• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Dominique Gisin with Mikaela. 3 yrs ago
Some good stuff.

This is from 2019 in Lake Louise. An interview, but more of a discussion than usual. Probably because Gisin is another athlete in the same arena, Shiffrin is more relaxed and open. Really interesting about her lack of “killer instinct” , and how she’s not motivated by anger, and learned how to use that. Too bad the video is not twice as long.
Thanks for sharing this video. It really makes you like her even more. I agree that just two athletes having a chat and not an interview is what brings out the best of the individual because of the shared experience. It also shows how grounded she is and that the advice from her family has been so important.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
And as DG said - "and that's why we love her."

That generosity of spirit and lack of...anger. The love of experience - shared experience, skiing, life...Her self awareness and wisdom - at 24 !
Interesting how after what she said about recovery how it was while Kilde was rehabing from his injury they met and began training together and etc.

Also I didn't know her mother was a nurse, which for me is very interesting in that my father was a doctor and my mother was a nurse, and as it appears with them, it was her father who was the sweet, gentle soul and the mother has the fire.
Maybe just projecting here, but I recognize everything she say's about a lack of "killer instinct" and drive to be better and always seeing room to grow - I wonder if somehow having parents with "reversed poles" with a nurturing male father and a strong mother contributes to that personality. And not to compare it to the level MS is at, I played lacrosse at the division 1 level in college - and all the years I played any sport - golf, surfing (Both of those seem to bring out the worst in some people for some reason) and I am better than average at most of them (if I must say so myself) - I have never been driven by anger or the winning is all that matters thing - just a love of the movements and moments.
Sorry if I digress from the topic - but she just articulates so well....

Forgive me one more diversion -
IMG_0985.jpeg

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for sharing this video. It really makes you like her even more. I agree that just two athletes having a chat and not an interview is what brings out the best of the individual because of the shared experience. It also shows how grounded she is and that the advice from her family has been so important.

Great interview, Gisin and Mikaela gave us a real look at Mikaela temperment and partly why she is so good. Thanks for Post.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Dominique Gisin with Mikaela. 3 yrs ago
Some good stuff.

This is from 2019 in Lake Louise. An interview, but more of a discussion than usual. Probably because Gisin is another athlete in the same arena, Shiffrin is more relaxed and open. Really interesting about her lack of “killer instinct” , and how she’s not motivated by anger, and learned how to use that. Too bad the video is not twice as long.
Thanks James really good interview/talk between these two racers. The best sit down with MS I have seen.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks! Very nice of you to do that translating. One of these days in Sweden.
I’ll celebrate now by choking down a piece of Swedish salted licorice.

This is funny:

Yeah they all, like HK, seem to look down doing those slow drills.

Prefer the Finish sweet licorice, and salmiak, but salt is ok too, it’s more popular here in Sweden. Re the drill, a speed thing most pro’lly. As soon as you pick up speed a little you’d be looking farther down the hill instead.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The mainstream media doesn’t pay attention - and those reporters that do are often pressured to put the spin on “the Olympics are the only things that matter.” It’s playing to cultural naïveté any way you look at it.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is she doomed yet? Is her career over? Should we already write her off?

I mean...she straddled a gate and didn't win after all so it is surely over now...

P.S. Seriously...I watched an interview with her these days where they asked her about the record, Stenmark etc and she was like: Yeah I might win more wins but Stenmark will still be bigger legend because of his legacy the overall influence over the sport etc etc and she also spoke very highly of Vonn and was downplaying her own achievements all the time. I mean how could you not like her-a sweet, down to earth girl who also happens to be the best skier in the history of the sport, right?

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Things seem fine.
—————
“The surface changed a little bit on those last gates. On inspection I saw it was a bit more unstable on the snow and I had to be still strong with my position and the course it doesn’t go straight to the finish, it keeps turning. I tried to be aware of that but I also knew that if I had a chance to make up nine-tenths (of a second) on Federica (Brignone) – or more than that – I had to push like crazy. So, I did and I had a very good run,” she explained.

“I am really happy with my skiing. It’s just at the end, letting it go a little bit too much too soon and then you don’t make it. It’s such short distance between the gates and you can’t make an error like that. Of course, I know that and I did it any way. I am happy with the run.”
——————-

wolcoma

Getting on the lift
Skier
I see in SR Media today Mikaela has decided to skip the downhill and Super- G to focus on the GS and Slalom at World Champs. Probably a good decision on her part not to get over her head with too many events. Personally I can't imagine trying to ski GS and Slalom after the exhaustion of training and racing downhill and Super G......................JMHO. Go USST!

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
I see in SR Media today Mikaela has decided to skip the downhill and Super- G to focus on the GS and Slalom at World Champs. Probably a good decision on her part not to get over her head with too many events. Personally I can't imagine trying to ski GS and Slalom after the exhaustion of training and racing downhill and Super G......................JMHO. Go USST!
Where did you see that she is not doing the Super G?
She is on the Start list.

Last edited:

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January