• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Whiteface, along with Gore and Belleayre, is run by the state of NY. Hence, anything that would make sense or improve the experience is usually not part of the equation :rolleyes:

Before we go pointing fingers at NY state, we might note that Stratton doesn't even have the NY or the ownership excuse.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Before we go pointing fingers at NY state, we might note that Stratton doesn't even have the NY or the ownership excuse.

And?

No one is pointing fingers / blaming. I am not sure how that changes the facts about NY state mis-managing those three mountains.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
And? No one is pointing fingers and not sure how that changes the facts about NY state.

and private ownership is demonstrably not a panacea for all ills; granted public ownership makes point by point problem fixing unwieldy but it doesn't mean we should stop asking for it.

*is off to Van Hoevenberg*

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Not to mention there’s nothing particularly “sensible” about RFID

That comment has absolutely nothing to do with the subject of this thread.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier

Very bazaar story. It might just be porrly written.

"The man with whom Failla was in the East Vail backcountry called 911 Monday night when he fell off a trail and hiked for several hours trying to work his way out. Tuesday morning after Failla did not show up, the man told the Eagle County Sheriff's Office that he had not reported Failla missing because he had assumed Failla had made it out on his own."

So he called 911 because he was lost in the back country and no one asked if anyone else was with him until the next day? It's not clear exactly where they were skiing but the East Vail area is kind of hard to get lost in with all runs leading the interstate or back to the ski area.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
Lots of teams out searching today on snowshoes, another hell also was out for a while. There are some parts of the Wilmington trail that look pretty nasty if you went over the edge. Easy to do in flat light, snowy conditions. We stopped a couple of time along with other skiers to take a look down to see we could spot anything. Makes a good argument for wearing bright colored clothing.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
27857997_10156181072810956_1844486094976391343_n.jpg

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not to mention there’s nothing particularly “sensible” about RFID
With RFID the ski area is much more likely to know the last ski lift taken by the lost party.

Speaking of RF, RECCO is what would really help in cases like this. I assume that's what they were using from the helicopter.

RECCO is fairly ubiquitous (for sure in CO and I assume elsewhere), enough everyone really should have a reflector. I've got a Patagonia ski belt with a RECCO reflector. Patagonia doesn't make one anymore but looks like Marmot does:
https://www.marmot.com/zodiac-recco-belt/889169165917.html

Wishing the best for the lost gentlemen and the searchers.

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would have assumed they were using FLIR.

Yeah, it looks like Stowe is the only Recco equipped resort in the East, while most every Western resort has it:
http://www.recco.com/resorts-operations/north-american-resorts

I should note that a Recco reflector does not replace the need for a beacon, shovel, and probe in avalanche terrain.

I'm surprised more Eastern resorts don't have Recco for searches like this. The system can also locate skiers without reflectors, but much less efficiently.
http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/recco.asp

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is too bad. I find it odd hasn't been found yet. Its not like hes in the middle of unknown vast mountain range territory or went hiking on a 3 day journey in such a place where as could be anywhere miles away. How far could the person be?
Kind of dumb suggestion but I assume if it was possible authorities would already try to find him via cell phone signal?
No luck with dogs either which is also surprising. I mean I understand snow and trees can cover a person from being seen. But IDK its just hard to believe he cant be found yet. Just strange is all. But also sad of course.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I've skied there a fair bit and I watched a guy launch himself off the Wilmington Trail about 30' down off the side off the trail. They had installed large water pipes for snowmaking and groomed the snow up to them, he lost it and spun off. Fortunately he didn't hit anything and he had 2 buddies with him, stopped to make sure they were good, but I can see if you did a better (worse?) job of launching yourself, you could end up much further..and that trail alone is like 2 or 3 kms long. So I imagine there is some fair amount of terrain to look at.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
I was there the last two days while the were looking for him, if he went into the woods at all I can see him still being missing. I know nothing about search techniques but found it odd they were searching the uphill sides of the trails with probes in the brush.BTW there is huge amount of area to cover, the terrain is pretty rugged there. Just curious what are the chances animals dragged his body deeper into the woods?

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was there the last two days while the were looking for him, if he went into the woods at all I can see him still being missing. I know nothing about search techniques but found it odd they were searching the uphill sides of the trails with probes in the brush.BTW there is huge amount of area to cover, the terrain is pretty rugged there. Just curious what are the chances animals dragged his body deeper into the woods?
I had thought of animals (namely a black bear attack) but of course this is hibernation season so I counted that out. though it is said they don't all hibernate in dens and can even lay on the forest floor under thin cover and in hollow tree etc...and also in any case can awake quickly. So I suppose that's possible.
Bobcat or coyote or fox Im assuming aren't dragging any body. Mountain lion possibly though are a rare sighting in the Adirondacks, Catskills and Appalachians.

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Kind of dumb suggestion but I assume if it was possible authorities would already try to find him via cell phone signal?
Not a dumb question at all. If authorities were spying on him he'd be found by now. Unfortunately, that same cell tracking technology isn't available to search and rescue. Hopefully someday soon.

There are many ways to allow your family and friends to track your smartphone while skiing. That's what I do, but it does require having cell service, unlike the law enforcement tracking technology.

Sponsor