• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Mid December Destination Help-Utah vs Banff

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Hey guys-

Planning my annual birthday ski trip Dec 10-15. I always book this kind of last minute to see where the snow is piling up. Given all the dumping that's been happening and early openings, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger. I frequently find myself in Banff that week, and was kind of planning on that again, but with all the snow in Utah I'm strongly considering that as well. I'm an Ikon pass holder and already have trips to Red/Whitewater, Jackson, Big Sky and Steamboat booked for later in the season. My main question is how much of a shit show is Cottonwoods traffic/parking on weekdays. My last trip there was Jan 2020. Skiing was glorious with 81" during the 8 days I skied, but the traffic was an absolute nightmare. I was staying in Cottonwood Heights and there were days it took 2 hrs to get to Alta and Snowbird leaving at like 6 or 6:30 (without road closures!). I understand that the epic snowfall contributed. I also haven't kept up with the parking situation. Last time I was there, only Solitude was charging for parking. Any news on that front?

Anyway, my gut is kind go telling me to go to Banff because it's got good early snow, low/no crowds on the weekdays, and an easy driving/parking/flying situation. However, I do love all of the Cottonwoods resorts, I haven't been in a while, and my ski buddy has never been there. I guess I'd also consider Tahoe or Mammoth, but I don't have as good a sense of the snow out there.

In any case, I'm super pumped to have good early snow anywhere! Any insight/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

TS
Beartown

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Did a lot of reading overnight. Given all the traffic/parking/bus drama, it looks like the kind of Utah trip I'm used to (stay in town, drive up daily) seems ill-advised/huge PITA. Looks like cheap, easy trip to Banff vs cheap, potentially challenging trip to UT vs expensive (staying at Snowbird or Solitude) easy trip to UT. Lots of deciding to do!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
How about 3 or 4 nights at the Brighton Lodge? Go up BCC and don't come down until time to fly home: https://brightonresort.com/the-brighton-lodge

I would think that the weekday commutes up to Snowbird (still free parking there) would be good in mid-Dec as long as there is not a huge powder dump and frenzy during your visit. And you can use Ikon to cross over to Alta once back in Mineral Basin.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you are planning on visiting Banff, wait until the resorts are reporting at least 90cm of snow at the sunshine plot or lake louise "upper mountain".

Lake Louise currently has top to bottom skiing, but it is incredibly rocky. They are reporting 44 cm now. Under 60 cm is barely skiable, and most mountains wouldn't open with so little coverage. I would expect a lot to change in the next month, but you never know. If you have the luxury of last minute, just follow the snow report.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
LL men's events postponed for too much new snow. That is a very good sign.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Another option is the bunk room at Goldminer's Daughter Lodge. Best location at Alta, includes breakfast, après ski and dinner and the price is quite reasonable. Another bonus is you do not have to worry about parking and they offer a free shuttle to Snowbird, though you can also ski there via Mineral basin. You can also ski back at the end of the day. You also have free parking and if you are lucky it will snow so much they close LCC and you get the mountain to yourself on a POW day. Personally this is one of my favorite ski lodges to stay at for so many reasons .... but to be clear it is not fancy and it really is all about skiing so snowboarders and looky loos need not apply lol :roflmao: In all seriousness Alta does not allow snowboarding so if you snowboard this is not the lodge or ski resort for you. Also if you want a mint on your pillow and turndown service this is not the lodge for you. But if you want to stay in an awesome old school ski lodge owned and run by skiers for skiers with the best possible location on the mountain (12 feet from the main lift) you cannot go wrong!!

A word to the wise if you do ski there and want to wax or tune your skis you need to do it yourself as all the shops at the hill truck their skis into Salt Lake City for this and if you want to grab first chair the next morning your skis may not be back at the hill.

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
We’re definitely in need of snow here. (Banff/LL/SS etc) We started well but then hit a dry spell. Just got a bit of snow and hopefully a bit more next couple days but honestly it’s going to take a couple of huge storms to make a difference.

We’ll get the snow…but I wouldn’t commit my cash until our base gets built up as it’s iffy right now…

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
It has been a pretty bad start to the year in Banff.....like the worst start we've had for a while. There's some snow in the forecast, but not enough to make Banff the best choice for mid December this year.

Fernie seems to be doing alright. Assuming I can fight off the flu, I'll be in Fernie this weekend. Alternately, Rogers Pass.

The Alberta Rockies are THIN, with a faceted snowpack.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Sun Peaks is now part of the Ikon Pass and today (Dec3) they are opening the Burfield Chair, meaning all major lifts are operating. SP has 102 of 137 runs open with mostly gladed areas between the runs still closed and some black and double black runs under the lower Burfield Chair still closed.

Due to over 30 years of on going summer grooming, early season at Sun Peaks skis better than most....you won't need P-tex. This time of year SP can have 25-30cm less base depth than most but have better coverage and it won't be crowded.

With Revelstoke, another Ikon Pass mtn, about 3 hours from Sun Peaks, imo they are a better choice right now than Banff.

Sponsor

Staff online