• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mike Marolt article | Preparing to ski Everest

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We met Mike and Steve Marolt when they were inducted into the US Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame. What an incredible duo they are!
Listeninig to the two of them talk about some of their expeditions was mezmerizing and often chilling.

IMG_7461.JPG

James

Out There
Instructor
Skiing the North Ridge in 2003 is pretty impressive. I’d like to hear more about it. Frankly, anything at those altitudes is impressive. It’s easy to be deluded by the false narrative over the last 25 yrs since Into Thin Air that “anyone” can do it for a price.

Afaik, they’d have to rappel the Second Step, which is about a 100 ft cliff. There’s also two other steps but smaller. It may be possible to descend the Third Step on skis. No idea.

But doing anything that requires such control above 8000m is really difficult. Another world. First off, you’re on the way down, so likely you’ve been climbing for 12 hours. It’s doubtful you’ve slept much in the last 48 hours, and many people can’t eat at high altitude. So you’re descending while physically exhausted, plus the altitude makes you dumb. Let’s just say it’s even easy for people who are experienced at altitude to make a mistake which can be fatal.

Rob and Kit DesLauriers “skied” the South ridge in 2006. They skied from the summit to the Hillary Step anyway. Back then, it was not possible to ski the Step as it’s like a 40ft rock cliff. They climbed down and proceeded to climb down to the Balcony I think, then ski to the South Col.( Camp IV) They then skied the Lhotse Face the next day, which is pretty insane. It’s 40-50 degrees and that day was basically boiler plate as the wind scours what avalanches remove.

After the earthquake of 2015, it may now be possible to descend the Hillary Step on skis with lots of snowfall, but I don’t know. Then you’re faced with the ridge which has lots of exposure. Even with that, the most limiting part would be the number of people going up/down on the rope. You’ve got 3-500 people vying for weather windows. When the window is only two days, that’s a problem.

It would be more likely possible in the fall when less people are on the Mountain.

487C9B1D-79ED-4413-93F1-1BE5FDCA6864.jpeg

Photo by Jimmy Chin
Ron and Kit DesLauriers skiing down from Everest Summit, stopped near the top of the Hillary Step. South Ridge. I think that’s Lhotse Peak in the background, the fourth highest mountain at 8,516 meters.

Good discussion of Everest Routes by Alan Arnette. (You do have to wade through the mess of a very simple free site.)

Last edited:

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another Everest skier is named Yuichiro Miura. A friend in SLC has ties to the Miura family, I sure love all the stories of this man skiing Everest 50 years ago and how his dad celebrated his 100 birthday skiing Snowbird.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Another Everest skier is named Yuichiro Miura. A friend in SLC has ties to the Miura family, I sure love all the stories of this man skiing Everest 50 years ago and how his dad celebrated his 100 birthday skiing Snowbird.
Well he is impressive. (He’s only 88 though. His father skied down Mt Blanc at 99. Is that who tou’re talking about?)

The Everest “skiing” less so. (We never considered it skiing it seeing the movie years ago.) Lucky to be alive falling thousands of feet with his parachute. He did summit at 70 yrs old, and return to base camp on foot. He summitted again at 80!, but had to be helicoptered out from above the Khumbu Ice fall. It also would not be possible if he didn’t have a lot of assistance on the way up/down, though you still have to do it yourself.

Last edited:

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skiing the North Ridge in 2003 is pretty impressive. I’d like to hear more about it. Frankly, anything at those altitudes is impressive. It’s easy to be deluded by the false narrative over the last 25 yrs since Into Thin Air that “anyone” can do it for a price.

Afaik, they’d have to rappel the Second Step, which is about a 100 ft cliff. There’s also two other steps but smaller. It may be possible to descend the Third Step on skis. No idea.

But doing anything that requires such control above 8000m is really difficult. Another world. First off, you’re on the way down, so likely you’ve been climbing for 12 hours. It’s doubtful you’ve slept much in the last 48 hours, and many people can’t eat at high altitude. So you’re descending while physically exhausted, plus the altitude makes you dumb. Let’s just say it’s even easy for people who are experienced at altitude to make a mistake which can be fatal.

Rob and Kit DesLauriers “skied” the South ridge in 2006. They skied from the summit to the Hillary Step anyway. Back then, it was not possible to ski the Step as it’s like a 40ft rock cliff. They climbed down and proceeded to climb down to the Balcony I think, then ski to the South Col.( Camp IV) They then skied the Lhotse Face the next day, which is pretty insane. It’s 40-50 degrees and that day was basically boiler plate as the wind scours what avalanches remove.

After the earthquake of 2015, it may now be possible to descend the Hillary Step on skis with lots of snowfall, but I don’t know. Then you’re faced with the ridge which has lots of exposure. Even with that, the most limiting part would be the number of people going up/down on the rope. You’ve got 3-500 people vying for weather windows. When the window is only two days, that’s a problem.

It would be more likely possible in the fall when less people are on the Mountain.

View attachment 134426
Photo by Jimmy Chin
Ron and Kit DesLauriers skiing down from Everest Summit, stopped near the top of the Hillary Step. South Ridge. I think that’s Lhotse Peak in the background, the fourth highest mountain at 8,516 meters.

Good discussion of Everest Routes by Alan Arnette. (You do have to wade through the mess of a very simple free site.)

Gives me the heebie-jeebies just looking at the photo.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Marolt brothers tribute

487C9B1D-79ED-4413-93F1-1BE5FDCA6864.jpeg

Photo by Jimmy Chin

Kit DesLauriers' tribute video has not been published yet because she was supposed to be inducted last year when things were post poned.
Here is her Legends Lounge video.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

The documentary of Miura has been on my radar (and IMBD Watchlist) for awhile now. After reading this article, it's getting moved higher up on the list.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This morning I saw a comment on Facebook from Steve Marolt. When asked to name one thing that his dad taught him he said: The difference between skiing and enjoying skiing.

When we interviewed them at the HoF induction, I asked if there was a low point during any of the adventures. Mike (IIRC) said that they were on an ascent of Everest when Steve and Jim were overcome from the climb and had to stay back but he decided to go forward. When he summited it was one of the loniest experiences of his life. His brother had been with him for every summit up until that moment.

Here is the article in Aspen Times with some great interviews from them.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What was the upshot?
I take it Everest was not enjoyable skiing. Till it’s over.
I didn't get that out of it at all.
The way these brothers talk and interact with each other, I get the idea that they sincerely enjoy what they are doing.

James

Out There
Instructor
They did Alpine style basically, with no oxygen, no sherpas. Even more impressive.

How come we never heard of them? They’re not bro enough?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They did Alpine style basically, with no oxygen, no sherpas. Even more impressive.

How come we never heard of them? They’re not bro enough?
I'm not sure why many haven't heard of them, but they've been on my radar for quite a while. Perhaps because we met them in Aspen a few years before being inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Sponsor

Staff online