• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Michigander Seeks Advice on New Skis (Intermediate/Advanced)

TS
Subarctic Crawdaddy

Subarctic Crawdaddy

Booting up
Skier
I mentioned my AX on demos, I also have some non-FIS Racetiger SL's on a demo binding if you ever want to try those out for a giggle. We're about the exact same size and weight, so probably wouldn't even need to adjust the bindings, heh. Heck you could even take my M5's for a spin, they carve pretty good for a wide ski, and I rarely ski them anymore
Thanks! If I make it to Crystal Mountain, especially if it’s toward the end of the season, I may take you up on that. I would like to get a sense of how different types of skis perform, after I get some more turns in.

As soon as I can get out on the slopes though, my focus will be on clearing the cobwebs from the off-season and mastering carving on my newly ordered 82Ti’s.

I think that it would, however, at some point probably serve me well to get some experience on different types of skis, as I improve.

My next step, although probably not for a year or two after I make the next leap with my skills, will probably be to add a narrow aggressive carving ski to complement the 82Ti’s. Maybe a narrower Supershape or a something in Stockli’s Laser range. We’ll see though—one step at a time!

bitflogger

Putting on skis
Skier
You're smart to focus on a ski that will assist your carving prowess. Shaggy's are fine and all but not ideal for someone working on carving skills with a short(ish) turn radius.

Also, if you refine your short turn skills that will naturally work well when you do get into your aspirational goals of slaying the moguls. :cool:
:daffy:
That would be spot on if you are discussing their popular Ahmeek and Tubby models but I changed my opinion with the demo tour that just came by, and reactions and observations from my intermediate skiing friend trying different models.

The new models Fun Carver and Mohawk as well as their Brockways all carve well. Mohawk is for advanced skiers but something that really stood out trying the Fun Carver was how the front end hit crud for what the ski is.

Being in Michigan, @Subarctic Crawdaddy should be able to go north and try them all, and the Thompson family will do a super job of helping choose the right ski or make what is perfect.

:)

Sponsor

Staff online