• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MEN'S World Cup 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lifer

Putting on skis
Skier
This bullshit with FIS, OSV, and the special treatment for Kriechmayr is, I hear very ugly. It will no doubt blow over, but it shows that FIS/WC is a very “old boys club” and that the oldest alpine nations, particularly Austria, are king. I have heard coaches saying that “money had to change hands on this one.” Half joking, half serious.

There are very good, sound reasons for requiring training runs. Safety. Regardless of your experience or world ranking. It sets a terrible precedent. Racers have died, or become vegetative crashing in the sport.

i don’t give a shit WHO it is, that he’s the defending FIS champ, or Austrian.

BAD call. Wrong decision.
In the not so lofty sphere of non-TV driven alpine FIS racing: A race 'codex' is needed to send an athlete out of the gate for a training run or a race run. A codex signifies it is FIS sanctioned, overseen by a FIS TD and an appointed Jury. In the case of DH, each race run and each training run has their own codex number assigned.

The codex can be found on all event docs.

A skier who has been forerunning, is not eligible to compete, as they did not appear on the official 'startlist' for any codexed training run. As well, a skier who did not go out of the start of a codexed training run, like K, is not eligible either.

The organizer "could" allow either case to race, provided the Jury, with the support of the ROC, applies for, and is granted a codex number by the FIS, for an additional training run. Send 'em out of the gate and voila! Eligible to race.

The caveat is the additional training run must be available to all competitors.

Again, not money driven, just rules and protocols to satisfy the rules.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You know it’s a Behemouth when the ”sprint” version lasts 1:42. Today it was from the top and an additional 1.3K to ski for the athletes and the winning time of 2:46.
Perfect conditions. But the controversy over Kierchmeyers special treatment was very present and the crowds (big crowds) were booing during his run.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
A LONG one today. Wow. Not much left in the legs at the finish.

I was saying to my wife last night: “Watch, Kriechmayr is going to win tomorrow…and the drama and such will just increase.” Not that she cares! HaHa.

Not sure I’d boo him. He’s just doing his job with as much rope as OSV could get from FIS. They gave him the “training run,” he started, and he was fastest. Done.

We’ll talk about the rest later.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A LONG one today. Wow. Not much left in the legs at the finish.
The racers definitely were feeling it at the end... noticed a couple rubbing their quads at the end, like I do after about 10 runs. :P

My picks of "Fuez, Kreichmayer, Paris" were pretty close... too bad they were my Thursday picks...

I really wish I could hear what Feuz and Paris were chatting about after the race at one point... they appeared to be commiserating about how bumpy it was, from the body/hand language....

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
This bullshit with FIS, OSV, and the special treatment for Kriechmayr is, I hear very ugly. It will no doubt blow over, but it shows that FIS/WC is a very “old boys club” and that the oldest alpine nations, particularly Austria, are king. I have heard coaches saying that “money had to change hands on this one.” Half joking, half serious.

There are very good, sound reasons for requiring training runs. Safety. Regardless of your experience or world ranking. It sets a terrible precedent. Racers have died, or become vegetative crashing in the sport.

i don’t give a shit WHO it is, that he’s the defending FIS champ, or Austrian.

BAD call. Wrong decision.
Disagree, respectfully. These are "interesting" times and I'm perfectly OK with some bending of the rules to allow an athlete to participate so long as you're respecting covid protocol. It's not like he lied on a visa form or faked a positive test. ;)

Racers die or crash even if they've taken training runs. It's downhill skiing, it's inherently dangerous.

Plus, it's not like they don't use the same run every year at Wengen, and Kriechmayr has won it before. I would hope that any skier would get the same treatment, regardless of where they come from...

He looked pretty sharp in winning today, seemed like he took of all his time coming out of the Alpweg. He barely hit the brakes, whereas I saw some pretty panicked snowplowing and check turns from some others. I was cheering for Beat, as usual. Just love that guy.

US speed team was anchoring the bottom rungs, unfortunately.

Muleski

Inactive
Disagree, respectfully. These are "interesting" times and I'm perfectly OK with some bending of the rules to allow an athlete to participate so long as you're respecting covid protocol. It's not like he lied on a visa form or faked a positive test. ;)

Racers die or crash even if they've taken training runs. It's downhill skiing, it's inherently dangerous.

Plus, it's not like they don't use the same run every year at Wengen, and Kriechmayr has won it before. I would hope that any skier would get the same treatment, regardless of where they come from...

He looked pretty sharp in winning today, seemed like he took of all his time coming out of the Alpweg. He barely hit the brakes, whereas I saw some pretty panicked snowplowing and check turns from some others. I was cheering for Beat, as usual. Just love that guy.

US speed team was anchoring the bottom rungs, unfortunately.

Good post. I respect your opinion.
However…..I think it sets a very problematic precedent. In terms of Vince, he is a star, obviously knows the hill. Knows the actual surface, and the exact set? Maybe not, but it does not change much. One can make all sorts of cases to support it. All of the athletes, or the huge majority do.

I think it’s problematic as you move to lower WR skiers, to hills where things can vary quite a bit, etc.

This rule had always been deeply dug in the sand. Now…no longer. There is already talk that if needed, with birth of Feuz’s child impending, they may do the same if needed so that he can race Kitz. With the obvious support of all. I can see that, and it’s hard and harsh not support it.

Question is, I think, where do you draw the line? Perhaps you need to have raced the hill before? I don’t know…..

Good point. These are strange times. Getting COVID is not something than any of the field likely wants. We have seen that at least in some cases it derails their program, even in the best cases with “just a quarantine.”

Will be great if/when the virus is not a factor. In the meantime the numbers of coaches, techs and athletes with and without face masks kind of surprises me…..

Was just thinking….maybe they ahould amend the rule, due to COVID, then strongly enforce again if possible. Later years?

And yeah, USST speed was very “ugly” today. I think it’s time for Nyman to follow Janka’s lead.

interesting to watch the rebuild of CAST. Yielding very apparent results. They are young, for the most part.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
“an onion smoothie“ Chuckled a bit. Don’t have enough history, base, or familiarity to have an opinion other than I’m old and had rules growing up as a free range kid. Hate to see rules eroded in the moment so to speak. Enjoy the debate though

Muleski

Inactive
I mean to single out one of the young CAST guys in my post ^^^^.

Jack Crawford, bib 41, finished 14th. Less than two seconds out. Birth year 1997.

That's impressive.....REALLY impressive.

TS
Moose32

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
I think it’s time for Nyman to follow Janka’s lead.
Can’t believe you’ll get much argument here on Nyman. He should have “retired” or “been retired” after he was injured in 2017.
The question, at least for me, is what structurally in the USST allows him to hang around until he is ~40 rather than putting resources toward developing young talent.
Hoping Travis doesn’t follow the same path.

Last edited:

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Good post. I respect your opinion.
However…..I think it sets a very problematic precedent. In terms of Vince, he is a star, obviously knows the hill. Knows the actual surface, and the exact set? Maybe not, but it does not change much. One can make all sorts of cases to support it. All of the athletes, or the huge majority do.

I think it’s problematic as you move to lower WR skiers, to hills where things can vary quite a bit, etc.

This rule had always been deeply dug in the sand. Now…no longer. There is already talk that if needed, with birth of Feuz’s child impending, they may do the same if needed so that he can race Kitz. With the obvious support of all. I can see that, and it’s hard and harsh not support it.

Question is, I think, where do you draw the line? Perhaps you need to have raced the hill before? I don’t know…..

Good point. These are strange times. Getting COVID is not something than any of the field likely wants. We have seen that at least in some cases it derails their program, even in the best cases with “just a quarantine.”

Will be great if/when the virus is not a factor. In the meantime the numbers of coaches, techs and athletes with and without face masks kind of surprises me…..

Was just thinking….maybe they ahould amend the rule, due to COVID, then strongly enforce again if possible. Later years?

And yeah, USST speed was very “ugly” today. I think it’s time for Nyman to follow Janka’s lead.

interesting to watch the rebuild of CAST. Yielding very apparent results. They are young, for the most part.

Agree 100%. It’s a principle that they [jury] tampered with. This sort of 20th century attitude stands in the way of moving the sport into the future, it just got to go. Sends the totally wrong signals down the ranks and if you don’t get that, you’ve got to go. Jury crossed a line that creates a lot of uncertainty and confusion. Kriech took what he got handed and used it so a little understandable — still … his ”sportmanship” got a little tainted because he kind of ”cheated” his way into the start list and was ok with it. His performance was good though, no doubt.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And for tomorrows SL I have a good feeling about Krille. He’s fast now. Won an invitational race in Crans Montana this week with quite a few other WCup participants.

TS
Moose32

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
SL Podium Prediction:
Noel (great speed and has won twice in Wengen)
HK (solid wins (2) and results on hill, desperate to get it going in Wengen-Kitz-Schladming)
Tall Guy (seemed balanced in Zagreb slalom run, home snow/crowd)

wnyskier

Out on the slopes
Skier
SL picks:

Foss-Solevaag - skis funny but is fast and (usually) consistent
Feller - Mr. 2nd, gotta love the guy
Jakobsen - Coming on strong

Wild card: Ryding, I like watching him and Pinterault for their technical chops.

James

Out There
Instructor
776AC93A-AD6D-4E41-A1A9-C01DCD7D4642.jpeg

Noel
Feller
Zenhaeusern

Schwarz
Ryding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor