• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Michigan pilot looking for airports to fly into and ski (Epic preferred)

Whirlybird

Booting up
Skier
Howdy peeps,

I'm from the mitten state, and am looking to fly out to Colorado and Utah in my Cirrus SR22 next year. Anyone know of good mountains that are general aviation friendly? Like easy to get to and from the mountain? I know Aspen has an airport that's directly next to the mountain. But as a military vet, I am inclined to purchase the Epic pass for it's discounted rates.

Hi!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Eagle county has an airport that is somewhat close to Beaver Creek and Vail.

For me, I prefer Aspen but as you noted, its not on the Epic pass.
Check with day rates for vets. And I think many of the Alterra resorts offer some kind of military discount.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
Gunnison, CO has an airport that serves Crested Butte an Epic/Vail resort. Lots of options for trip just over 30 miles to the ski area. You might want to take a look at it.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
With that kind of plane, I'm guessing major airports aren't an option? What are the restrictions on airports as an option? For instance, can you fly into SLC?

The others that come to mind for me are :
  • Telluride airport
  • Taos airport - not exactly Colorado, but not too far south of it
  • Grand Junction airport - further from Telluride and Aspen, but you could probably catch a shuttle to either?
  • Yampa Valley - 30-40 minutes from Steamboat, but again shuttles may be an option
  • Steamboat Springs airport
  • Aspen airport
  • Durango airport
Also, why just Colorado and Utah? Are other states options?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey @Whirlybird ... with your permission, I'm going to move this from the New Member intro section into General Skiing with a different title, where more people are likely to see it. Sound good?

jimidut

Skier since Rope Tow days
Skier
Park City is on Epic. Not my favorite in the area but PC is a cool old mining town. Deer Valley is closer to airport and has bonus of no knuckle draggers. Not Epic tho.
PC is Lower elevation and easy high desert approach from Wyoming.
Airport is Heber Valley

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have my family fly into Centennial (APA). Rent cars and drive 285 to 9 and enter Breck from the south. Nice FBO with Mx services and fuel. Eagle is the only one I know of with full service, but tbh, an SR22 won’t draw much help if needed out there. The place is full of business jets. Also the arrival and departure are sporty. Check your charts. If you’re not familiar with Mtn flying it can tricky quickly up here.

jimidut

Skier since Rope Tow days
Skier
Checked out your craft. Was wondering how comfy that flight would be. It sure looks up to the task. My buddy has a Super Decathalon, and while a ball to fly, not made for that kind of flying.
Have a good flight, wherever you go...

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Steamboat, while not on Epic, has 2 good airport option. KSBS, Bob Adams, is right next to town. In good weather and daylight should be easily accessible. If the weather is not good there or you are not comfortable then you can go to KHDN(Hayden) which is where all of the commercial flights go and is much more forgiving in terms of terrain.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
Leadville CO airport (LXV) is about 30 mins drive to Copper, 55-60 mins to Breck or Keystone and a bit longer to A-Basin. It's the highest airport in North America (9,934 ft elevation). My former boss from Evanston IL used to fly his civilian plane into LXV regulalrly in the summer.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Used to fly into Aspen in a T210 years ago. Coming from the East a turbocharger was pretty much a necessity. VFR only for us little guys, ended up in Grand Junction once, cheated a little on departure another time. Airplane parking cost more than our cheap lodging (when Aspen had such). Also flew into Denver (Stapleton) and rented a car several times.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
For the Epic Military pass you probably want resorts owned by Vail Resorts:
Vail & Beaver Creek--easy airport access
Keystone & Breck--not as easy airport access
Crested Butte--half hour away
Park City--close enough to SLC, maybe look at Ogden or Heber (I don't find Park City interesting enough to spend a couple of days flying there & back; of the group I prefer Vail, Keystone, CB.)

You'll need to decide for yourself which airports have surrounding mountains that are small plane friendly.

James

Out There
Instructor
The others that come to mind for me are :
  • Telluride airport
Another high altitude airport, 9,078ft, but with a box canyon nearby. This led to a honeymoon crash last fall on their way back home.

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
Another high altitude airport, 9,078ft, but with a box canyon nearby. This led to a honeymoon crash last fall on their way back home.
Yes. I believe Telluride has the shortest runway/landing strip in the country.

Sponsor