• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Moguls - benefits of Early turns

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Personally, I think making it look like a zipper line exists where it doesn't is one of the most challenging and most rewarding things to do in skiing.

Quoted and bolded for truth.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Prior to and during the early part of the turn. What has help me is getting on the ball of the feet. Below is the vid of Tom Gellie, section 2:11 and 3:12 shows how much more forward you can place the hip by using the ball of the feet as the base of support. And yes, by moving the hip forward, those tails pull upward.

By getting the hip forward and tail up, the front part of the ski bends to control speed by absorbing the kinetic energy involved. As a side, IMO, the section where Tom's analyzed Mike Kingsbury flexing and extending in the rollers (aka absorption tank) is of Mike drilling specific movements in the tank. He absorbs and extends differently during competition runs.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes!

No! The Zipper line is never misplaced! :ogbiggrin:

See @Sanity's video posted above. Lots of great zipper line influenced skiing at Mary Jane in irregular bumps. I'll post it again. Nice skiing!

Zipper line technique works in all sorts of bumps, not just perfect zipper lines. There are unfortunately few perfect zipper lines, even at Mary Jane.

Personally, I think making it look like a zipper line exists where it doesn't is one of the most challenging and most rewarding things to do in skiing.
Sorry, tball, I can't even watch POV video with no horizon like that, let alone try to learn something from watching ski tips. No reflection on the substance of your post; just on the video and similar ones recently posted in another thread.

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
Sorry, tball, I can't even watch POV video with no horizon like that, let alone try to learn something from watching ski tips. No reflection on the substance of your post; just on the video and similar ones recently posted in another thread.

Once you take your own POV, then your brain calibrates it to real life, and you can see what's going on. Some people get car sick watching though, but for others that have adapted, it's extremely useful comparing what you did today for example with five years ago or for seeing how other people ski. When there's flat light it's especially challenging, but an experienced eye can still get info from it.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fair enough. As unpleasant as POV videos may be to watch, I do think they are useful in showing the lines different skiers choose. You can learn a lot from that, particularly in bumps and other off-piste runs. Many folks don't know where to turn in the bumps and I'm hopeful POV videos in natural bumps may help.

I happen to have an old video from Mary Jane similar to @Sanity's I think helps demonstrate this point, with a bit more horizon:
Zipper line technique works in all sorts of bumps, not just perfect zipper lines. There are unfortunately few perfect zipper lines, even at Mary Jane.

These are end-of-day spring bumps showing how different the lines can be between the front side and backside. On the front side is the top of Phantom Bridge, a run that faces north and typically has nice zipper lines in firm conditions. On the backside of MJ is Short Haul (faces east) with irregular lines and slush bumps starting to refreeze.
  • 0:00 - Typical nice Mary Jane zipper line on the top of Phantom's in firm spring conditions.
  • 1:00 - Irregular bumps on Short Haul, typical of Mary Jane's backside runs with more inconsistent fall lines, rocks, and stumps.
Even in irregular bumps, zipper line turns are often useful. It's an even greater challenge to figure out where to turn when a zipper line doesn't exist, adding to the fun and challenge of irregular bumps.

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
Fair enough. As unpleasant as POV videos may be to watch, I do think they are useful in showing the lines different skiers choose. You can learn a lot from that, particularly in bumps and other off-piste runs. Many folks don't know where to turn in the bumps and I'm hopeful POV videos in natural bumps may help.

I happen to have an old video from Mary Jane similar to @Sanity's I think helps demonstrate this point, with a bit more horizon:

These are end-of-day spring bumps showing how different the lines can be between the front side and backside. On the front side is the top of Phantom Bridge, a run that faces north and typically has nice zipper lines in firm conditions. On the backside of MJ is Short Haul (faces east) with irregular lines and slush bumps starting to refreeze.
  • 0:00 - Typical nice Mary Jane zipper line on the top of Phantom's in firm spring conditions.
  • 1:00 - Irregular bumps on Short Haul, typical of Mary Jane's backside runs with more inconsistent fall lines, rocks, and stumps.
Even in irregular bumps, zipper line turns are often useful. It's an even greater challenge to figure out where to turn when a zipper line doesn't exist, adding to the fun and challenge of irregular bumps.

That's really good skiing with those big bumps. I missed those trails. Next time. So much terrain at Mary Jane...

It's funny how that rock didn't just knock you, but also knocked you out of your rhythm for a few turns. I would have stopped to mourn the loss of my edges.

I like more horizon too. My camera got knocked lower, and I don't check it during the day.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As unpleasant as POV videos may be to watch, I do think they are useful in showing the lines different skiers choose. You can learn a lot from that, particularly in bumps and other off-piste runs.
I'm really liking all this shadowcam footage. It's useful to compare the appearances that different skiers create in similar situations. The shadows reveal a lot about posture and body movements. Many times you can even see what ski tips are doing.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier

[/QUOTE]

That's some pretty great lines you're skiing there! Can't fake it on Mary Jane! Nice skiing.