• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
The Jimmy Fallon thing….I’m not a big fan of late night talk show entertainment tv, (but then late night is a lot earlier for me than it used to be). It just struck me as being so contrived - really, he’s a huge fan, but knew nothing about the reindeer ? If he did know then that bit was manufactured for “the show” - the whole thing seemed so superficial. The interviews after the races were way more interesting and to me she seemed different here.
This is the thing I worry about - the double edge sword of recognition by the soul sucking media.
I agree that late night TV is not great, although he is probably the least offensive. She has been on his show before and I am pretty sure his family does ski. Since he does ski could he have been a little star struck?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
You don't think talk shows are "prescripted" by a researcher beforehand who identifies the best anecdote to focus on in addition to the regular points of "what have you done/what are you plugging"? Fallon is one of the better hosts in his little boy lost/childish wonder "What? I have never heard that before" type schtick and of course his silliness. MS accounts for herself well, being neither so slick and scripted to look like walking talking media training nor rabbit in the spotlight, while clearly being comfortable letting a bit of her real personality through.

For a minority sports star talk shows and reality shows are the way they get a profile beyond the sport and build future media careers. I bet Moseley still gets more public recognition for celebrity ice skating than his Olympic Gold or sport busting SLC run (when he's not being heckled on West Face).

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
WTF are these ski? Where are the nose pickers? That’s scandalous! Or are these supposed to be her GS ski? Even more scandalous! We all know what 188 cm looks next to Mikaela. C’mon, WTF really!?! :geek: :nono:
In the video she said that they are not racing ski but for free skiing.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's the same as the sort of ski the podium men and women hold up: a ski handed to them for the winner's circle, that would be a near race ski most likely to be purchased by European on piste skiers, semi-imitating their hero or heroine's turns - and skis. Like kids playing cowboys and Indians here in the States at one time; or them throwing a football with a Tom Brady numbered football jersey top on. But you knew that. :)

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
You don't think talk shows are "prescripted" by a researcher beforehand who identifies the best anecdote to focus on in addition to the regular points of "what have you done/what are you plugging"?
Oh yeah. Every late-night talk show guest has a pre-interview with a producer. The interview mainly follows what was discussed in that pre-interview. Key points are written on a notecard that the host will periodically glance at. Mikaela acted like a little bit of a novice when she broke the fourth wall of late-night television and said "I think I know where you're going with this." Most guests maintain the fiction that they hadn't already talked about these things in the pre-interview. But that's okay. Craig Ferguson was famous for blowing the format up; he would symbolically tear up or throw out the notecard after introducing the guest. He had the talent to talk to guests and keep it entertaining. Probably one of the best ever at it.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Mikaela Shiffrin celebration for 87 wins in Vail right now...

20230402_161141.jpg

20230402_161119.jpg

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier

Just came across this old 60 minute piece.
Thought it crystalized a lot about the place her Dad ( at @40 seconds in ! ) and her Mom have in her success and her groundedness.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Is this real?
Check the date it was published.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A few days ago, or maybe last week, what does that tell me?

Ok, today it says April 1, I swear I read it last week and it had a date of March on it. I guess I got fooled. I believe it, mostly

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
but switching to ski for Norway would be exceedingly weird.
Realistically it's not possible, not that it might be weird. You can't switch country just like this, at least when it comes to racing. I mean if your old ski federation agrees, and gives permission, it can be done just like that, but for anyone but old racers, who have no perspective and chance for results, it's highly unlikely old federation will just say "sure no problem go on, here's our permission". Without permission it's few years break (not sure now if it's 2, 3 or 4) required, and only then you can start racing for new federation. That means two things... one, you are NOT racing anything for that time period. Not World cup, not European cup, not anything even remotely connected to FIS. Even FIS citizen races are out of question. And second, you start with no points, which means you first need to get enough points to even been able to start WC, and when finally on WC, you start with number 70.
So unless US ski federation would give her permission, it means it would realistically never be an option to race for different country.

Sponsor

Staff online