• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-80s Quiver Ski Has Become...Boring - What Next?

Jarngreipr

Vurt da furk!
Skier
3 ski quiver. Minnesota based. Dynastar Speed Zone 12 Ti (174cm) for hard and cold conditions - realistically I could spend 90% of my days on this ski. I like this ski a lot for what it's intended to do. K2 iKonic 84 (177, non-ti) for "everything else" which really just ends up being when I don't feel like working short turns on the Dynastars. Fischer Ranger 92 Ti (178) for travelling to real snow not in Minnesota - proved itself as the right ski for me in variable conditions at Big Sky late in the season. As thread title suggest, it's the K2 that is no longer inspriring, and I'm not sure it ever was. I supposed it served a purpose but I find myself looking at other skis and wondering if they might be "better" or "more fun" or "something the K2 isn't". Maybe it's the distinct lack of personality the K2 displays...mostly suitable for the middle ground and not trying to be anything else.

Skis that, on paper, might have more personality and still serve the purpose (and perhaps then some - I could see travelling to better snow with two pairs of skis):

- Salomon Stance 84
- Dynastar M-Pro 85
- Volkl Kanjo
- Elan Wingman 82 Ti or CTi
- Fischer PRO MTN 86 Ti ***NOS Wild Card***

Looking for some input and feedback so I don't just turn this into a Ready? Fire! Aim? exercise...

TS
Jarngreipr

Jarngreipr

Vurt da furk!
Skier
Of the ones you mention, only the Stance and the Fischer 86 Ti would not be "out of the gates" borring for you, seems like.

Added to the above (outside the box):

Blossom Numero Uno N*1 RC
(See skitalk reviews.)

Peak 88
(Again, see skitalk reviews.)
Agree with the Stance and Fischer perspective... Question then becomes how to decide between those two. Based on cut alone, Stance is probably more "versatile" (to the left of the K2) whereas Fischer seems carving biased (to the right of the K2). Trying to minimize overlap with my other skis.

James

Out There
Instructor
God that Ikonic 84 was awful from the get go.

Kastle MX 83, or whatever number they’re on.

Salomon S Force Bold - old stock.

Look st the new Rossi Forza coming out. Maybe slightly narrow for mid 80’s.
It’s supposed to carry on the old CS70, CX80 of some years ago. Those were great skis.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Great options from other posts!

Agree with the Stance and Fischer perspective... Question then becomes how to decide between those two. Based on cut alone, Stance is probably more "versatile" (to the left of the K2) whereas Fischer seems carving biased (to the right of the K2). Trying to minimize overlap with my other skis.

If yours were instead the Ti Iconics, maybe (and then only the later, last, few really good years for this Ti ski, when it changed a lot;
since most years, this K2 sucked); then maybe that evaluation of yours would be close.
But with the non-Ti Iconics, I'd say both Stance 84 and Fischer 86 have more bite/carve than the Iconics ("to the right"),
though the Fischers at least are probably also more versatile at the same time, and thus,
more "to the left," and "more to the right." The Stance 84 may well be almost the same, pretty much -
more fun at "versatile," and also more fun at "carve."

Not sure, but if you are going for the least overlap, probably I'd pick the Fischers. (The Stances have a bit more frontside bias, maybe.)

People have loved that particular Fischer, partly because no ski that carves that well has any business being so versatile -
for an advanced skier, at least.

Last edited:
TS
Jarngreipr

Jarngreipr

Vurt da furk!
Skier
Great options from other posts!

If yours were instead the Ti Iconics, maybe (and then only the later, last, few really good years for this Ti ski, when it changed a lot; since most years, this K2 sucked); then maybe that evaluation of yours would be close. But with the non-Ti Iconics, I'd say both Stance 84 and Fischer 86 have more bite/carve than the Iconics ("to the right"), though the Fischers at least are probably also more versatile at the same time, and thus, more "to the left," and "more to the right." The Stance 84 may well be almost the same, pretty much - more fun at "versatile," and also more fun at "carve."

Not sure, but if you are going for the least overlap, probably I'd pick the Fischers. (The Stances have a bit more frontside bias, maybe.)

People have loved that particular Fischer, partly because no ski that carves that well has any business being so versatile - for an advanced skier, at least.
Yeah, all that makes a lot of sense. Even the "both to the right and to the left" bit - I think the K2 is basically a step or more below and narrower in spectrum (while wanting to be broader but not really getting there).

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
(P.S. In terms of just overlap, that Blossom Number One might have too much overlap with your Speedzones. I listed it because it would still be such a different experience, probably.)

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have a two ski quiver (if you can call it that). I bring both pair with me everytime I go up.
When I got back into the sport in 2020 I bought speedzone 12s in 174 from a Craigslist ad. I learned to ski on shaped skis with this pair. These are tuned 1/3. I like them but as you know they like to be on edge. On flat runouts I find that if I don't make the occasional turn here and there they tend to get swimmy/squirmy.
My other pair(bought new unskied on this forum) are Fischer 86 RC Ones in 175. I use this ski alot more than the Speedzones. They are just so stable and easy to ski. The system bindings are set up on the factory line. Going from the Speedzone 12s to this much stiffer ski required some adjustments in my boot setup. If you could demo this ski it would be worth a try.
At 86 underfoot it performs well in boot high powder as well. I really enjoy this ski. This is tuned 1/3 also.
I find myself cruising at 25-30 mph, top speed to date is 43. There's more speed available but I'm 66 and taking it easier than I have in the past :) I don't bounce like I used to...
Slemers

TS
Jarngreipr

Jarngreipr

Vurt da furk!
Skier
I have a two ski quiver (if you can call it that). I bring both pair with me everytime I go up.
When I got back into the sport in 2020 I bought speedzone 12s in 174 from a Craigslist ad. I learned to ski on shaped skis with this pair. These are tuned 1/3. I like them but as you know they like to be on edge. On flat runouts I find that if I don't make the occasional turn here and there they tend to get swimmy/squirmy.
My other pair(bought new unskied on this forum) are Fischer 86 RC Ones in 175. I use this ski alot more than the Speedzones. They are just so stable and easy to ski. The system bindings are set up on the factory line. Going from the Speedzone 12s to this much stiffer ski required some adjustments in my boot setup. If you could demo this ski it would be worth a try.
At 86 underfoot it performs well in boot high powder as well. I really enjoy this ski. This is tuned 1/3 also.
I find myself cruising at 25-30 mph, top speed to date is 43. There's more speed available but I'm 66 and taking it easier than I have in the past :) I don't bounce like I used to...
Slemers
The Speed Zones definitely prefer to be on edge with some speed.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Speed Zones definitely prefer to be on edge with some speed.
At some point, you might consider a pair of FIS SL 165 skis. If you like the Speed Zones, the FIS skis would probably be a fun revelation for you: they are not hard to ski; they are not as temperamental as those Speed Zones, they allow slower, more relaxed skiing in a way the Speed Zones don't tend to. And they have a lot more up side to them also. (And you can get them pretty cheaply from ex racers, online and on this website at times. They are usually in better than new condition: almost perfectly prepped for racing.)

They make even a smaller mountain more fun, more effective use of the shorter vertical.
I use them often in Colorado, with 2,000 ft. of vertical.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you'd find the Rossi Exp 82ti to be more engaging than the K2 84 it would replace.

I love my 86tis, and find them far more engaging and "zoomy" than the Enforcer 88s they replaced.

And I'll just sniff the bait of "replace your 84 with an FIS Slalom ski" and swim away after hopefully answering your actual question.

Oh, and dang those Vikings!!!

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
At some point, you might consider a pair of FIS SL 165 skis. If you like the Speed Zones, the FIS skis would probably be a fun revelation for you: they are not hard to ski; they are not as temperamental as those Speed Zones, they allow slower, more relaxed skiing in a way the Speed Zones don't tend to. And they have a lot more up side to them also. (And you can get them pretty cheaply from ex racers, online and on this website at times. They are usually in better than new condition: almost perfectly prepped for racing.)

They make even a smaller mountain more fun, more effective use of the shorter vertical.
I use them often in Colorado, with 2,000 ft. of vertical.

Totally agree with this. However as a masters level athlete I can go into a 160, which has a 12.3m radius.

You totally don’t need a fat ski in the West. I probably have 30 days on FIS slalom and GS skis this season. We had incredibly dump’s early season, and were skiing game-on black diamond bump runs to a few feet of powder on 30m FIS GS skis.

My every day, all mtn ski that I teach on is 78 underfoot.

All good fun.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've had good feels with the Wingman 86 CTi and the Rossignol Experience 86Ti. This year, though, my go to for all around is the Lusti CWR 87. Caveat: I've had none of them on hard hard snow or icy conditions. Everything else though they all are really good skis. The Lustis, fresh in my mind from this year, may be the tops though.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor