• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Missing skier at Lost Trail is found dead

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
nbcmontana.com: Searchers find remains of missing Lost Trail skier.

Ravalli County Sheriff/Coroner Steve Holton said the search for the missing skier at Lost Trail came to a tragic end today when the 25-year-old Colorado man was found deceased by searchers on the Idaho side of the divide.

The search began yesterday afternoon with Lost Trail Ski Patrol, Ravalli County Search and Rescue, LifeFlight, Two Bear Air and the Ravalli County Sheriff's Office participating. The Ravalli County Coroner's Office is investigating the circumstances at the request of the Lemhi County Coroner.

More details, including the man's identity will be released as the investigation continues and the family has the opportunity to notify friends and relatives.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Very sad, as always... the resort is on the border of MT and ID... anyone know if he was found inbounds versus out-of-bounds? "On the Idaho side of the divide..." from the article doesn't seem to say for sure.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Very sad, as always... the resort is on the border of MT and ID... anyone know if he was found inbounds versus out-of-bounds? "On the Idaho side of the divide..." from the article doesn't seem to say for sure.
On the trail map it shows the state line splitting the resort.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
On the trail map it shows the state line splitting the resort.
Yes... but I guess what I'm asking is whether, when the article says "on the Idaho side", they're implying in-bounds or not.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
R.I.P. I hope it was a very good ski day until it wasn't. We all die eventually doing something. If I'm awake I'd rather it be skiing than at work.. and hopefully closer to the end of the day than the beginning.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
RIP young ripper!

What a bummer. I was skiing there several years ago and the same thing happened. Found out later that my friend and I had been skiing within a stone's throw of where the poor guy was buried.

P-Ute

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some additional details regarding this incident were published yesterday in the local paper.
Young man was found out of bounds and died of hypothermia.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
That's my daughters home mountain these days.

She says:

I can see someone going out of bounds on the idaho side and not knowing it. They do a terrible job of marking it
The Montana side is lined with a rope and a massive sign at the gate
The Idaho side is in the trees and I think only partially roped.

Given that the victim is said to be from Colorado, he may have gotten lost.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
he may have gotten lost
That seems to be the case with the Northstar skier who was found two weeks after he went missing. He was far outside the boundary, though the day he went missing visibility was almost non-existent. Very sad in both cases.

Sponsor

Staff online