• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MEN'S World Cup 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
How about that Olsen Steen? Beat Hk by .01! :geek:
Switz first, 2nd

View attachment 190372
Best GS result on world cup from Schwarz. I like how they've let him broaden this year into skiing all disciplines, even if it might have hurt his SL (though that's never been the same since injury).

Awesome day for Steen Olsen.

First GS win for Meillard (he did win a PGS in 2020 in Chamonix)

Can't wait to watch (I just followed on live timing)

Last edited:

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
Although already mentioned here, but that hill for both SL and GS was pond ice. Over injected! Zampa said he had “no grip” in second run. But the podium guys could handle it
These pics don’t really show what it was like

Attachments

• 3ABC984C-E7BB-4810-A396-DF1F9A0DF0EE.jpeg
    3ABC984C-E7BB-4810-A396-DF1F9A0DF0EE.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 36
  • AB04B37A-2CFB-495D-BD11-0AA78DCA7A80.jpeg
    AB04B37A-2CFB-495D-BD11-0AA78DCA7A80.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 37

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Things look slightly different under lights. Most of guys I have been talking with didn't even mention it, so basically normal ice. And also when you watch them ski, noone was really sliding around like it happened before already when it was super icy.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah I don’t get this ice thing. Maybe the sound on the broadcast was different? I only watched on youtube replay. GS looked like a lot of shadows to deal with more than abnormal ice.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah I don’t get this ice thing. Maybe the sound on the broadcast was different? I only watched on youtube replay. GS looked like a lot of shadows to deal with more than abnormal ice.

I watched it live on TV and it was iiiicyyyyyyyyy.

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
For Zampa to say he had no drip at all in second run, suggests to me it was more icy than normal . Or maybe he forgot to tune his skis

Attachments

• 441C4E66-D002-421F-BD76-C4DE10F14757.png
    441C4E66-D002-421F-BD76-C4DE10F14757.png
    497 KB · Views: 24

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
Things look slightly different under lights. Most of guys I have been talking with didn't even mention it, so basically normal ice. And also when you watch them ski, noone was really sliding around like it happened before already when it was super icy.
yeah. maybe it was was the lights just bringing out the shine more .

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Or maybe he forgot to tune his skis
I definitely think it was a set-up/tuning issue for many. It was really apparent who was slicing & dicing & who was not. I think it also could have been a technique/tactics thing in how subtly (when, how & where) they were pressuring the ski. It was obvious to me that Meillard & Caviezel just carved cleaner turns top to bottom in both runs. Some pretty offset turns too compared to other GS's this season! A true technical test :ogcool:
everyone else made it look icy ha ha ogwink

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@James I'm pretty sure he has second pair ready for second run. Guys who never see 2nd run in their life, have, just in case if miracles do happen afterall, 4 pairs ready for every single race (one or two warmup pairs, depending on racer, inspection pair, 1st run pair and 2nd run pair), so I'm pretty sure he had it too. If he didn't then well, yeah maybe there was no grip, but then again there's issue elsewhere not with course preparation.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Although already mentioned here, but that hill for both SL and GS was pond ice. Over injected! Zampa said he had “no grip” in second run. But the podium guys could handle it
These pics don’t really show what it was like

It's definitely ice for us mere mortals.

For world cup racers, a few said in interviews that actually they could find some grip in it. I forget who (the winners, presumably).

Night lights do make ice look worse, but it's still ice.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
It's definitely ice for us mere mortals.
That's for sure. Most of people have issue on "icy slopes" in normal resorts. That "ice" is so soft and so non-existing, that WC race would be cancelled before it would even start on race course like that. So yes, most of people would have serious issues coming down that healthy :) But there's few things to consider. One is, we are talking about top 60 skiers on World, not about tourists with 10 skiing days behind them in their life, and averaging 3 days on skis per year. And second, not really in this case, but I have ski down courses, where slipping down is not really an option as they were so icy you couldn't stop regardless how well prepared edges you had and regardless how good you were skiing. So this second is about speed and technique, and with that related force. Slipping down at 10km/h is one thing, and you can press edges only to certain amount at that speed. Going down 80km/h with proper angulation and with skis set in right direction, you can actually cut into pretty much anything and have grip even if it's really pure ice.

slidingmike

Going downhill fast...
Skier
@Primoz I get what you're saying and would tend to agree, but these racers still all have to be able to do course inspection, side slipping down the thing first.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@Primoz I get what you're saying and would tend to agree, but these racers still all have to be able to do course inspection, side slipping down the thing first.

Their "inspection skis" are just as sharp as their race skis, and their edging skills are excellent.

Same with the coaches, though their tunes aren't always as good (mention "coaches' tune" in racing circles and the guffaws are most audible).

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Rudi Riet coaches and "prepared skis" are two things that don't fit together :ogbiggrin: At least on WC level. We all had plenty of good laugh, when people were "sliding" down grabbing b-net on side of the track or slipping down at speed of light, pretending they were planning to slip down this way, but they wide open eyes and mouth and being scared to death expression on their face, gave them away :ogbiggrin: I'm not saying anything, as I had plenty of similar situations too, and most of time, it's not too much of fun, especially know if it will go wrong, your friends who saw you, will have plenty of material to joke about for next few years.
@slidingmike sometimes inspections are done slipping down, sometimes they make turn or two, stop, another turn two or tree and stop. And normally there's still some soft snow left on top of ice during inspection. After inspection is over and slippers do their job (sometime between inspection and media and coaches need to be on position time), things get more interesting :)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
For sure all WC courses are more icy than most of us can imagine due to injection. I did “ski” Birds of Prey course from the GS start and the entire Hahnenkamm Streif both on the day after the race and it was amazing how slick it was. ( you can no longer ski the whole Streif right after the race because of public carnage - I did it 2000 and 2001) .
Yes, the lights will make it look icier due to the shine. But to me, it still look slicker than a lot of other tracks. No chance Zampa used the same skis in the second run unless they were tuned after the first as they would be dull by the finish. What side bevel do they use ? 5 degree ? That will dull quickly on pond ice. It is amazing how these guys can ski on it.
Watching Zampa’s 2nd run after his comment that he had no grip at all, he had a couple of bobbles where he lost the outside ski and that might be all he was talking about. But that is enough in ski racing.
And more guys than normal looked to me to lose the outside ski, but of course it could an error causing that instead of the surface. Feller and McGrath both lost the outside ski and skied out in 2nd run. River also looked to be losing grip a couple of times.
And Leitinger was all over the place in some turns in this video.

Attachments

• IMG_1414.MOV
    26.5 MB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online