• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yep, Golden Horn and Thunderbowl.
Base of the lift is right at the AVSC Clubhouse which is next to the High School. They have GREATLY improved snowmaking capacity there. It’s a great training venue. Norwegian men love it....in “normal years.”

And, as we have seen, Vail locals like MS and LV have preferred it to SSCV’s setup at Golf Peak in Vail. Not that it’s anything to sneeze at.
Never have seen the Stapleton Training Center, but if it’s superior to the Vail Golden Peak facility it must be really really good. On the Highlands Trail Map they are shading this area Blue Slope which I found curious.
The steepest pitch at the Vail Golden Peak race area looks like it has a double fall line??Wonder if that’s a negative.
Anyway I am on that lift at Vail quite a bit when I am out there because I ski Riva Tourist Trap a lot and ride the chairs instead of the Gondi .
Enjoy watching the kids run gates.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
On the Highlands Trail Map they are shading this area Blue Slope which I found curious.
Between Golden Horn/Thunderbowl at Highlands, and Golden Peak Race at Vail, the steepness is similar. Both top out in the mid-20 degrees range with much of it in the teens. Any difference in color rating is down to the whims of the resort and how they judge the actual run. I know there are other factors, but just looking at the steepness I have trouble thinking that Golden Peak Race is a black for any reason other than it being the race course.

Last edited:

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Between Golden Horn/Thunderbowl at Highlands, and Golden Peak Race at Vail, the steepness is similar. Both top out in the mid-20 degrees range with much of it in the teens. Any difference in color rating is down to the whims of the resort and how they judge the actual run. I know there are other factors, but just looking at the steepness I have trouble thinking that Golden Peak Race is a black for any reason other than it being the race course.
CalTopo puts Thunderbowl at 32-34 degrees. Golden Horn is not as steep. But if you like wide open, full throttle groomers it doesn't get much better than Golden Horn to Thunderbowl. Super wide, lots of vert, direct. It's why it is such a great training slope. And it is a homologated FIS slope for GS, SL, and SG.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
CalTopo puts Thunderbowl at 32-34 degrees. Golden Horn is not as steep. But if you like wide open, full throttle groomers it doesn't get much better than Golden Horn to Thunderbowl. Super wide, lots of vert, direct. It's why it is such a great training slope. And it is a homologated FIS slope for GS, SL, and SG.
I think that would be Powder Bowl, right next to thunderbowl, at that slope. Tracing Thunder Bowl on Caltopo gives me a max slope of 26 degrees.

1610410088438.png

FATMAP agrees:

1610410212929.png

I've skied Thunderbowl too... 30 degrees sounds too steep.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
View attachment 135819
Her left shin doesn’t match the right!

The left has ‘USA’ on it.
Otherwise, if she keeps that going, she’ll do very well. Looks amazing.
Yeah, sometimes I wonder when people say you cannot tell much from a still photo. When I look at these it tells me that I am looking at someone exceptional & in perfect balance!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Copper has been offering a lot of training this late spring/almost summer. The other campers are getting to see the best as she has her own lane.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
She could total rip that on 118's.

( :) )

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
If she was on 118s she'd still be in the air!

Totally! She should just soooooooo air it out. :)

( I hope everyone knows I'm kidding. )

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I like the air shot but she’d be faster if she tucked her head down between her knees ;).

I think this one is my favorite of the series but they all show someone who exudes confidence, calm & aggression... Tight but loose!!!
6FAE3779-6FDA-4EF9-A3E6-82A84EF1ABC7.jpeg

I have a feeling that the next & upcoming chapter of Mikaela will be a great one!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I like the air shot but she’d be faster if she tucked her head down between her knees ;).

I think this one is my favorite of the series but they all show someone who exudes confidence, calm & aggression... Tight but loose!!!
View attachment 135862

I have a feeling that the next & upcoming chapter of Mikaela will be a great one!
I know you jest, but I could tell you a story about lowering your head in a speed event.

Sponsor

Staff online