• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
The switch over was after the 2015 season.

That said: if there's a pair or two of skis that are still fast and have the older DualDeck cap construction they could still be in the mix. Atomic can re-skin them to look current.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't disagree. I guess I was trying to be protective of the women in this community. I'm sure many of us have seen mostly male forums drive women away with commentary and probably overreacted.

I’m guessing, from their attitudes, that the women here can take care of themselves ; )

Indeed. I hope no one thought I was suggesting otherwise.
Fun fact.
The average female readership for adventure activity websites tends to be between 6-7%, which is where EpicSki was back when I had access to those statistics.
SkiTalk started out strong with female readership back in the beginning with something like 12%, but in the past few years we've been more like 25% female readership. That is a testement to the general respectful tone on this site. Thank you all for that.

personally, I don't think it is appropriate to discuss anyone's physical appearance, whether male for female. We are a website about skiing, There are plenty of other websites focused on physical appearance.
I don't think saying "that's hot" is necessarily about physical appearance.
When someone says "Mikaela is hot" I take it to mean, "She's competitive, and a great role model"
Most women I spend time with feel the same.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
SkiTalk started out strong with female readership back in the beginning with something like 12%, but in the past few years we've been more like 25% female readership.

1701109130831.gif

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
personally, I don't think it is appropriate to discuss anyone's physical appearance, whether male for female. We are a website about skiing, There are plenty of other websites focused on physical appearance.

I actually agree with you Mike. To a degree. It would be way out of line to critique, especially negatively anyones appearance, here or anywhere. But her appearance is not the focus here, and the descriptive adjective ( maybe a little towards the edge - maybe call it an "edgective" ?) is being used in context of the entirety of her awesomeness.
In comparisons to most sites, everyone on this site is very respectful of each others feelings (outside of preferred skis...)

And besides, if we were not allowed to comment on physical features, how could I point out the blazing sunshine of this smile.

Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 8.32.23 AM.png

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I recall on Epicski there was a thread on "Julia Mancuso pic of the day" which was all about objectifying her looks, rather than a discussion of her skiing.

What we have going here is so much better.

That said, there may be a double standard, as we don't tend to talk about the men's WC skiers in terms of their hotness.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
I recall on Epicski there was a thread on "Julia Mancuso pic of the day" which was all about objectifying her looks, rather than a discussion of her skiing.

What we have going here is so much better.

That said, there may be a double standard, as we don't tend to talk about the men's WC skiers in terms of their hotness.
I am not ashamed to admit that I can see that men skiers are also hot.
And I am positive women also find them so.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fun fact.
The average female readership for adventure activity websites tends to be between 6-7%, which is where EpicSki was back when I had access to those statistics.
SkiTalk started out strong with female readership back in the beginning with something like 12%, but in the past few years we've been more like 25% female readership. That is a testement to the general respectful tone on this site. Thank you all for that.
That's awesome to hear. I really like seeing the growing overlap with the Ski Divas as well.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
:rolleyes:
Call me when this thread gets back on track & about the greatest “SKIER” of all time!
90 just sounds so hot!!!
View attachment 216739
Touché.

Two pages of 'hot' and no mention of 90th win, a podium in GS, leading the overall and SL.

On a slightly related note, I'm going to be at Copper for an Atomic sponsored: A Tour de Shred. A dealer demo day with Atomic athletes. I don't know if the focus is free-ride (given the name) or race. I may need to put a Sharpie in my pocket.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Two pages of 'hot' and no mention of 90th win, a podium in GS, leading the overall and SL.

And that is hot! Mikaela has the hot hand on the World Cup right now, especially in slalom.

Let's see how things progress with the first speed events coming up soon. If she continues to be able to produce in the speed events the overall title is likely - as is moving toward triple-digit wins.

(Of note: Shiffrin's 90th victory was also her 141st World Cup podium performance.)

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the issue is that for some folks of a certain generation, including me, the term "hot" is sexualized (as opposed to attractive or beautiful). That's what likely spurred the impulse to caution. If the meaning has changed to mean hot, like popular as opposed to just sexy, then there is no problem. I learned something.

Congratulations on keeping the site welcoming to female skiers. There are some terrific female contributors, as well as male, and the site is better for having them. And congratulations to the folks who did not get defensive or weird but were part of the conversation. SkiTalk in this thread is a role model for respectful dialogue over differing points of view. (Unless of course we are discussing the only proper technical way to make a turn.:P)

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Touché.

On a slightly related note, I'm going to be at Copper for an Atomic sponsored: A Tour de Shred. A dealer demo day with Atomic athletes. I don't know if the focus is free-ride (given the name) or race. I may need to put a Sharpie in my pocket.

sure hope it is more race focused. not much to ”shred” right now. I think you would love a run down Andy’s/oh no/Rosi’s on the right skis

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Don’t you think it would be a bit strange if we do that? I mean..modern times and all that but c’mon… :roflmao: :roflmao:
But what the heck, I am not judging…

1701150108185.gif

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
I did watch her final Killington run on TV, winning the event, her 90th. Yeah! Was very impressed with how smoothly and natural she was on camera thanking the industry and her fans for her reward as "2023 Skier of the Year". Maybe some day, she will dance with this old guy since I know dancing is also one of her a favorite activities as is mine.

Cat1210

Putting on skis
Skier
This is a great interview with Aleks Kilde (run it through google translate for the English version)…not sure exactly where it belongs, but he talks a lot about her so I’m going to put it here (plus I love the headline “Mikaela has already kicked my ass several times” ). He just seems like such a nice person.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Wendy
    Resurrecting the Oxford comma
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid