• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mike Sinyard (Specialized) Taking a Step Back

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What Mike did in the 80's was pretty remarkable.
Here's a few of his great products from the era...

And the fact that we have to go back 40 years to remember is why it's time for him to move on.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
And the fact that we have to go back 40 years to remember is why it's time for him to move on.
I wouldn't say that at all.
His vision for HIS company is what got it where it is today (if you like the company or not).
The 80's bikes and how he gained his market share was just the beginning.
Vote with you dollars if other bike businesses are more appealing to you. I don't find ANY current bikes interesting personally.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What Mike did in the 80's was pretty remarkable.
Here's a few of his great products from the era...

Always used to keep an eye out for a Sequoia, but never came across one at the right time. Also nearly pulled the trigger on the Lighthouse version, but came to my senses. I do have a 3rensho Allez that is still a very sweet ride.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
bicyclepubes-1647561515172.jpg

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I have always been a little indifferent to Specialized. Interesting innovations. But then I pulled a dropout out of a fork with my bare hands... And then a brake bridge. And the bent forks on their mtbs.. I lost more skin and nails trying to mount and remove Turbo-S tires... Cuz tighter is better at 130psi... Still, a great innovator and who hasn't had a Specialized that they loved?? Stumpjumper. Nuff said.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We might see some interesting new e-Technology. Avoiding vacuum/sucking comments ;)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
. I lost more skin and nails trying to mount and remove Turbo-S tires... Cuz tighter is better at 130psi... Still, a great innovator and who hasn't had a Specialized that they loved?? Stumpjumper. Nuff said.

Mine was the '89 Allez Epic - and the 700x26 light casing tire they came out with in the 90s. It was the only thing I could ride on road *and* tree rooted MUPs. Tire pliers are a thing :)

That said, as innovators go, I think I have a bit more love for KB and TR than MS. Not sure I can ennumerate why but I do. I'm sure the frustration with my '05 Tarmac didn't help.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
See, that's what happens when you fail to deliver an SWorks Tarmac to me. You are fired. I take that as a personal revenge. :roflmao:

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
I feel like they are almost solely responsible for the popularity of mountain biking due to their marketing (brand awareness) in the 90's.
Their only "recent" contributions have been:
Shoes (like pre-2012)
Helmets
Off-road Tires
Road tubes
I've moved-on from their shoes now, but the other items are absolute staples for me. They've always struck me as a company who "knows what the consumers want", but continue to produce and perfect the products that actually matter to the experience.

Sponsor