• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
But do you know anyone's number now?
Basically not but a couple. I remembered numbers for years too. Plus some were better than others depending on the pattern on the push buttons. Still, major numbers like his wife's yeah, one would likely remember that.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Basically not but a couple. I remembered numbers for years too. Plus some were better than others depending on the pattern on the push buttons. Still, major numbers like his wife's yeah, one would likely remember that.
ha, Im talking rotary dials. Push button was a luxury..lol
You know rotary? ....6= bbbrrrr, tictictictictictic
9= bbrrrrr, tictictictictictictictictic
4= bbrrrrr, tictictictic
7= bbrrrrr, tictictictictictictic
etc,etc, lol for all 7 (or ten) digits dialed. people would kill themselves vahing to take that much time to dial a phone. in fact they don't even know what the word "dial" a phone even means.

Last edited:

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
But do you know anyone's number now?
haha I was going to mention that because we don't dial anymore and press the contact or speed dial etc. So not most no, but my wifes and some others close to me yes.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

It's the rotary dial ones with high numbers that I remember most.. took forever to dial a number with lots of 9s or 0s in it..

Bart Parnell

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
LT9-4752 childhood phone, beaten into my head

Anyway, I see zero news coverage of this guy's follow up. Journalists just aren't as curious as we are.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Was it a long and short, a pair of shorts, or a pair of longs.....no body knows what I'm talking about do they??

I believe you are describing the number or type of rings that would identify an incoming phone cal to a household when part of a Party Line phone system, once common in rural areas of Canada.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I believe you are describing the number or type of rings that would identify an incoming phone cal to a household when part of a Party Line phone system, once common in rural areas of Canada.
1gpplu.jpg

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah we had that when we lived up north..it was gone by the mid 70's...

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I've always wondered about 911 ... :huh: seems to me you'd've been shot three times center mass by the time you dialed the 9 on a rotary :nono:
Not that 110 here in Japan is any improvement...

James

Out There
Instructor
I've always wondered about 911 ... :huh: seems to me you'd've been shot three times center mass by the time you dialed the 9 on a rotary :nono:
On the other hand waiting for the dial to get back from '9' there's time to make sure ot's an emergency.
Last summer a friends house still has a very old functioning rotary phone. Like from the 40's. It worked but didn't ring since they'd switched to a cable system. Couple of young kids stared at it as if it was a strange animal. So we went over how to use it.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
On the other hand waiting for the dial to get back from '9' there's time to make sure ot's an emergency.
Last summer a friends house still has a very old functioning rotary phone. Like from the 40's. It worked but didn't ring since they'd switched to a cable system. Couple of young kids stared at it as if it was a strange animal. So we went over how to use it.

What's interesting/funny is to explain to someone why we call punching in the numbers "dialing"...

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

An earlier software version of my phone had a one-press emergency call button on the lock screen. After the third time I "dialed" 911 as I was putting my phone in my pocket, I quit locking it.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I don't think 911 existed here with rotary. I mean..probably did..but..mostly digital by then..

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Per Wikipedia, 911 started in the late 60's... but wasn't implemented almost everywhere until the late-80's. Even then, only 93% of people had 911 service in 2000. (I had no idea!!) As of 2017, 98.9% of US residents have 911 service.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Per Wikipedia, 911 started in the late 60's... but wasn't implemented almost everywhere until the late-80's. Even then, only 93% of people had 911 service in 2000. (I had no idea!!) As of 2017, 98.9% of US residents have 911 service.
Yea I was going to mention that it wasn't all that long ago it became the norm for most households.
If anyone remembers the TV show in the 80's "Rescue 911" with William Shatner (Captain Kirk) hosting the re-enacted true emergency stories. That's when 911 really had firt come to be more a norm and in fact the show itself helped bring about its importance towards saving lives.

BTW as fun as this old phone conversations is going, Whats the latest story on this story with the guy with the thing and all

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
It doesn't really matter. You can let emergency services know you need help, but by the time the help gets there, it'll be too late by far.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Wow, just stumbled upon this. What a crazy story. Speculation:

So guy does one last run - ends up colliding with a tree causing serious injury to the head. He's knocked out for some time in the forest (maybe an hour or 2?). Disoriented, he removes skis and hikes downhill (easiest path). Makes his way to the highway? Or maybe a truck stop. He climbs into cargo area of truck to get out of the storm. That or trucker takes pity on him and picks him up. Passes out and sleeps a long time due to head injury (maybe 1 or 2 days of fitful sleep). His helmet and everything are still on.

Trucker eventually finds him in the cargo hold at a stop (or maybe trucker loaded him initially). Guy is still incoherent and unable to explain how he go there. Memory is messed up. Trucker decides to keep him alive (guy has $$$!). Helmet is removed and there is a bunch of clotted blood from the head injury. He goes to the barber along the way to clean up the wound so he can be presentable and board a plane. Or the trucker has his own scissors/razor and gives him the haircut. Or they stop at a vet somewhere and dress the wound, which also involves a haircut.

Trucker doesn't drop him off right away because dude's memory is still flaky. Wants to wait for memory to improve enough for him to pick right place to fly home.

Trucker won't come forward for various reasons. Maybe ex-con, maybe doesn't follow the news, or maybe would be fired if discovered.

Sponsor

Staff online