• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Modern bindings for older skis

Andrew Read

Booting up
Skier
Does anybody know of any new production bindings that come with brakes narrow enough to mount to older narrower skis? I've got a couple pairs of some radical mid 90s skis that my dad bought new from a sidewalk sale, but never got around to mounting. I'd like to finally get them mounted and ski them, but finding bindings narrow enough to fit them (<75mm) is proving difficult. I'm not against using period-appropriate bindings, but I think modern bindings would be the easiest.
I know the Look Pivots come in a 75mm brake, but it seems every other narrow brake is either a race binding or junior binding. Does anybody still make a decent all-mountain binding for narrower skis? Anybody else run into this problem, or does everybody else try to use period appropriate bindings?
20220824_125714.jpg

First up on the list are the K2s and the Volkls, and those K2s have a pretty narrow waist by today's standards.

TS
A

Andrew Read

Booting up
Skier
BTW I don't know if this would be better suited here, or in the modern ski forums.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider

Just ask any racer for their old "A" 75mm brakes and you are good to go.

TS
A

Andrew Read

Booting up
Skier
It might be fun to dangle the Spaldings in front of the collectors on here. Especially to those who had deep enough pockets to buy the remakes. Just imagine how good they would look together ;)

Don't think the rest have much collector value. Way more fun to ski. That's a good idea for getting old brakes from racers and swapping them out. I gotta check if any of the ski shops around here have a pile of old parts bindings.
I've been waiting for all the ski stores around here to open up for the season. Not a lot of demand for ski stuff in Chicago in August.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
What DIN would you set to? Race bindings that go up to 12 or even 10 might be just fine. They are junior race bindings, but can be fine for an adult who doesn’t want a higher DIN and enjoys being uninjured.

TS
A

Andrew Read

Booting up
Skier
What DIN would you set to? Race bindings that go up to 12 or even 10 might be just fine. They are junior race bindings, but can be fine for an adult who doesn’t want a higher DIN and enjoys being uninjured.
A 12 DIN would be fine for what I'm looking for. This is just for some recreational skiing at A Basin once or twice a year. I might end up having to get junior race bindings, assuming they fit adult sized boots. Feels weird having to put "junior" bindings on a 207cm GS ski; but I guess junior race bindings are just as good as casual adult bindings, if not better.

James

Out There
Instructor
guess junior race bindings are just as good as casual adult bindings, if not better.
They’re not. They have poor hold down of the boot lugs. For adults this translates to poor control. Most noticeable on steep hard surfaces. I could also argue they’re more dangerous if they don’t transmit the full force into the spring to release.

Your Din is 12?? Do not get a junior binding. It’s just silly.

TS
A

Andrew Read

Booting up
Skier
Depends on what you define as "junior". Looks like some brands will call anything with a DIN under 14 bindings for "The next generation"

Definitely not getting any bindings under 12. My actual DIN setting is probably 8-10

TS
A

Andrew Read

Booting up
Skier
Well maybe not that many brands. Was browsing Looks earlier and they have a "junior" binding that goes up to 12 and supposedly fits adult sized boots.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Depends on what you define as "junior". Looks like some brands will call anything with a DIN under 14 bindings for "The next generation"

Definitely not getting any bindings under 12. My actual DIN setting is probably 8-10
Good to not max out a binding, as the whole build is not geared that way. You can step up to max 14, 16, 18, and so on, with increasing robustness, metal, weight, and price.

I have mine set around 8-9, on bindings that range from max 12 to max 16. I couldn’t tell you a difference I have felt between them (not that there isn’t a difference).

TS
A

Andrew Read

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for all the responses. I'll figure something out in time for winter. My dad was a pretty big skier in his day, so he's not going to let me do anything stupid like childrens bindings or horribly under/oversized DIN ratings.

Was half hoping somebody would roll in and say "Here's the link to the super secret website that has Tyrolia Attacks in a 70mm brake" or something similar.

Might end up getting some Look Pivots on the K2 Extreme FX. It's a classic look; and for an "all-mountain" ski I think they're a good match.

Will look more into some race bindings for the Volkls. They are a GS ski after all. Hopefully they'll be more adjustable than the Pivots so my dad and I can both make fools of ourselves; we have a pretty similar size boot. No demo bindings though. I have some demos on a pair of Volkl Red Prestos (best 90s graphics) and they suck. I also have a hunch about where I can source some vintage bindings, but that's a whole other can of worms.

I'm sure once the ski stores open back up around here somebody will have a pair that fits. I'm just going stir crazy waiting. All the best deals on clearance equipment are going on now, but nowhere is open for at least another month.:(

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I run all metal period correct bindings on my retro skis.. 727 black with 1-4 setting andthe worn screw adjustment instead of the lift tab is all metal, most of the Equipes are. Metal 900s are still in use by plenty of ski bums... But ya, a modern jr race binding would be safer and shops will work on them for you..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
@Philpug does Look/Rossi sell a Pivot with smaller brakes for the bump pros?

TS
A

Andrew Read

Booting up
Skier
The Pivot 12, 14, and 18 apparently come in a 75mm brake, but they can be hard to find and only come in boring black. I sent a letter to Look asking if they're gonna release the Pivot 15s in a 75mm brake but they said they have no plans. Big bummer on that. Can still swap the brakes around, but new brake kits are like 100$ and people treat their old scrapped bindings like gold for some reason.

BTW before somebody mentions junior bindings again, please note that I am 24 years old and 6'2. Not sure if that point got made. REALLY not looking for junior bindings unless I find some bargain bin clearance bindings for like highschoolers, and even then I would still be hesitant.

Sponsor

Staff online