• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Midwesterner 1st time in West

James

Out There
Instructor
You’ll be fine with the trails. You can see what you’re getting into for the most part at those two places. At Abasin, you can take the Pallavicini, “Pali”, lift and scope out what’s there. It’s pretty steep, doesn’t get less so where the trees are either. If you don’t want to do it there’s blue ways back to the main area.

The biggest issue could be altitude. Not sure there’s ever any way to know if it’s a problem until encountered. The town of Dillon is like 9,200ft. Silverthorne is a bit less. If you have issues at Abasin,(or Loveland), the only way to deal with it is get lower. If you’re alone you might need assistance.

Usually, I have no issues. One year I could not get to sleep. (Sleeping in Dillon) Felt like my lungs were filling with fluid. The only way I could sleep was upright in a chair. That was weird. It went away after a few days.

Do not take sleeping pills if you have such an issue. Not sure sleeping pills are a good idea at all up there, but that’s beyond my knowledge.
Consulting a doctor with altitude knowledge is important if you have serious problems.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'll just throw in Diamox as an alternative for helping with altitude. Especially if you're sleeping up high. The side effects like the taste issue are kinda crap. But if you're worried, it can help..it's probably over the counter down there. I find the dry air harder on my sinuses more than anything when sleeping up high.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll just throw in Diamox as an alternative for helping with altitude. Especially if you're sleeping up high. The side effects like the taste issue are kinda crap. But if you're worried, it can help..it's probably over the counter down there. I find the dry air harder on my sinuses more than anything when sleeping up high.
Diamox (acetazolamide is the generic name) is by prescription only. You can’t get it over the counter anywhere in the US.

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hello everyone,

I'm taking my first trip skiing out west. Out west being Colorado.

I took annual trips to Snowshoe, WV as a kid and have skied Minnesota and Wisconsin hills about 40 trips since 2002. I consider myself level 7 or 8. In Snowshoe and the Midwest, I'm confident with just about everything (pitches of up to 53%, terrain parks, fast turns, etc.) except moguls and glades. I'm OK at low speeds in sparce glades. We have a lot of groomed runs, icy patches, and hard packed snow in MN/WI.

All that being said, how should I approach my trip to Colorado? Are black runs in Colorado ridiculously harder than MN/WI and WV? Obviously, the elevation is a bit higher than my 900 feet above sea level life. I plan on having a day in Denver to help acclimate a bit.

Thanks in advanced!

I was at A-Basin today so maybe I can be of more help, since the last time I was there a third of the mountain was closed due to a lack of snow. A lot of the runs off the Lenawee lift are pretty solid to get a feel for things, everything is wide open so you know what you are getting into. There are some steaper areas but they aren't really that long.

In Montezuma it is similar to an extent, you have wide open areas at the top. There is more expert terrain but some easier runs as well like Colombine...even some pretty approachable blacks depending on the snow conditions. There are some trees as well in the lower areas, I can see getting into a tough spot if you don't know where you are going.

The Beevers are pretty tough, the sign about the blue runs is defintely not there for decoration. I actually enjoyed loafer a lot, it is a bizarre run with mellow spots and then some spots that are kind of technical and steepish but a run an advanced intermeidete should be fine with. It would be a black at a lot of other places.

I only went up the Pali lift a few times, you can get anywhere from it and the terrian can be anywhere from expert to intermediate. The frontside is like others have said, easier to more difficult from left to right. Enjoy your trip, I imagine A-Basin is like heaven if they get a powder dump. I am probably the wrong person to ask about altitude advice, last trip to CO I drove straight to Winter Park and I live at similar elevation as you. I've only ever had pretty minor issues with going to higher elevations.

Last edited:

Sponsor