• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
IMO, this bears watching. Consider that it is a bit filtered. Essentially the same article is making it's way through the mainstream press today.
I would also ignore the comments on the SR site. A great number of people thing that they "know" Mikaela. They do NOT, they follow her public image.
Complex young lady, and very close to a complex mom. Some of us have known her since she was a young kid, a toddler.

There was much talk a year ago about how long she would continue with her career, long before losing her grandmother....let alone her dad's tragic accident and death. She feels like she has gained a tremendous amount from her experience and career, evidently. But she also has missed much of what her peers have experienced. Something as simple a college. Maybe playing a team sport like soccer, or tennis. Study Liberal Arts: music, art, English. So there was some quiet speculation as to whether she would ski though the 2026 OWG's, or maybe the 2022 games?

Nothing will surprise me, but I'll be surprised if she just plugs right back in, and "enjoys this." I imagine that her sponsors are leaning on her agent, Kili, to have her ski. Could be that he'll push back to have her take the entire season off, after Soelden and Levi.....if she actually starts both.

She's been doing this for all of her young adult life. We'll see. I think this is very tough. But I do not know.

James

Out There
Instructor
Wouldn’t it be possible to set up more of a base in Europe? Maybe get a house? I suppose it’s tough cause other than her mother, who can come stay there for awhile. So, with no one at or near the base it’s not that different.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I imagine that her sponsors are leaning on her agent, Kili, to have her ski. Could be that he'll push back to have her take the entire season off, after Soelden and Levi.....if she actually starts both.

She's been doing this for all of her young adult life. We'll see. I think this is very tough. But I do not know.

If there is a season to sit out it's probably this one. Cos Europe could be a shitshow with all sorts of travel snarlups But then prep for the Olympic cycle (assuming a 2022 WO of course) means she's probably be having to train anyway pretty much surely? So is a walk away for good decision?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I don't know Shiffrin so I can only speculate. Seems like at the age of 25 it would be difficult to give up & turn off something that you have dedicated so much effort to, especially if you are on the top. I wonder if "resiliency" is at the forefront of her mind right now or if the campaign is a self motivator. It will take time to know for sure, a few races to settle in or a strong showing in Solden could be an important key to the future. She has been in the thick of it & at the top for a long time. She wouldn't be the first successful racer to retire in her 20's.
2020 has been a game changer for everyone, hope she hangs in there!

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Shiffy is sitting out Solden due to “tweaked back”. Hope she is ok, long term. If anyone needed to nail that race and get in a groove it was MS.

Very disappointing as I have so little going due to COVID.

4ster

Instructor
Shiffy is sitting out Solden due to “tweaked back”. Hope she is ok, long term. If anyone needed to nail that race and get in a groove it was MS.

Very disappointing as I have so little going due to COVID.
:(
Nothing to add except that we fans needed it too. Hope she heals quickly.
For us GS will still be exciting to watch! I’m not sure I would say the same if it was SL.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Don’t have insight at all in team Shiffrin, but word on the street is that she’s had some back issues previous seasons too, on and off. Not unusual on the WC, but might be a smart move to quit now and live a healthy life—unless she still think ski racing is the funnest thing one can do (keeping your clothes on).

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Don’t have insight at all in team Shiffrin, but word on the street is that she’s had some back issues previous seasons too, on and off. Not unusual on the WC, but might be a smart move to quit now and live a healthy life—unless she still think ski racing is the funnest thing one can do (keeping your clothes on).
new physio this year as well; her previous physio from the last few seasons is back working in VT

fatbob

Not responding
Skier

I did think about that angle and whether she's had any eye on Vonn and Mancuso, which would have caused her to note that being crippled for life may not be the way she wants to go out. Many variables in a retirement decision particularly when you're still young enough to have the entire spectrum of regular opportunties available to you (college, med school, biz school etc) as well as those afforded to you by your sport/celebrity.

Muleski

Inactive
I believe that there are a lot of moving parts to MS's season and future right now. I had not heard about any back issues. My overall "guess" is that it's been a very lousy last year for her, beginning with the loss of her grandmother a year ago, and continuing on with her dad's death, COVID-19, etc. Things should be a bit more clear by Levi, I assume. Many changes {most presumed temporary} to her team that made for a very different off season. Not sure how great her on snow blocks at Copper and Hood actually were. Wishing her the best. If she were my daughter, I might suggest sitting out a year, for a number of reasons, and re evaluating things. Not impossible, IMO. We'll see.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
My guess also is that her strategy for 20-21 is to get her slalom back to dominating form and build from that platform into other events...since Solden is a GS it doesn't quite fit the strategy. Focus on Levi, Semmering, and first half of January. When she leaves Flauchau, she (we) should know where she stands and may dictate her strategy for balance of 2021.

4ster

Instructor
^^^^Good comments above.
I am assuming she (Shiffrin) is in Solden now so I have to think the back thing is real. Solden can be a tough place for the women to begin the season but she has had some good results there. As Muleski mentions she may not have had the type of training she expects or needs at Hood & no South America, I am sure she is behind in this respect compared to the euros. Seems like everything I have seen this summer has been great conditions on the glaciers of the alps, even some winter conditions at times & lots of training.
I would rather see her strong for SL than race a 1/2 assed GS.

Muleski

Inactive
She'll be sleeping at home in Edwards, CO, tonight, I believe.

BTW, the woman with the MOST and best training has been Alice Robinson. Not even a close second. She had the Southern Hemisphere to herself, quite literally. Then was off primarily to Saas Fee. Fully dialed in with her setup and skiing, I hear...from a source very close to both of us. She was advised, not just from her very strong coaching team, but from others, that this was setting up as a unique opportunity/season for her. Don't waste it! All in on Alice.

Agree that a screwed up year to get her SL dominant again might be a good move, and obviously Moose has looked at the details of the calendar, with respect to SL.

I just do not know what to think about MS's situation right now. If I learn more, that I can post, I will.

Last edited:

4ster

Instructor

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I'm in the camp that says, given what kind of year personally for Shiffrin that she has had and with the Covid thing, taking a year off might be the best course of action.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I believe that there are a lot of moving parts to MS's season and future right now. I had not heard about any back issues. My overall "guess" is that it's been a very lousy last year for her, beginning with the loss of her grandmother a year ago, and continuing on with her dad's death, COVID-19, etc. Things should be a bit more clear by Levi, I assume. Many changes {most presumed temporary} to her team that made for a very different off season. Not sure how great her on snow blocks at Copper and Hood actually were. Wishing her the best. If she were my daughter, I might suggest sitting out a year, for a number of reasons, and re evaluating things. Not impossible, IMO. We'll see.

She looked very solid at Hood, but very very serious. Just figured that's how she rolls.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
25 years old. A reigning queen of the ski world. Amazing work ethics and very trainable. Loved and admired by pretty much everyone. Lives in Vail. Articulate. Cute as a bug. Talented and smart.

I wonder what Vail Resorts would give to have her as their public face and representative?
Just a thought.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
25 years old. A reigning queen of the ski world. Amazing work ethics and very trainable. Loved and admired by pretty much everyone. Lives in Vail. Articulate. Cute as a bug. Talented and smart.

I wonder what Vail Resorts would give to have her as their public face and representative?
Just a thought.
Isn't Lindsay Vonn already the Vail PR person?

Then there is nearby Copper Mtn that is part of Ikon and where the WC racers train when they come to N.A.

Muleski

Inactive
Mikaela S is the face of Alterra/Ikon, despite living in the Vail Valley, etc.
She and her family are VERY close friends with the guy who put together Alterra, and his family, also long term Vail residents, connected to the USST and SSCV.

So, Vail had a chance pre-Alterra.

Muleski

Inactive
She looked very solid at Hood, but very very serious. Just figured that's how she rolls.

That's good to hear. And, yeah, not what made it's way to me. No matter. She admits it was a far less than great training block. Weather, surface, smoke.....COVID. That's in the rear view mirror. Training and drilling is always serious for her, from my observations. Always with a purpose.....

Sponsor

Staff online