• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

For Sale Moment Astronaut Wildcat 190 $450

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've used my Astronaut Moments 1x. It's just too big @190 for East Coast. Know anyone interested? One set of holes drilled for Marker Schizos, which I'm keeping. Other than that they are brand new not a scratch on them. I'd let them go for $450 + shipping cost (firm). If they were shorter I'd keep them but I'm almost 60 yo so it's too much for my old bones! If you know anyone interested let me know. Thanks! I realize this is an absolute steal but I'm less concerned about that as I consider these skis "my pets" and looking for a good home! :beercheer:

Attachments

• 20200622_123349.jpg
    20200622_123349.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200622_124347.jpg
    20200622_124347.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh BTW... will trade for a set of New-ish- lightly used 184's in Astronaut or newer version!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Did you ever tune these skis or check the edges? I say this as Moment skis need to be detuned/smoothed from the camber contact point up on both the tips and tails vs the widest taper point on most skis. Lay them with the brakes up on a flat floor and put a piece of tape where the tips/tails leave the ground and smooth from there up.

Also check to make sure the base bevel is consistent in the camber section at 1 degree. Sides are factory set underfoot at 1 degree.

Just wanted to make sure you’re not getting rid of skis that just aren’t properly tuned. Having them sharp above the contact points will make them feel longer and more “grabby”. If you’re over 175lbs or so you should be on the 190cm.

Message me if you have any questions! Just ran my 190s on soft, cruddy groomers on a 500’ vert hill this week and they were great. I’m 175lbs and turning 51 so I’m old too! Lol

Cheers, Greg.

TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Did you ever tune these skis or check the edges? I say this as Moment skis need to be detuned/smoothed from the camber contact point up on both the tips and tails vs the widest taper point on most skis. Lay them with the brakes up on a flat floor and put a piece of tape where the tips/tails leave the ground and smooth from there up.

Also check to make sure the base bevel is consistent in the camber section at 1 degree. Sides are factory set underfoot at 1 degree.

Just wanted to make sure you’re not getting rid of skis that just aren’t properly tuned. Having them sharp above the contact points will make them feel longer and more “grabby”. If you’re over 175lbs or so you should be on the 190cm.

Message me if you have any questions! Just ran my 190s on soft, cruddy groomers on a 500’ vert hill this week and they were great. I’m 175lbs and turning 51 so I’m old too! Lol

Cheers, Greg.
Thanks for the update and advice. Truly appreciated. The tune on these is actually pretty good and that was testing and drilling w/ these on relative hard-pack. For such a big ski they are SUPER nimble to degree I never expected. Fwd, switch, air... they did it all very well. Super stable. I would LOVE these skis if I could get out west more. The trees and mtn bike trails where I mostly ski here in Norhtern VT & NH are just too tight for my personal comfort zone at the speeds of a 190/118 ski w/ this level of stability. RIP... ME!!! :geek: I generally prefer to ski short... my Bones are 180's and my Mantras 177. I have the Volkl Kuros 185 and Line Sick Day 110's in 185 but those are super soft. I just traded a set of J Skis The Metal, for The Vacations for the same reasons. The Metals were just too stable, solid, heavy and fast for my style which is becoming more and more about finessing a shorter turn radius.

Doing drills on these and in the trees these Moments just have too much speed for my tastes. Yes my Bones have blinding speed too but at 180, I handle it. During my last trip out to Pow Mow..... the 190's would have been the ticket w/ wide open endless fields and tons of daylight between the trees. That just doesn't happen often enough and when out there my lungs end up giving out waaaay before my legs! The "Terror Factor"w/ these 190's was set just a bit too high for my tastes. Humbly... as we age it takes longer to heal so ten years ago I would have been all over these but alas..... these skis scare the crap out of me! :eek:

Last edited:
TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Moment could use that quote in their ads! Haha

Was just making sure it wasn’t a tuning issue and was in fact a length issue,
Totally understood! Part of my testing was taking into account the tuning variables that can happen w/ a new ski. FYI .... I found a set of 184's from this year online so I pulled the trigger. W/ those I'll gain a bit more control but they are reportedly a little more stiff than the Astronaut version so for western float.... if I ever get back out there I can set the Schizo's back a cm or two. Your thoughts on this are welcome as I'm definitely experimenting here. Thanks! worst case scenario is if my 190's don't sell I'll keep them for open cow pasture skiing here in VT! :beercheer:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
for trees and tighter spots, I love the 184. Plenty of stability but incredibly nimble and fun. All skis need a fresh tune and bases flattened out. In trees like this and tighter, (remember, camera's flatten out things) they are simply awesome.

F57C3242-9FD3-42A1-82C7-643F1F46E22B_1_201_a.jpeg

TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
for trees and tighter spots, I love the 184. Plenty of stability but incredibly nimble and fun. All skis need a fresh tune and bases flattened out. In trees like this and tighter, (remember, camera's flatten out things) they are simply awesome.

View attachment 126713
Nice pic! That's like Nirvana! I would be comfortable on the 190's w/ trees and conditions like those! Totally drooling on that pic! I F'n MISS living out west! My home base was Wolf Creek down in the San Juans.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
but the 190 is overkill for most trees. As long as you are under 6' and 190, the 184 provides more than all you need, just in a quicker turning, more flickable fun-sized length.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
That was a quick 184cm purchase! Glad you found some so quick. The Wildcats are fantastic skis and I’m sure you’ll love them.

Sponsor

Staff online