• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MEN'S World Cup 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Here we go, the finals are upon us…
F1338D75-4BCF-46A4-9623-C89955C87352.jpeg

Heard it’s been warm? I wonder if an early bib will have the best chance? Still have to go with the tried & true…
Kilde
Odermatt
Ganong for his last hurrah!

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Dunno who will win,
but I have to root for
Kilde (partly because of Mikaela, but just such a great guy, seems like) and
Travis Ganong (hoping for him to go out in style; he's been the tops of the U.S. men's team for so long, after Ted L. retired;
and feel almost like he's family).

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Travis Ganong (hoping for him to go out in style; he's been the tops of the U.S. men's team for so long, after Ted L. retired;
and feel almost like he's family).

He went out in very good style, a no-nonsense top athlete for a long career, last month a podium in Kitzbühel, then a nice final run in Soldeu with some good splits - sadly not reported in the results, but from the TV feed, off Kriechmeyer (who won),

+0.27
+0.23
+0.01
+1.12
+0.19

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
He went out in very good style, a no-nonsense top athlete for a long career, last month a podium in Kitzbühel, then a nice final run in Soldeu with some good splits - sadly not reported in the results, but from the TV feed, off Kriechmeyer (who won),

+0.27
+0.23
+0.01
+1.12
+0.19

Page 8 for interval performance.
Based on the interval report, looks like it was Sander's to lose.

Unfortunately for Travis, best interval was 11th fastest. However, fastest speed at the last trap.

James

Out There
Instructor
I was going to pick a German because it was so warm. But went with the usual suspects.

RiesenSL

Getting on the lift
Skier
Was a tame DH, they lowered the start to 710m vertical (not much more than Kvitfjell SG), and will lower it another 50m for tomorrow's SG. I think last year's final DH in France was 950m. Thankfully, DH small globe not in contention.

Clarey's retirement helmet, that all-time speed record (from Wengen) has held for a decade!

Clarey helmet.jpg

Last edited:

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Page 8 for interval performance.
Based on the interval report, looks like it was Sander's to lose.

Unfortunately for Travis, best interval was 11th fastest. However, fastest speed at the last trap.
In the pdf, on the partials from I3-to I4 and I4 to finish Kriechmayer was 2 and 1, Sander was 14 & 16 and Baumann was 10 & 18. So for sure it was Sander’s to lose but I think Kriechmayer was also really good on the bottom.

James

Out There
Instructor
Hey! 3 out of 3 ain't bad either. :) Good enough, @James?
Now you have to write a song.

Here’s what Clive Davis of CBS wrote to Jim Steinman when the were shopping what would become Meatloaf’s Bat Out of Hell. It would eventually sell like 43million copies.
————————
Do you know how to write a song? Do you know anything about writing? If you're going to write for records, it goes like this: A, B, C, B, C, C. I don't know what you're doing. You're doing A, D, F, G, B, D, C. You don't know how to write a song.... Have you ever listened to pop music? Have you ever heard any rock-and-roll music.... You should go downstairs when you leave here...and buy some rock-and-roll records.
————————————

Last edited:

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier
Now you have to write a song.

Here’s what Clive Davis of CBS wrote to Jim Steinman when the were shopping what would become Meatloaf’s Bat Out of Hell. It would eventually sell like 43million copies.
————————
Do you know how to write a song? Do you know anything about writing? If you're going to write for records, it goes like this: A, B, C, B, C, C. I don't know what you're doing. You're doing A, D, F, G, B, D, C. You don't know how to write a song.... Have you ever listened to pop music? Have you ever heard any rock-and-roll music.... You should go downstairs when you leave here...and buy some rock-and-roll records.
————————————
I read Clive Davis book years ago, he said that in spite of what the public thinks and their job titles implied, no one knew what would sell. They just "threw a bunch of things against the wall to see what would stick." The industry had the money to do that in those days. These days the industry takes no chances at all.

James

Out There
Instructor
I read Clive Davis book years ago, he said that in spite of what the public thinks and their job titles implied, no one knew what would sell. They just "threw a bunch of things against the wall to see what would stick." The industry had the money to do that in those days. These days the industry takes no chances at all.
Apparently, Meatloaf and Steinman gave the impression, or outright lied, to Todd Rundgren the producer that they had a deal with RCA. So Rundgren had actually unknowingly fronted the money himself to make a lot of it.

It’s a fascinating story on how records get made too. Even in the 70’s, lots of people were involved.

———————
Another E Street Band member, Steven Van Zandt, and Sonenberg arranged to contact Cleveland International Records, a subsidiary of Epic Records. After listening to the spoken word intro to "You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth (Hot Summer Night)", founder Steve Popovich accepted the album for Cleveland.[25][26]
————————-

And parent company Epic hated it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online