• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
There are many ways to allow your family and friends to track your smartphone while skiing. That's what I do, but it does require having cell service, unlike the law enforcement tracking technology.

The Adirondacks have terrible cell coverage once north or Glens Falls and south of Plattsburgh. The cell coverage at Big Sky is spotty unless you are in a "line of sight" location where the tower on Andesite is visible. This event is a good reminder to carry my avalanche beacon even when "in bounds."

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
Heard they pinged his phone and it was in the hotel room.
What about coyotes?

Bart Parnell

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
There is always the faking death and assuming a new identity possibility... I bet the police and insurance companies are looking into his credit history and dealings as we speak. How long does it take to declare him deceased in a situation like this where no body is recovered?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'd say at this point the only way they are going to find him is searching step by step on the sides of the trails. Walk up and down that hill side by side until somebody steps on him.

Skiheadgear

Booting up
Skier
When he disappeared, conditions were very difficult with poor visibility from fog and snow. Like others have said, there are many places he could be off trail. The newly opened for the season Wilmington trail, being the longest intermediate trail at Whiteface, would be the most likely candidate for a last run. Whiteface claims it is a 2 1/2 miles long trail and it has steep sides with many places where a skier could run into trouble. I hope he hooked up with someone on the gondola and is now hiding obliviously at the Mirror Lake Inn.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't seen an update lately. To me this doesn't bode well. He has been missing for 5 nights. At what point does a rescue mission become a recovery mission?

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
I'd say that's probably front of mind at this point. Colder here today..tough conditions...unless he's intentionally disappeared, I'd say yeah, it's not looking good.

James

Out There
Instructor
Is there anynews from friends and family that he's not somewhere else?

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Is there anynews from friends and family that he's not somewhere else?
Nothing that I've heard..I'm a truth is stranger than fiction kinda guy..I follow local police twitter feeds..amazing stuff..so I haven't really ruled out the possibility of something odd occurring. But usually the simplest answer is the correct answer..

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Doesn't sound like he's someone who would ski the woods, but were they skiable? That makes a much larger area to search.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
"Police have said it is not known how Filippidis got separated from the ski party."

This seems to contradict prior statements that he went on a run by himself when his group had come down to the base to end their day.

James

Out There
Instructor

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm withholding judgement until I hear the circumstances... it's certainly possible that some miscommunication or other emergency lead to the situation.

At least he's not dead - that's usually how these things end.

Last edited:

Muleski

Inactive
Absolute. Effing. Scum. Bag.

I'm not withholding judgement. Seven days. "Miscommunication?" Another emergency?

I have read a lot about this search. Know the area pretty well. This involved hundreds of people. They had icing problems with choppers, and drones. His family was in Lake Placid right away. Wife and kids.

My hunch: had fun skiing and drinking with the boys, missed his girlfriend, disappear to be with her......Wife and kids are boring.

And, I assume that more than a few of his buddies knew, and eventually one came clean that he just might not be on the mountain.

Scumbag.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online