second ;)

Does FIS need to borrow Australia's Immigration Minister? Bit of a stickler for rules, apparently... ogsmile

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@geepers if you ask me, that guy is even worse then FIS race directors and TDs ;) If we are into this tennis thing now, I'm sure most of you won't agree with me, but based on court decision, which in my mind is the only real and unbiased one, Djokovic did things right. Everything else is politics and certainly has nothing to do with the rules and regulations. This guy is playing his political game, trying to stay in charge or at least not losing too many votes, so he used his right to cancel someone's visa without any reason, and so he did it. I'm not saying Djokovic did right thing (regardless vaccination), but thing is, he applied for visa, he got it, and when politicians in charge saw they will have "a bit" of a problem with their own people, who they are keeping locked like in prison for 2 years now, they tried to save their asses. But I guess it should be about skiing not tennis, vaccination and deportation :D

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Primoz - comment was for comic relief.

In terms of the decision the situation is a bit more complex than you make out. Thought the Minister would call it the other way as the portion of the population who sees ND as a freedom hero are the votes they are trying to bring back to their side.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
But I guess it should be about skiing not tennis, vaccination and deportation :D

In terms of the decision the situation is a bit more complex than you make out.

Yes it is complicated and yes we should be talking about skiing! Please stay on topic. :)

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I didn’t realize that today’s race would be from a lower start or I may have picked Odermatt for the podium. One of my reasons for picking Kilde for the win today was his leg strength on the long course but he won anyway.

FE7D408D-5DD5-4F88-91E8-7D48AD405DCD.jpeg

KILDE
FEUZ
ODERMATT (can he show us some gliding skills & pace himself at the same time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online