• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Don’t you need to subscribe?
Ooops, apparently yes. I guess it was only a trailer l was seeing on Facebook.

On another note it appears she is testing skis…

but I guess you have to watch on Facebook :huh: :doh: :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Lol, had no idea actually! It said Reiteralm Berbahnen on the post so I looked it up.
So is that part of a Schladming skiing ticket?
HaHa! Could have fooled me.
I'm pretty sure that any day or multi day ticket cover the whole region. I could, obviously be completely wrong as well!! I've only been there twice and I was literally handed a pass.....so, dunno.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lol, had no idea actually! It said Reiteralm Berbahnen on the post so I looked it up.
So is that part of a Schladming skiing ticket?
A day ticket includes everything local to Schladming. If you want multiple days on one ticket, you can ski in/have to pay for 27 resorts.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Maybe we should have some context……like how long ago was that? What they were doing, etc. That’s a long time ago. Was that about at the time when Team Shiffrin was formed? That was late spring/summer 2016……after a training block at then Squaw. And a “strong demand and directive” from Mom.

I think this might be a year later? 2017. When, yeah she was a team of one. Hard to believe that Mike Day has been with her since July 2016. Wow.
It was not uncommon for us to bump into Mikaela while skiing the first and second week of May at Loveland and A-Basin.
As I'm sure your ski coaching kids could confirm that she and her mom do a bit of training during that time, no team in tow.
This is 2017
2017 Phil and Mikaela.jpg

This one is a few years earlier.
I remember @Don Denver said to Mikaela, "Wow you're lucky to get your picture taken with Phil. Do you know who he is?"
:roflmao:
Mikaela Phil Luv.jpg

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
@Tricia, Great pics!

I think the days of these photo ops, and Mikaela just out for a free ski with Eileen on a trail and lift open to the public are likely largely over. I hear that when she does want to give it a shot, it's almost always at Aspen, where SkiCo and AVSC in particular work to respect her and accommodate her. It hear that it's very hard to blend in anymore at Vail or BC. And it's not for a lot of runs.

Yes, she used to get essentially a private trail, for a few hours at a time, at Loveland. I don't believe that they do it anymore. Her coach at the time split his time between Boulder and Vail. And obviously based on the "pics or it didn't happen" proof, that used to enjoy some mom-daughter runs at A-Basin. I wonder when they last did that? Pre-Covid for sure., I think.

Aspen is all closed, I think, so who knows? Maybe with a mask, and no signage! The mask for disguise and....to make the point that even pre-COVID they were what most would call germaphobes. Probably not too eager to be out and about. My hunch is that she's probably soon to head for a warm beach and couple of months of rest.

All of these recent video shoots of her and AAK are of them testing skis in Austria, on very, very private hill space right now. No lifts at times. No public. Get the work done, then let's break camp.

Yeah, 5-6 years ago is just a long time in her career. So much has changed and evolved. Not always sure that folks grasp how important her privacy now is to her. She probably declines a lot of pics. I do know that she is very accommodating to kids, particularly little racers. Seems to love that group. When she is at AVSC, a bunch of pics.

Don't lose YOUR pics on your harddrive!

PS. My favorite NanoPuff of all time was a twin of @Philpug's in that pic. I literally wore it out.. right through the elbows, cuffs. HaHa. Pretty much impossible to do. I'm always searching eBay for another!

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Even last Spring at Palisades they were out super early on Shirley Lake & then poof they were gone as soon as public showed up. Pre-covid you could at least watch some training from outside the fences.
6B3470BE-AEFD-47D8-BB0F-AFAE0BD97373.jpeg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia, Great pics!

I think the days of these photo ops, and Mikaela just out for a free ski with Eileen on a trail and lift open to the public are likely largely over. I hear that when she does want to give it a shot, it's almost always at Aspen, where SkiCo and AVSC in particular work to respect her and accommodate her. It hear that it's very hard to blend in anymore at Vail or BC. And it's not for a lot of runs.

Yes, she used to get essentially a private trail, for a few hours at a time, at Loveland. I don't believe that they do it anymore. Her coach at the time split his time between Boulder and Vail. And obviously based on the "pics or it didn't happen" proof, that used to enjoy some mom-daughter runs at A-Basin. I wonder when they last did that? Pre-Covid for sure., I think.

Aspenis all closed, I think, so who knows? Maybe with a mask, and no signage! The mask for disguise and....to make the point that even pre-COVID they were what most would call germaphobes. Probably not too eager to be out and about. My hunches that she's probably soon to head for a warm beach and couple of months of rest.

All of these recent video shoots of her and AAK are of them testing skis in Austria, on very, very private hill space. No lifts. No public. Get the work done, then let's break camp.

Yeah, 5-6 years ago is just a long time in her career. So much has changed and evolved. Not always sure that folks grasp how important her privacy now is to her. She probably declines a lot of pics. I do know that she is very accommodating to kids, particularly little racers. Seems to love that group. When she is at AVSC, a bunch of pics.

Don't lose YOUR pics on your harddrive!

PS. My favorite NanoPuff of all time was a twin of @Philpug's in that pic. I literally wore it out.. right through the elbows, cuffs. HaHa. Pretty much impossible to do. I'm always searching eBay for another!
At the time of the pic in 2017 Eileen was quite guarded about who could get close to MS. I was not present when the picture was taken, but the rumor is that Eileen was not amused, but Mikaela was cheerful and accomdating.

James

Out There
Instructor
Don’t forget the whole reason she won a gold medal in Sochi was taking a photo with Bob Peter’s wife at Abasin in late spring 2013. ogsmile As I remember it, they told her that, but likely they were viewed as agreeable nut jobs.

They’d had photos with many gold medal winners. Klammer, Strobl, Eberharter, Janica Kostelic, Phil Mahre, Picabo, Tommy Moe, Bode, Lindsey, and more I forget.

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It was not uncommon for us to bump into Mikaela while skiing the first and second week of May at Loveland and A-Basin.
As I'm sure your ski coaching kids could confirm that she and her mom do a bit of training during that time, no team in tow.
This is 2017
View attachment 167152
This one is a few years earlier.
I remember @Don Denver said to Mikaela, "Wow you're lucky to get your picture taken with Phil. Do you know who he is?"
:roflmao:
View attachment 167153

Well did she?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dave Petersen
    Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid