• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MIPS?

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Neuro anatomy and physiology are critical factors when discussing TBI, not just engineering calculations. Helmets are great at reducing impacts causing skull fractures, EDH, SDH, etc.... I am not sure a practical helmet can currently be crafted that will adequately stop rotational forces that cause DAI, let alone SRC's.

Nonetheless, when looking at folks coming to the ED, those with helmets do a whole lot better than those without....

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am not sure a practical helmet can currently be crafted that will adequately stop rotational forces that cause DAI, let alone SRC's.
Would it be fair to say that if you're travelling on skis and come to a sudden stop, you're pretty much going to have some level of concussion, irrespective of whether you hit your head?
Nonetheless, when looking at folks coming to the ED, those with helmets do a whole lot better than those without....
Don't suppose you've looked for Mips have you? ...

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Stopping quickly without impacting a solid object is not likely to cause a concussion, as the stop is quick, but not immediate.

If possible, we always try to look at the helmet to get a clue on severity of forces applied to the head, but it is not always present on arrival to the hospital.

James

Out There
Instructor
Had to go look up-

SRC - Sports Related Concussion
SDH -Subdural Hematoma
EDH- Extradural Hematoma
———————-

What is diffuse axonal injury (DAI)?

Diffuse axonal injury is the shearing (tearing) of the brain's long connecting nerve fibers (axons) that happens when the brain is injured as it shifts and rotates inside the bony skull. DAI usually causes coma and injury to many different parts of the brain.
——————-

Somebody is shh.

Last edited:

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
A crash does not always cause a concussion or other TBI. I had several crashes in training SL & GS last year where I had no concussion, as I slid out and my head did not get much force applied or stop immediately. On the other hand, review Natasha Richardson's death from a simple single skier fall on a relatively easy run.

Sponsor

Staff online