• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

James

Out There
Instructor
I tried to get coskigirl to go in the singles line on Lenawee to share their chair. She declined, so some random oblivious guy went up with them in the chair ahead of us. (I have a photo of that tooogsmile)

Doug Briggs had a much too close encounter at speed and a trail merge down at the bottom. Had no idea who it was.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I tried to get coskigirl to go in the singles line on Lenawee to share their chair. She declined, so some random oblivious guy went up with them in the chair ahead of us. (I have a photo of that tooogsmile)

Doug Briggs had a much too close encounter at speed and a trail merge down at the bottom. Had no idea who it was.
It is easy to miss a celebrity when they have a helmet, goggles, and a buff on. Makes it very difficult to see who is behind all the gear.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In the vids ...Ummm??? Where's the rest of the Team? :popcorn:

I used to see the Mogul Team training and it was always as a Team. They even let us on their course but we never crowded them like the pple in that first video. We were "Chill". They even let us ski their course! They were so Cool about hanging even hiked the peaks w/ some. I've NEVER seen anybody eat THAT MUCH FOOD during lunch!!! I thought I was gonna hurl just watching! :geek: LMAO

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Maybe we should have some context……like how long ago was that? What they were doing, etc. That’s a long time ago. Was that about at the time when Team Shiffrin was formed? That was late spring/summer 2016……after a training block at then Squaw. And a “strong demand and directive” from Mom.

I think this might be a year later? 2017. When, yeah she was a team of one. Hard to believe that Mike Day has been with her since July 2016. Wow.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Maybe we should have some context……like how long ago was that? What they were doing, etc. That’s a long time ago. Was that about at the time when Team Shiffrin was formed? That was late spring/summer 2016……after a training block at then Squaw. And a “strong demand and directive” from Mom.

I think this might be a year later? 2017. When, yeah she was a team of one. Hard to believe that Mike Day has been with her since July 2016. Wow.
Long time... 00' - 02' ... and yes times, sports, population densities, and phones have changed drastically. Much more mellow themes back then but the theme of "Team of One" is, let's say complicated... I'll leave that discussion to those like @Muleski that are much more familiar and versed in the current trends in ski team dynamics. My "Poser" status confirmed and badge worn w/ pride w/in this arena!

My buds later actually had to tell me that at one point, we were talking and hiking up w/ Johnny Moseley. I had no idea at the time as I was too busy sucking wind trying to keep up!!! :huh:The six of us were "The Locals" (including Jay who ended up doing a stint as Town Mgr over at Telluride... don't know if he's still there) and he was killin' us but we were determined not to get pimped at the top by "Outsiders" ! .... :beercheer:

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
It is easy to miss a celebrity when they have a helmet, goggles, and a buff on. Makes it very difficult to see who is behind all the gear.
We had no trouble spotting her. We probably had a tip off that she was on site, at which point it’s pretty easy to hone in and pick her out.
Pretty limited terrain and equipment choice. It’s not like she’d be off in the trees and bumps on fat skis skiing Pallavicini. Now if that was the case, true stalking and video would happen because that would really be a Bigfoot sighting.

Btw, most people could care less. Even in our group, there was pausing to watch when convenient, but not altering of plans. “Ok, now where?” Didn’t include following Mikaela.

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
I know this is purely speculation, but, barring any significant injury (especially her back), how long do you anticipate that Mikaela will continue racing? (She just turned 27.) In 2 seasons, she could comfortably break Ingemar Stenmark's record.

Retired
  • Lindsey Vonn, 34
  • Tina Maze, 33
  • Anna Veith, 30
  • Maria Höfl-Riesch, 29
Active
  • Tessa Worley, 32
  • Federica Brignone, 31
  • Lara Gut-Behrami, 30
  • Sofia Goggia, 29
  • Petra Vlhová, 26

James

Out There
Instructor
Posted this in the wrong thread-

how long do you anticipate that Mikaela will continue racing?
No idea!
I’m comfortable thinking she’ll race next year and maybe one more. Will she still be racing when the 2026 Olympics roll around? I’d say the odds plummet, but who knows. We really have nothing to go on.

I can’t see her leaving at 29 and coming back like Hirscher maybe is.

Ash Barty is walking away from tennis at 26.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Next World Champs & WC then done. Ash Barty's move will resonate in other sports. Why hold on for another Olympic cycle just to go through the pain again just so NBC has a shot at a redemption story?

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Posted this in the wrong thread-

No idea!
I’m comfortable thinking she’ll race next year and maybe one more. Will she still be racing when the 2026 Olympics roll around? I’d say the odds plummet, but who knows. We really have nothing to go on.

I can’t see her leaving at 29 and coming back like Hirscher maybe is.

Ash Barty is walking away from tennis at 26.
Ash Barty is 25, ranked No. 1 and her last outing was winning the Australian Open. That's an incredible move, and one I really admire.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
I have always attributed the Attacking Vikings culture to Claus Ryste. I know he is a director (not a coach) but is pretty hands-on, travels with team, and seems to have put all the pieces in place. In particular having older guys around to show the "Viking way" and create/enforce the culture. Spent time with him in Aspen and Kitz - always has time to tell you his views and what he hears coming through the radio from the hill. Claus seems to be stepping back (not traveling as much) the last couple years but certainly has done a great job with the Attacking Vikings over the past decade.

View attachment 163563
Also hear he does a great Christopher Cross impersonation. "Well, it's not far down to paradise. At least it's not for me..." ogsmile
Norway also seems to like Ryste also. Just extended him as Alpine Director until 2027.
Article says Narvik Norway may get Alpine World Championships in 2027. That would be great - although would prefer to go there to see a World Cup Finals week.

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I don’t think this has been posted? If it has mods can please remove or let me know & I will delete.
5 part series…

Sponsor

Staff online