• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I have similar hit and lost short memory experience

Thank you for sharing. We may never know the full story. But, it's obvious something went very wrong for him. And, I found it hard to believe that there was any malicious intent. I'm just glad he was found in good physical condition, and that you are well also.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Still cant believe no news on this except he is on leave from work and undergoing medical examination while NYS police still investigating. I have to think he just suffered some unfortunate rare loss of memory and that since there is nothing to charge him with they are keeping him (and his family) private and from public display. Which if this is the case would be the right thing to do imo. But its very curious and we want to know.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
We will not hear about his mental health diagnosis. No one is going to put that on the news. HIPAA.
The only way we will hear what happened is if the family or the man himself decides to tell the world.
But then why would they choose to satisfy the curiosity of complete strangers publicly?

There may be an article for Outside Magazine in the works, or a book. So they might tell the story for $.
But I doubt any family would do that just because people want to know.
If the press would bothers them with follow-up questions, do you think they will respond?

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
sacramento.jpg

New trail at Whiteface

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
We will not hear about his mental health diagnosis. No one is going to put that on the news. HIPAA.
The only way we will hear what happened is if the family or the man himself decides to tell the world.
But then why would they choose to satisfy the curiosity of complete strangers publicly?

There may be an article for Outside Magazine in the works, or a book. So they might tell the story for $.
But I doubt any family would do that just because people want to know.
If the press would bothers them with follow-up questions, do you think they will respond?
yea I could agree but when tax dollars are spent and rescue personnel, helicopters, and equipment and all related are dispatched, people want answers. It may sound cruel but it almost becomes public knowledge. At least some statement anyway....like perhaps letting the public know why there tax dollars were spent even if just to say he was a victim of personal circumstances and we are glad he is now safe and sound with his family without going into detail.
Im just grasping at straws because the curiosity is killing us...lol Id also like to know if he hit his head skiing as that would act as reminder to us all as well as nothing to embarrass the family about.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
I love the trail sign.
I was there the first two days he was missing and saw the search efforts first hand. People were on their hands and knees searching thru the bush. I think the hundreds of volunteers deserve a explanation.
At least know the reason why his girlfriend dumped him in Sacramento.ogsmile

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
There's a fascinating article about fugue states in the latest issue of the New Yorker. It focuses on a young woman from NY who has had repeated episodes. Apparently abruptly embarking on a long journey is common when in such a state.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/04/02/how-a-young-woman-lost-her-identity

This was fascinating! A very interesting family, some of their oddness coming together into this daughter. What a story, and how painful for all concerned. It sure makes the disappearing skier at Whiteface seem less bizarre in comparison.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier

James

Out There
Instructor

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
An update from local NY paper which really doesn’t provide very much info and that is probably the end if it. Weird. Will have to read James’s link to NYer piece for some possible insights.

https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Mystery-behind-skier-s-disappearance-may-stay-12941197.php
yea , I wa still curious and just found that same article and was going to post it. Thought it was going to offer up something more at least a little. One things seems clear though. There must been some mental episode and if there was any wrong doing Im sure that would have become public knowledge by now and no secret considering the money and efforts spent via the search. This just sounds like private medical/mental matter. And if so, then what can we say but to wish him and the family well.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I hope that someone is attempting to put together pieces of the puzzle and it's just not being reported. It seems like there should be some way to figure out either where he got the iPhone, got the money for it, or where the number for it was obtained. And pings from the phone while it was on.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After reading about this guy, and the story about Hannah Upp in the New Yorker, I wonder: How do people in a fugue state get money to pay for things they need? It’s not like they plan ahead and take a bunch of cash out of the bank. How did this guy pay for his iPhone and meals, etc during his journey to Sacramento? How did Hannah Upp secure food for 2 weeks in NYC?

What fascinates me the most is not that people can enter a fugue state and go missing, but that some can go missing for weeks at a time and survive without ending up in a police station or homeless shelter.

What saddens me about the Hannah Upp story is that she had an established history of entering a fugue state, at the same time of the year, and entering water.....and it seems that’s what happened again.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The man had several hundred dollars on him. He was from Canada so probably got some dollars before he left to avoid unknown atm and exchange fees.

Hannah had experience as a "freegan," eating dicarded food from markets.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I was snowboarding in Bariloche. Had a hard heelside slamon an icy slope. Next thing I "woke up" in a cafe with a hot chocolate in my hand. No one onviously was attending to me so I can only assume I had a mild fugue which directed me to " you need to have a sit down" safety response. Interesting that I'd been able to make a purchase in a foreign language and currency.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
this is till mindboggling that there isnt something else to grab onto to explain getting cross the entire country. I suppose it must be even more rutstrating for him to not know. I just cant beleive that with whomever or how he traveled that far that no one cam forward that had contact with him to at least give some insight for some part of his unknown journey. Soemthing still fishy about that part or perhaps better said...unsettling. But I suppose it would have to be driving him frustrated too. I mean i would just want to know how the heck I got across the whole country and also how no one had anything to offer that may have helped or seenme (if it were me) . You dont just end up in california still wearing ski attire and no one questions this. Its just (after al this time) still a wow factor here.

Sponsor