• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
But if you had a bunch of cash, wouldn't you think of buying some new cloths?
No. You're in a truck sleeping, why buy new clothes? That would have been weird if he went out and bought all new clothes.
If he was "on the run", without mental issues, most of this becomes very stupid and makes little sense.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^^I had that new identity then remorse/regret thought the minute they found him in ski clothes too..

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Oh boy, how we all become self made detectives. Its funny stuff and im guilty of it myself. Just human nature I suppose. But the curiosity of the whole thing is certainly addicting.
So apparently the latest states he back and in full cooperation but cannot recall much about the those last 6 days of his life. Fwiw imo having a child or any children makes it hard to believe this was a failure at some intentional disappearing.
Also being years with and a captain in the fire dept it sounds like his life was in order. Not that things couldn't ever go very wrong for just about anyone regardless what they do and who they are. Nor that anyone isnt capable of all kinds of crazy wrongdoings. But just that with a family and a respectable career it makes it hard to believe he was guilty of such things.
But the suspense has me hooked.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
They should make a movie about this. A creative scriptwriter can fill the blanks. :D

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My theory:

Guy is on his annual ski trip with old buddies. Has an epiphany moment in the great outdoors, wondering what the hell he's doing droning through life, holding out another couple decades for a measly pension. Tells his buddies he'll be down in one more run and makes a break for it. As a Canadian, he figures he'll start a new life in a new country. California sounds like paradise.

He hikes out of the mountain, finds a truck driver, and heads to California. Buys a new phone on the way so he can't be pinged. Probably buys new clothes too, and cuts his hair somewhere along the way. Eventually, he calls his wife with the new phone and realizes what he's doing. She loves him and the kids are worried, etc. (news article said he did call her just before phoning the police.) This snaps him out of it, and she convinces him to call the police. He's a firefighter so he knows the financial and legal consequences of causing a phony search mission. Guy puts his ski clothes back on and pretends to not remember a thing.

The true details might emerge soon and make me look like an ass, but that makes the most sense to me right now.
Nailed it.

And we'll never know the truth. Unless evidence turns up of him wearing other clothes along the way. Maybe from the truck driver, barber, waitress at the diner, truck stop video, who knows.

But why didn't he leave his ski clothes in a dumpster somewhere?

James

Out There
Instructor
^^Except you're assuming the phone he got had a different phone number. I guess, since he was Canadian, it would. Don't know. Can you buy a phone in the US and have it sim'd to a Canadian number and contract?
Details, details...

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am calling in Dr House and putting thiamine deficiency back on the table. Hey if people can bring in Pee Wee Herman...;)

Flawed but does illustrate the thiamine theory. More likely the person would reconstruct using past memories, not from arbitrary cues in front of them.

The definition of Korsakoff's Syndrome has evolved to now only describe permanent long term damage, essentially a form of dementia. It tends not be be used anymore to describe the scenario above that I am familiar with. Now, to describe the acute condition one has to use the term Wernicke Encephalopathy which has a different set of symptoms. It looks like the "normal person, short term thiamine deficiency, sudden crazy, recovers quickly" scenario I am suggesting and shown above has been marginalized by attempts to focus on long term dementia.

Thiamine levels are not particularly stable, does not have to be about long term behavior. Not about being drunk, an alcoholic, overweight, underweight. One night of heavy drinking without sufficient food puts you at risk. What was he doing in the previous day or two? Was he trying to keep his weight down and temporarily reducing food consumption to compensate for increased drinking? Having too much fun to eat enough to compensate for the drinking?

Reasonable to question whether his thiamine would have dropped enough. Usually not (otherwise there would be dozens of stories like this every day :eek:), but if it did we have all we need.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
$1,000 is hardly a bunch of cash when your traveling, especially on a ski vacation... and if you're coming from Canada many banks don't cross borders so not atypical to travel with that much cash.

I was just commenting on the post that said all his moves were stereotypical of a guy on the run. I figured if I were on the run in my ski outfit, I might try to change that.

Bart Parnell

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
@TonyPlush is the closest to right, I bet.

Continue playing lost and crazy so you escape responsibility. If he can pull it off then all is forgiven and he can go back to work without consequences. Break from his story and he's divorced, fired, and facing legal consequences (I don't know what kind but probably something?)

He probably did have some sort of break that caused him to run away but it took a while to snap out of it.

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
Sounds like a classic fugue state. This is a well-described psychiatric syndrome. I doubt this was done maliciously.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
We better be careful here. We are all going to be subpoenaed as expert witnesses as to why this guy did what he did!! :roflmao:
Still safer than trying to be an expert in Ski School area. The Orienting Upper Body thread is starting to get grumpy, I'm standing clear. Anyway its not expertise, it is getting older and having some years behind one. Something totally crazy happens and one yawns, and ponders "So does this correlate better with what happened to Sally or to Joe?. And of course don't forget what Tim did."

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Thiamine schmiamin. It's rohypnol I tell you! That or whatever they spiked my beer with in that Toronto bar when I was drinking alone (Yes I like to live dangerously:D).

BTW, my memory eventually came back, but in stages and over a year and a half. Coincidentally, I had misplaced the watch on the top of my fridge, and thought it long gone. At first I remembered trying to get my watch fixed at Sears, but didn't remember that the guy in their watch department had convinced me not to leave it there until about a year and a half later, after I went looking for it at Sears and discovered the store gone :eek: (now bankrupt).

I was also acting totally out of character, was on a real power trip. Apologies to the guy at Sears.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I cant imagine by now that if he is lying about the whole thing that he wouldnt have slipped up and already been caught in the lie. If he was truly trying to get away he would have dumped the ski outfit long before 6 days had passed. That and the helmet would have been buried/burned/whatever almost immediately and probably where even he could no longer produce them if he wanted to. I mean even if in regular clothes someone with enough devious smarts to attempt such a thing would change outfits and get rid of everything immediately. Days later? no way.

Unless....hahaha. He had a plan and others involved in the plan did something to him. And so...the plot thickens.

I hope we don't find out one of his Fire buddies (or lack of one) slipped something to this guy without him knowing and he has a bad reaction to whatever it was. Or maybe he took something he has taken before but had a bad reaction this time. haha...even more plots and theories. Its never ending.

Im getting annoyed and my curiosity is losing patience. I say we all go up tomorow and ask " WTF HAPPENED!!" we NEED to know.

On another note I feel bad for his family and also him if he is innocent of any wrong doing.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I cant imagine by now that if he is lying about the whole thing that he wouldnt have slipped up and already been caught in the lie.

Yep, that is why he has given out so little information. He does not remember... How convenient

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^Except you're assuming the phone he got had a different phone number. I guess, since he was Canadian, it would. Don't know. Can you buy a phone in the US and have it sim'd to a Canadian number and contract?
Details, details...
And how did he remember his wife's number without contacts on his new phone? I don't know anyone's number anymore, my phone does.

Sponsor