• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC Midlife crisis ski road trip (BC Okanagan)

jhkc

Booting up
Skier
Pandemic and other things be damned... I'm doing my mid-life crisis ski road trip this year. I'm starting in Metro Vancouver driving to Manning Park, Apex, Big White, Sun Peaks, and then Silverstar before returning home. All places are two days except for Manning which is just a day to check it out. Most of those are two ski days except for Manning which is just one.

My plans are a bit messed up because my buddy backed out and my original alterations to the plan (to save money) are falling thru because Big White doesn't allow cancellations/changes to reservations < 30 days from the date. But I'm determined to do this. My knees aren't getting any healthier...

Anyways; any advice is appreciated. Not leaving for another week and a half-ish.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome to SkiTalk, and I hope you have a great trip with lots of snow! Good luck.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
That's a great trip. I've taken a few similar turns through that area but never skied Manning. I hope you have scheduled a few days off, at least for travel. Middle aged legs need a break from time to time.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love going to Big White. Lots of variety for everyone. The 2 chairs in the middle get crowded with families skiing all the blue runs , so move out to the other lifts. After some snow , ski the cliff till its skied out, ski the trees off gem lake ( and others ) Black forest lodge is good for lunch. Lots of gluten free and vegan if you're into that. Don't touch the snow ghosts !! They look soft and fluffy but theyre hard as rock.

At Sun Peaks , get a sticky bun at the sunburst lodge. Make the hike to gils. even old people can do it. Don't forget to do some runs on Morrissey

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Middle aged be damned - if you like to ski, set your sights on that senior pass and plan for the long haul! Anyway it sounds like a lot of fun so be sure to report back.

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
Middle aged be damned - if you like to ski, set your sights on that senior pass and plan for the long haul! Anyway it sounds like a lot of fun so be sure to report back.
I don't know when you plan on going but right now conditions suck after a big thaw and freeze. Bring skates

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Welcome. Lots of kids are out playing at recess right now but will be back soon.
When is your trip? The region is in the annual January false spring right now. We don't want wo talk about off piste right now. We all hope this will right itself in the next week or so. But be aware it is going to make a pretty slippery layer in the snowpack.
Not trying to scare you just make you aware. Enjoy the roadtrip.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
@jhkc, send me a PM when you get to Sun Peaks and we can ski a few runs, although I am riding single. due to Covid.

Never mind middle age, it was too long ago to remember.

I am wearing a knee brace so mostly ski groomers which other than the lower 500 vertical feet, are skiing ok right now.

TS
jhkc

jhkc

Booting up
Skier
I had a logistical snafu when my buddy bailed on me but I'm hoping to get my dates firmed up soon. Likely departing Jan 26 or 27.
Manning park I've only been to one time and it was also around this time of year and it was experiencing monsoon like rains... My daughter and I lasted 4 runs and I went for two more after that. It just wasn't worth it. I was hoping this time would be different.

I've been to all these places before but it's been a few years for all of them.

I'm not wearing a knee brace yet... but I do have an MRI scheduled for the week after my return ; )

I loved reading the trip reports here so I'll try to contribute at least a few photos along the way.

TS
jhkc

jhkc

Booting up
Skier
Welcome. Lots of kids are out playing at recess right now but will be back soon.
When is your trip? The region is in the annual January false spring right now. We don't want wo talk about off piste right now. We all hope this will right itself in the next week or so. But be aware it is going to make a pretty slippery layer in the snowpack.
Not trying to scare you just make you aware. Enjoy the roadtrip.
my foggy memory is starting to kick in. I do remember being rained on at Manning; freeze/thaw/freeze at Baker, and crazy wind/monsoon at Cypress all on the last Monday of January in recent years. Is this coincidence or a real weather pattern?

Mental note and leaving this here to remind my future self: Jan 7 - Feb 7 I promise to take four weeks off skiing

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
You should also consider hitting Revelstoke, Fernie and Panorama, or for that matter Red, so many great options in BC. If you are willing go further you could also do Kicking Horse, Lake Louise and Sunshine, or hit Marmot in Jasper. So many options and the nice part is you can always just follow the snow.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Mental note and leaving this here to remind my future self: Jan 7 - Feb 7 I promise to take four weeks off skiing
I'm not sure that I would call Jan 7 to Feb 7 the ideal, most reliable, 4 weeks of the season. Best to allow more time for the mountains to recover from Xmas crowds and a slow start to the season that sometimes happens. (happened to Red with a limited and later than planned opening as well as others this season).

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Feb 7 to March 7 is a decent sweet spot, never a weather guaranty.

By then it's daylight for morning drive to the hill and enough daylight after skiing for the drive either to a next stop or home.

I suppose your proposed route MP- Apex- Big White then over to Sun Peaks, then back again to Silver Star and home might have been dictated by recent highway closures,
Hwy #5 opens to non commercial traffic tomorrow - (allow 45 min longer than usual with ongoing construction)

I'd look at a slight different route now, less driving - Sun Peaks- Silver Star-Big White-Apex -Manning Park.
do dinner at the Gasthouse in Peachland enroute to Apex.

We always make Apex last stop as it's a relatively painless drive home. afterward. Haven't stopped at Manning since the 70's don't know if it's changed much

later than March 7 hills in the Okanogan start to be spring effected, some more than others.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Don’t call it a crisis. Wisdom sounds better.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Longer trips always better! ogsmile

Skied plenty of BW, SS and some at SP.

Not much change SS in recent years - unless you skied there more than just a few years ago. Head to the backside for the gnarly terrain. There's some nice blue and black groomers that side as well if your knees aren't up for the bumps.

BW put in a replacement for the old, creaky, very slow triple Powder Chair. Much better quad. BW has a ton of wide open mellow terrain. Cliff if you want something steeper. Also the Easter Chutes. Will need help to locate and best ski with an other.

Vis is a lottery at BW. If it's clear go for it. If not then the trees are your go. There's a level to suit everyone - Black Forest for intro level, then The Ridge area, Powder/Falcon area and Thunder Glades off Gem for something more exciting. But always ski with others in the trees. People tree-well and there have been deaths. If no other skiers for this trip then nibble at the edges so trees provide a reference or take a hosted tour.

In normal years SS and BW run host guided tours for varying skill levels. Not sure what the go is for covid atm but if they are running they usually congregate in the village about 9:15am and head out for about a 2 hour tour at 9:30am. Insurance limits the terrain they are allowed to ski but they'll point out some of the more interesting stuff for later. If you catch bad vis at BW those hosts tours can be great to have some-one to follow who still knows where they are in the soup. Also a good way to meet casual contacts for skiing the rest of the day as other solos likely to be there.

Have fun. :thumb:

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
You should also consider hitting Revelstoke, Fernie and Panorama, or for that matter Red, so many great options in BC. If you are willing go further you could also do Kicking Horse, Lake Louise and Sunshine, or hit Marmot in Jasper. So many options and the nice part is you can always just follow the snow.
While those are all great areas, they're all farther away from Vancouver than the current itinerary. OP may have mapped out the limit of how far they want to drive. Especially because it sounds like they're going solo with their buddy backing out.

TS
jhkc

jhkc

Booting up
Skier
Day 1: Manning Park
I had a colleague who used to do ski patrol here. She raved about it but the only time I went a few years before ago it was raining heavily despite the forecast for snow.

This morning I drove out of the fog and into the glorious sun at Manning. I got a late start (11 am) but still managed 14 runs. Only the Bear chair is running on weekdays.

Morning was hard pack and not fun if you were off the groomers. But as the sun did it’s work and the snow softened up around 1:30 pm. I enjoyed Snag/Sun Step/Timber Cruise. I didn’t know which of those I was on, I kept criss crossing between them all. In good days I imagine that area is an awesome blend of trees, gullies, and powder.
The areas around the chair are nice for those who prefer wide open spaces. There were some parts of the blues that dropped off rapidly catching a few people off guard.

Toughest run of the day for me was Tree Well. It was steep, denser trees, and lots of shade which made the snow was hard and icy. That was the one that told me it was time to quit. Even on a powder day with hero snow that run would near my limits.

I can see why my coworker loved this small hill. it has interesting variety of runs… zero lines on weekdays and friendly staff. If only they had more fresh snow. If you’re a newbie make sure you have winter tires and a vehicle that can handle rough roads.

Next stop, Penticton and Apex Mountain

Attachments

• 6D32843C-76EA-4862-86C8-7CF4A5820A5B.jpeg
    6D32843C-76EA-4862-86C8-7CF4A5820A5B.jpeg
    292.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 5BC69515-718D-444C-AEFE-EA0D172ECE5A.jpeg
    5BC69515-718D-444C-AEFE-EA0D172ECE5A.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 14
  • AC7FFE88-C00D-482A-8139-A82563E3B4C9.jpeg
    AC7FFE88-C00D-482A-8139-A82563E3B4C9.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 1048E6F1-BF2F-4043-9350-51253022BD7B.jpeg
    1048E6F1-BF2F-4043-9350-51253022BD7B.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 16
  • DF9E269D-AEA4-4357-8FFC-1331B18CB8C7.jpeg
    DF9E269D-AEA4-4357-8FFC-1331B18CB8C7.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 99AFCE76-3CAA-4012-A40E-4E042A4998F3.jpeg
    99AFCE76-3CAA-4012-A40E-4E042A4998F3.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 17
TS
jhkc

jhkc

Booting up
Skier
Day 2: Apex
I love the old-school vibe this place has. All the ski racks are made of wood. First thing you encounter when approaching the runs is a T-Bar. There are wooden fences set up in certain areas instead of that plastic netting to demark boundaries (only where it’s safe to do so).

I grabbed a trail map but didn’t use it… going by my fuzzy memories from 5 years ago. Snow was similar to yesterday. Hard pack and icy but the groomers were good. It was a colder day than at Manning so the snow didn’t really soften up except on runs that had the southern aspect. Most of the runs to the right (facing up hill) of the quad chair were not in the sun. I tried Golden Eagle, Great Wall, and Sun bowl when things softened up. They had lots of snow, big moguls and quite steep. Great Wall was aptly named because after I skied the first part, I encountered a Great Wall of trees. I skipped over to Golden Eagle to finish that run

the triple chair has some interesting terrain too, especially if you like rollers. You can really pick up speed and get air on those. Only complaint is that it takes 10 minutes for Stock’s Chair to reach the top and its quite loud. I guess not everything old school is great…

the sun was gone around 2:30 behind the ridge leaving flat light and shadows. I quit at 3

a few groups of teens were in training. There’s a moguls competition happening here on the weekend. Unfortunately I’ll miss it, tomorrow is my last ski day at Apex.

Note for Newbies: you can get discounted tickets at Costco for Apex. $74 and it gives you an added 20% off a junior/teen ticket and 25% off rentals.

Attachments

• IMG_0491.MOV
    18.1 MB · Views: 0
  • A4A2BB32-2E05-4663-9618-A54940FF5F0C.jpeg
    A4A2BB32-2E05-4663-9618-A54940FF5F0C.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 4C1A7249-3C66-45B0-80CB-FC46D753E075.jpeg
    4C1A7249-3C66-45B0-80CB-FC46D753E075.jpeg
    243 KB · Views: 12
  • 3EC5F536-FAF7-4207-9947-B79FA5B76DB0.jpeg
    3EC5F536-FAF7-4207-9947-B79FA5B76DB0.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 12