• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Interesting day. Great result for M. You never know who is actually doing the posting on an athlete’s social media, but my understanding is that in this case it is most often Mikaela.

So, I watched her ski, I watched her reaction, those of competitors, teammates, coaches, friends, family, USST folks. Overwhelming emotional outpouring of support. And I agree, she probably DID need this. It’s great.

I felt badly for her that she even had to face one microphone for an interview. She was understandably a mess. However, she did clearly state that she was 95% sure that she could not do this. She had enormous doubts, and such.

A couple of hours later, she’s on IG, and as posted above is calling out any and all of us who have doubted where her head, and training has been. She’s calling out a LOT of the top level ski racing community. Not posters on here, and casual fans. Right after saying she had huge doubts.

The USSS, and USST have reposted it, when MANY of their own leadership have had concerns! As in “Was not us. Nope.”

She’s been through a huge loss, and I thibk we all have our own timetables. When I hear somebody interested in the sport, but not really in tune with this, say “Get over it. We all lose parents at some point,” I point out that they likely have no exposure to this athlete and this family. Very small, very tight.

I hope this gives them all a nice lift. Still will not surprise me to see her making pancakes in her home in Edwards later in the week. That would be fine, IMO.

I’m not taking this as “she’s back...”, and that we’re going to see her race even every SL and GS. We may. I don’t think it’s guaranteed. I think the big prize for her, this season, would be a gold at the FISWC’s....in either SL, GS....or possibly both.

Today had to take a log of pressure off her back. Never been about her ability on the hill. She is the best ever, and this field is not that deep, and not great. When a couple go out, even thinner.

I think it was a special day. Lot of healing. And it also shows that for to really go hammer down over the others, she is best served by a rock hard surface, and the right terrain.

She may not need as much training, and “drilling” as she, her mother and coaches have always built into her program.

I’m betting on seeing her home, and getting more dialed in at AVSC’s venue at Aspen Highlands, fairly soon. No inside scoop. Just a hunch.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I get FIS ski racing on a channel on my YOUTUBE TV. I watched a GS race in Courchevel over the weekend and Mikaela did not win. It was snowing very heavily and MS came in 4th. The announcer said they will race again tomorrow and hoped the weather is better. Can someone explain about the 2 races?? Is one a prelim and the other count towards FIS points?? Or is there just two races with 2 runs each?
Scott, you can see the schedule, results, and all the planned races here:

Where it says "2xGS" that means 2 GS races that weekend. Since downhill training is included, if it says "3xDH" that means 2 training runs and a race. If it says "4xDH" or "5xDH" that means two races with associated training runs. You can click each venue line to see all those details.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Compared to the past couple of races (which BTW were not too shabby) Shiffrin really went after it today. You could see her attitude in her stance. No apprehension, no defensive body language, very little stivot. Must’ve been doing this one for dad & a little sunshine is good for the soul.

Did any of you leave the Peacock feed running with the volume on after the initial podium announcement till the medal ceremony while they were showing highlights. Whether she was doing an interview or just talking with friends or other racers, I am almost sure it was Shiffrin speaking freely in the background the whole time like a happy winner should. Not certain on that but pretty sure. It was good to hear. ogsmile

James

Out There
Instructor
Pretty neat!
A couple of hours later, she’s on IG, and as posted above is calling out any and all of us who have doubted where her head, and training has been. She’s calling out a LOT of the top level ski racing community. Not posters on here, and casual fans. Right after saying she had huge doubts.
Yeah I don’t get it - is she saying she was unsupported in the comeback? Any truth to that? Call me dubious.

So I guess we should head to Thunder Bowl on Ajax to see her train?

Muleski

Inactive
She trains at the Stapleton Training Center, AVSC’s private venue at Highlands. The team rents the venue for her private use, and they close it down to everybody else. Generally has it for 2+ hours. Considered by most to be thr best tech training venue in CO. They have their own venue manager, groomers, snowmakers, etc.

Her “support”....yeah, pretty extensive. But have many in the sport, and even connected to her, wondered where her head has been and what this season might yield? Sure. She’s had a lot to overcome. And, yes, a lot if high level folks were seriously wondering if she might retire back in August and September. Or take the season off. Legit and concerned questions. A lot of chatter about the “back injury”, for example.

Whatever....she proved a lot today. Mostly to herself. Great stuff. As I have said, I think she should race as much or as little as she wants this year, then take stock of things late spring and hopefully come back full force in 2021-2022.

Just my thinking........

James

Out There
Instructor
Yes, if you want to... but one mountain over... Thunder Bowl is at Highlands, with Golden Horn.
That’s what I meant... :ogcool:
It’s a pretty wide trail esp if you open up the race training area on skier’s right. with some features that can suck you in.
She trains at the Stapleton Training Center, AVSC’s private venue at Highlands.
Is that not on Thunder Bowl where that lift comes out of the high school?
Bob Barnes posted video of Austrian wcup skiers training in 2015 I think.

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
It was great to see her ski smooth as butter. Podium reaction was heart-wrenching. Poor thing, she is still grieving. My heart goes out to her.

Muleski

Inactive
Yep, Golden Horn and Thunderbowl.
Base of the lift is right at the AVSC Clubhouse which is next to the High School. They have GREATLY improved snowmaking capacity there. It’s a great training venue. Norwegian men love it....in “normal years.”

And, as we have seen, Vail locals like MS and LV have preferred it to SSCV’s setup at Golf Peak in Vail. Not that it’s anything to sneeze at.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
...but it's a shame to see that Vlhova and Bassino and Robinson skied out.
831AB51E-1CA6-480E-BBBF-33266E0B030F.gif

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
She’s been through a huge loss, and I thibk we all have our own timetables. When I hear somebody interested in the sport, but not really in tune with this, say “Get over it. We all lose parents at some point,” I point out that they likely have no exposure to this athlete and this family.
Completely off topic, but still... Zan Kranjec just had almost exactly same experience last week. His father died last week on almost identical way as Shiffrin's father. Kranjec father was working as roofer (if that's right word) and fell of the roof during work last week and died.

scott43

Skier
Completely off topic, but still... Zan Kranjec just had almost exactly same experience last week. His father died last week on almost identical way as Shiffrin's father. Kranjec father was working as roofer (if that's right word) and fell of the roof during work last week and died.
That's terrible. Construction is a very dangerous business.

Sherman89

Booting up
Skier
Her post-race interview by the FIS media person was tough to watch. MS was bawling, Eileen swooped in to comfort her. It wasn’t much of an interview in the end, more of a “great to have you back” reassurance as MS couldn’t really string words together.
Us mere mortals' have no idea the amount of work and effort that goes into being a top WC skier and then there is Mikalea Shiffrin who is another class by herself with 68 WC wins behind her. To come back from last year's tragedy and get back on her skis this fall and 3 races later she goes from 2nd to first Mikalea is back. Let's see how many more trophy's she takes home.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Yep, Golden Horn and Thunderbowl.
Base of the lift is right at the AVSC Clubhouse which is next to the High School. They have GREATLY improved snowmaking capacity there. It’s a great training venue. Norwegian men love it....in “normal years.”

And, as we have seen, Vail locals like MS and LV have preferred it to SSCV’s setup at Golf Peak in Vail. Not that it’s anything to sneeze at.
A slight set of corrections. The high school lift is separate from the training center. The training center is on the Aspen Highlands runs of Golden Horn and Thunderbowl as stated. The lift used is the Highlands Thunderbowl lift. When Mikeala was training last winter, she had her own personal GS set, but half of Golden Horn and Thunderbowl was open to the public. We watched her warm up and ski -- impressive!

Mike

Sponsor

Staff online