• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
It’s snowing in Rossland, and I am nursing a sore shoulder. The good news is that Mikaela Shiffrin tied Lindsay Vons’s WC record and moved ahead of Moser-Pröll and Tessa Worley with her 17th giant slalom win.

Charlier. Is is worth the 3.5 hr drive to come ski Red. Thinking of the new Hostel, I am 80 so no lift tic cost. Can I walk from hostel to lifts?

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Charlier. Is is worth the 3.5 hr drive to come ski Red. Thinking of the new Hostel, I am 80 so no lift tic cost. Can I walk from hostel to lifts?
Easy walk to the lifts from the hostel. I have not visited the hostel. If you are interested, I can do a 'walk thru" and send you photos and my thoughts. When might you drive up to Red? And what type of skiing (nice groomers, powder, off-piste) are you thinking about.

Yikes, my videos are timed out. How does this work and can I update the videos?

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Last edited:

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"I think that Shiffrin will win more than 100," Stenmark told Olympics.com earlier this season, "and it doesn't make me sad at all."

Exactly what I said in the other thread. She's still 27, means at least 3-4 more years at the absolute top of the sport. If she keeps motivated and injury free, 100+ is all but guaranteed.
And kudos to the great Stenmark-if one truly loves the sport they compete in, they should be proud if records are broken, means the sport evolves and new superstars are born. Good for the sport.

James

Out There
Instructor
At 100, Ed Drake is being given a t-shirt of Mikaela and Kilde in a heart by his podcast cohosts.

Of course they could be broken up by then, or other things could happen. Enjoy it while it lasts. Lindsey had to retire 4 short from Stenmark because her body gave out. But she did more speed and was older.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Mikaela Shiffrin took 1st place in an Alpine Ski World Cup women's slalom race on Saturday in Spindleruv Mlyn, Czech Republic.

Last edited:

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
It is mindboggling that someone can be consistently a second or so better that the rest of the world especially when she have a target on her back.
@Philpug - It is mindboggling. Shiffrin has more WC wins than Vlhová, Gut-Behrami, and Goggga combined. All three are outstanding athletes
P. Vlhová 27 WC 1st
S. Goggia 20 WC 1st
L. But-Behrami 36 WC 1st
M. Shiffrin 85 WC 1st

Last edited:

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ok I will just say it - I am crazy in LOVE with that woman !!! It’s not that she is such a great skier - or her competitive drive (without that sharpness or desperation that makes so many athletes insufferable). It is clear, as Kilde put it -she is just different, her love for skiing and desire to improve is unique and PURE. Her generosity of spirit and respect for her fellow athletes and fans and honesty with, je ne sais quoi- a wise innocence…I love the rapport she has with Kilde in the Norwegian You Tube piece…her sincere sensibility on larger issues and how she is able to be so visible on social media without being insufferable. I love her as a human being, the total package, the potential of what we can be, or at least aspire to be if we follow our best instincts. The antidote to all the BS and toxins in our society.
She makes me want to be a better human being. What’s not to love?

skiJ

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ok I will just say it - I am crazy in LOVE with that woman !!! It’s not that she is such a great skier - or her competitive drive (without that sharpness or desperation that makes so many athletes insufferable). It is clear, as Kilde put it -she is just different, her love for skiing and desire to improve is unique and PURE. Her generosity of spirit and respect for her fellow athletes and fans and honesty with, je ne sais quoi- a wise innocence…I love the rapport she has with Kilde in the Norwegian You Tube piece…her sincere sensibility on larger issues and how she is able to be so visible on social media without being insufferable. I love her as a human being, the total package, the potential of what we can be, or at least aspire to be if we follow our best instincts. The antidote to all the BS and toxins in our society.
She makes me want to be a better human being. What’s not to love?

someone else wrote a while back , that Vonn had made him proud to be from USofA , and
MS made him proud to be human .

I will never forget the Joy in her reaction to realizing she had the fastest run in last year's World Cup Finals Downhill (2022) -

That's why racer's race ! !!!

. . . and this season - wow. Just Wow ! !!!

Go ! get 'em ! Mikaela ! !!!

( And Thank you, A.Kilde ! )

This is why fans are fans !
count me in.

skiJ

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not today. :(

Sponsor