• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Lol.....Mom wouldn't let you in the same room, heck....building with her/let alone dance with her.

If you've never been around Eileen Shiffrin she is very much a person with whom you either get along or you're shown the door. Not a lot of in-between in the world she curates for her daughter.

LiquidFeet

lurking
Instructor
I'm just now catching up on what was going on in this thread a few pages back. Late to the party I guess, but I wanted to say my thoughts since it seems I'm in the minority. I'm responding to the use of "hot" in this thread when discussing Mikaela.
Maybe let's forget about what Mikaela would think and focus on what our female SkiTalk members would think? There's a fine line between stating a fact about someone's looks and objectifying them. Just a thought.
Bringing up the attractiveness of athletes on an internet site - especially about a female on a site with significantly more men than women participants, like this one - quickly can make things feel chauvinistic, leering, inappropriate, "locker room"y, etc. And also make things feel unwelcoming or hostile to some other commenters. Better to keep comments to the athletic skills of the competitors.

That said, there's some context that matters too... a basic discussion of why an athlete is successful in advertising, say, would be fine to say you think their attractiveness matters for their advertising success. But comments like "I see so-and-so won today... they're talented, and they're so hot!" is not typically appropriate on a forum, IMO.
I find the use of hot/hotness offensive. In the context of this discussion, "hot" does not equate to "attractive." Calling Mikaela "hot" implies sexual desires felt by the user of the term. Attractive does not.

People are going to feel that other people are "hot." That's life. Pointing this feeling out in a conversation about someone's athletic performance is like thread drift. It calls attention to sensations felt by the the person who uses the word. When readers interpret "hot" as a compliment about Mikaela, they are allowing the conversation to drift from athletic prowess in a competitive sport to something else.

I find the term demeaning in the specific context of this thread. Mildly so, but still .....

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Pointing this feeling out in a conversation about someone's athletic performance is like thread drift.
I agree, so let’s quit drifting.
Maybe that topic deserves its own thread but it is certainly mucking this one up!
Ms. Shiffrin just won her 90th World Cup race for chrisakes!
GOAT!!
IMG_3815.png

• 17 global medals. ...
  • 6 consecutive World Championships winning gold (2013–2023). ...
  • 90 World Cup wins. ...
  • 35.4 percent. ...
  • 141 World Cup podiums. ...
  • 13 seasons. ...
  • 15 Globes. ...
  • 55 World Cup slalom wins.
  • & the list goes on…

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
The commentators mentioned she has more world cup slalom wins than the total of all wins shared by all other active female skiers in all disciplines?

They also mentioned it was going to become harder to construct more statistical milestones for her to cross...
I was just about to unsubscribe from this thread but maybe your post will get us back on track. Thanks!
As far as milestones go I think 100 will be a good one!

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
And she now seems to be starting to train more towards speed events (?)….
Truly - barring injury or kids, the sky is the limit

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
It is really remarkable how she has been able to maintain her focus. I don't think it is that she is endowed with physical traits that separate her from her competitors. I suspect that the long route she took to starting to race, where her coaches worked on developing her athleticism, along with her remarkable ability to keep her focus on ski racing, is what separates her from everyone (men and women alike).

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well now, hopefully we've got back on track after several pages of "what is hot?" and can move on. Mikaela is obviously a hugely talented, well spoken, and humble young lady. Let's keep it about that instead of how she looks, shall we? The only mention of hot from here on out should be how hot her skiing is right now.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
It is really remarkable how she has been able to maintain her focus. I don't think it is that she is endowed with physical traits that separate her from her competitors. I suspect that the long route she took to starting to race, where her coaches worked on developing her athleticism, along with her remarkable ability to keep her focus on ski racing, is what separates her from everyone (men and women alike).

I think even more - her ability to focus on TRAINING, and as he has said, trying to perfect even the most basic of those exercises and off season workouts.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
The commentators mentioned she has more world cup slalom wins than the total of all wins shared by all other active female skiers in all disciplines?
No.
Shiffrin = 55 SL wins
Gut-Behrami = 39 world cup wins
Vlhova = 29 world cup wins

Many other people also have wins...

I think she has more world cup SL wins than any other active *individual* has total world cup wins

Edit: perhaps she has more world cup SL wins than the total of all world cup wins for other competitors in the Killington SL field. I'd believe that.

Last edited:

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I think even more - her ability to focus on TRAINING, and as he has said, trying to perfect even the most basic of those exercises and off season workouts.
If you listen to the Sasha Rearick podcast conducted by Tom Gellie, you might think that the purpose of training is to develop athleticism...

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
One of the USST PR folk said that 100 is definitely on their radar right now.

And they have every reason to be optimistic, though we've yet to see how the speed folk stack up. LGB may have the golden ticket for SG this season. Goggia will be competitive in SG and DH.

Shiffrin will hand pick her speed events. She won't race them all - not surprising as she has her comfort zone and knows that the season is a marathon and not a sprint. Skipping a speed weekend here and there to focus on GS and SL will always be her MO as long as she is racing (and healthy enough to be quick in the SL gates, at least).

So is getting 10 more wins the season feasible? Sure. Is it likely? We shall see - I know that Vlhova, LGB, Hector, Liensberger (as long as she keeps improving), and Forza Italia will try their best to stand in her way. So will Moltzan - you never know...

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
She certainly has the ability and skills to get 100 WC wins, but there's also luck and being a squinch off line on a race course at speed can do serious damage to a season, or even end a career. An amazing skier and person.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
I thought Killington would be a big tell. She was admittedly sub-par and lower confidence due to the slight injury and lack of training time. And you could sense Vlhova and Duerr were ready to challenge and showed it in the first races.
But M still managed a win due to Petra feeling that she had to go 10/10's all the way in Levi
And now, after the win in Killington, after Petra put in such a great run...
Every time you start to think she has come down a notch or the other women have caught up she just seems to show her class.

Won't take much to slow her down though, a slight injury, the margins are so fine, not sure she can make it this year...
But figure if she remains healthy:
2 more, maybe 3 ? slalom wins with 7 to go
2 GS ( 9 left on the schedule )
2 Super G ...? not sure, maybe 1, maybe 3 since she's been working on speed.
1, or 2 DH if she gains confidence there and the schedule fits - there are 10 scheduled

Also wouldn't surprise me if she wins 15 races, or more - she is off the charts.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Moderator edit: The conversation of Hot got too far off track and started to get offensive.

IYKYK!
Please be respectful.

Sponsor

Staff online