• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Michigander Seeks Advice on New Skis (Intermediate/Advanced)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A few videos on the M-Pro 85 and what descriptions of intended use which mirror yours.

Another excellent video explaining the differences between the carving skis that you first mentioned(left racks) Vs skis like the Rossignol Experience or MPro 85(middle to middle/right racks) which add more versatility when not on perfectly groomed slopes.

This is really solid information.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would put my money into well fit ski boots over skis. A snug, properly fit boot can make most any ski work just fine on a typical groomer.
Boots are always the first consideration when investing in gear, and not just the boots but the right boot set up.

TS
Subarctic Crawdaddy

Subarctic Crawdaddy

Booting up
Skier
Thanks to all who have replied so far. I especially appreciate the Michigan/midwest-specific comments and the links to reviews, although everybody has been helpful.

To those who suggest that I just work on my skills with my current skis, I get it. But my son needs new skis this year, and the Kanjos will work just fine for him. If someone is going to get new skis this year, it's going to be me! And, if I'm going to get new skis, I want skis that will challenge me to learn to carve better and rise to the next level--although, on the flip side, I don't want to overwhelmed.

I'm a bit surprised that folks are recommending mid-80's skis. In my research, I've internalized a few things (which may be incorrect, or I may be misunderstanding): (1) Americans buy too wide of skis, (2) buy skis for where you actually ski, not where you dream of skiing, and (3) no one needs skis wider than 80mm if they're going to be on piste 100% of the time, especially if they're going to mostly be on groomed piste. All of that together led me to compiling my initial list as it was, although now I'm expanding it based on what has been said in this thread.

The Rossingol Experience, probably the 82Ti, is the ski that's been mentioned here that has established itself on my short-list.That, along with the e-Rally, are probably the two leaders right now. I know I can get both of those locally. I know that the e-Rally is a more aggressive carver, but that is where I want to be eventually, so I'm leaning towards that--probably with the new Protector bindings as an upgrade.

P.S. please forget I mentioned moguls! That's purely aspirational, and keeps throwing off what I really want advice on -- a narrow-run, short-slope carver for someone who's going to be working hard this year to improve their carving.

Last edited:

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
You're on the right track with your options, particulary with leaning toward a shorter radius. I have the AX in 168 and I LOVE it in michigan, one thing to consider is not only are the hills here short, they are also slow, so a ski that is fun at slower speeds is awesome to have. I can rail some pretty fun turns with the AX on even the modest blues at our "home" hill Crystal.

What hills do you ski?

TS
Subarctic Crawdaddy

Subarctic Crawdaddy

Booting up
Skier
You're on the right track with your options, particulary with leaning toward a shorter radius. I have the AX in 168 and I LOVE it in michigan, one thing to consider is not only are the hills here short, they are also slow, so a ski that is fun at slower speeds is awesome to have. I can rail some pretty fun turns with the AX on even the modest blues at our "home" hill Crystal.

What hills do you ski?
First vote for a Stockli...I didn't think it would take this long, seeing it seems to be the Internet's favorite ski! ;) But it does mean that I've now filled my "bingo card" and everyone has recommended at least one of my initial picks at least once (*minus the SC, but at least each brand once). Along with the new options (Dynastar, Rossingol) that have been suggested it means I'm gaining more options, not paring them down..but oh well. At least it seems like I haven't made any gross conceptual errors.

Seriously though, that's a great description, and very valuable, tailored information that speaks to me. Which means the AX has been added to the short list, along with the e-Rally and the Experience. Different skis, I know, but they all appeal for different reasons.

P.S. motogreg: I'll message you later about local stuff--have some questions that I don't want to clutter up the thread with.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Since this would be an "improvement" ski, I would consider a former lightly used demo ski. Something like this would work fine for you with a 14.2m turn radius in 169cm: https://www.kaestle.com/en/alpine/skis/show/px71/
Powder7 has former PX71 demos with the Kaestle bindings for $319. Also look at the MX74. From skiessentials on the MX74
"If you're looking to get on edge and stay on edge throughout the carve, the Kastle MX 74 is a great option for that type of skiing. Super-quick turning ability makes for strong mogul performance as well, although the dual-metal laminate does add a good amount of stiffness to the unit. Advanced skiers, mostly, will love the elegance and precision of the Kastle MX 74 skis."

Last edited:
Reactions: tch

motogreg

Skier
First vote for a Stockli...I didn't think it would take this long, seeing it seems to be the Internet's favorite ski! ;) But it does mean that I've now filled my "bingo card" and everyone has recommended at least one of my initial picks at least once (*minus the SC, but at least each brand once). Along with the new options (Dynastar, Rossingol) that have been suggested it means I'm gaining more options, not paring them down..but oh well. At least it seems like I haven't made any gross conceptual errors.

Seriously though, that's a great description, and very valuable, tailored information that speaks to me. Which means the AX has been added to the short list, along with the e-Rally and the Experience. Different skis, I know, but they all appeal for different reasons.

P.S. motogreg: I'll message you later about local stuff--have some questions that I don't want to clutter up the thread with.
Problem with the ax is the price. If I hadn't gotten a screaming deal I'd never have been able to swing it. Another good option round these parts is another forum fave the sl ski, I just got a set last season but havent gotten to play with them too much yet. Really hard to go wrong with any of your options.

motogreg

Skier
Between the AX and SC on firm snow. SC any day.

Probably a cleaner tool learning how to carve.
I would think though that the AX might give you some extra versatility on those (admittedly rare) fresh snow days. I kinda want to try the SC....

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I would think though that the AX might give you some extra versatility on those (admittedly rare) fresh snow days. I kinda want to try the SC....

As the OP said in post #23 above.

(2) buy skis for where you actually ski, not where you dream of skiing,

TBH, not really a fan of the AX. Not enough snow feel. I have one (01) good day on the AX out of 23 in the last 2 seasons. Not enough snow feel. OTOH, a FIS SL is just giggles for me. I do believe the FIS SL is way too much for the OP at this time.

The SC is more connected. Especially on hard snow without being punishing. For the occasional fresh days. It is really not an issue. For up to 6" on a hard deck, the SC will be fine. In fact, it's the best condition for cleaning the carve. Round turns is the secret to carving. Nothing better to clean up the round turn than crud on a hard deck.

motogreg

Skier
Fair enough, though we do get 100 inches a year in the snowbelt regions here, so not exactly mid atlantic...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd like to interupt this thread to say, "I'm in Michigan right now as I'm typing this post"
Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 1.52.28 PM.png

JimL

Putting on skis
Skier
I started skiing in Minnesota, which I am guessing has similar conditions to MI - mostly man-made snow, mostly hard, some ice (although I understand the UP has more natural snow). Of the skis you listed in your first post, I am most familiar with the Stockli Laser SC. I bought a pair of used 2017 season demo Laser SCs early this year on eBay, and they are really outstanding for firm/hard snow carvers, and they work pretty well in moguls also. which I am just beginning to get into.

I agree with King Grump about those skis (although I like the Laser AX more than he does), and I also think getting a pair of used demos for those particular skis is a good idea, as Stockli have a reputation for durability. Mine had some chips on the top sheet, but I don't notice them when I'm skiing, and they cost me less than $400 including bindings, which is a real bargain compared to their cost when new.

Also agree with the comments about having good fitting boots, as they are the most important part of your equipment since they are the connection between you and your ski.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Hello All,

Long time reader, first time poster, looking for help with selecting new skis for this season. I appreciate all the experience and wisdom on this forum; it’s been a great help narrowing down candidates. But, before I hit the local ski stores, I was hoping the crowd here might be able to give me some personalized advice.

I’m a high-intermediate, borderline low-advanced, skier. I’m 5’7” (170 cm) and about 155 lbs. Before last season, my skill-level was one-step above “hazard,” and my goal on the slopes was to neither die nor kill someone. But I worked hard last season to up my game through lessons and a lot of work. Now it’s time for some new skis to help me take it to the next level. This season, I’ll be out there a lot again, focusing on bettering my carving and possibly—if I can make enough progress—trying moguls.

I’m from Michigan and almost all my time—and perhaps all these skis’ time—will be spent there. The local hills are low, with groomed runs that are narrow and short. My typical pattern is to wake up early and be on the slopes right when they open. I spend much of my time, therefore, on fresh corduroy, although it can get choppy later—especially if I make it a longer day. I’m never on fresh powder locally, and even if I take a few trips “up north” (as we call it in Michigan), significant powder is unlikely (although the hills will be higher and the runs longer).

My current skis are 2019 Volkl Kanjos in 168. I like them, and I’ll be passing them on to my son. But the turn radius, 17.5 meters, is too large for the local slopes. When I started carving last season, I was thrilled—but I was traveling across almost the entire skiable area of the run with each turn, making it hard when the slopes got crowded and limiting the number of turns that I got in per-run on our shorter hills.

I’ve done a lot of reading and narrowed it down to the following skis, based on factors that include local availability:

Head e-Rally
Stockli Laser SC
Stockli Montero AX
Volkl Deacon 72
Volkl Deacon 76

I’ve read all the reviews of these that I can find and spent a lot of time considering the pros and cons—but, given my inexperience, I’m looking for some help to be sure that I’m on the right track. What says the wisdom of the crowd, as to both ski and length? I’d like to keep it to these models to keep the discussion focused, but I’m open to other suggestions if my profile screams out a good candidate that’s not on my list.

Thank you very much in advance!
From your list:
1.. Stockli Laser SC
2. Volkl Deacon 72
3. Head e-Rally (or even an i-Rally)

Also consider Rossi ST and Fischer SC.

Tune 'em 1 base 3 side, until you want more precision, then go for a 0.5 base, 3 side tune.

Skeezer

Booting up
Skier
Check out the Blossom AM77 too. Carving, crud, moguls, freshies, on or off piste, this ski is at home doing it all. I’m 5’8” 155# and I ski the AM77 in a 170. If you want a little wider version, check out the AM85. There are numerous discussions here on both. And I’d recommend a good beer with the smoked fish.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Marquette? Say hi to Joe Pera !!
Actually we're in Ishpeming doing some archive work at the Hall of Fame.

We stopped at Jeannie Thoren's house in Duluth to pick up some archives and she treated us to home made Pasties. then we ate smoked fish when we arrived in Ihspeming.
Yesterday was a treat of stewed venison sandwiches.

Grab a Pasty and some smoked fish!
Pfft.... did that as soon as I got here. ;)

Last edited:

Sponsor