• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Moment Skis Discussion

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Some bad news for Canadian Moment fans.

We've lost our free shipping. It now costs 68 USD for 2 day shipping. 50 USD for 4-6 day.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Just pulled the trigger on some Wildcat 101's to go with my Deathwish . figure those 2 will cover pretty much everything i run into in Little Cottonwood Canyon.

keeping my Chetler 100's around for early and late season duties and the Hojis for BC duties.

Deathwish have moved up to my favorite skis of all time and trust me living in Utah i have had a ton of skis! they destroy everything.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just pulled the trigger on some Wildcat 101's to go with my Deathwish . figure those 2 will cover pretty much everything i run into in Little Cottonwood Canyon.

keeping my Chetler 100's around for early and late season duties and the Hojis for BC duties.

Deathwish have moved up to my favorite skis of all time and trust me living in Utah i have had a ton of skis! they destroy everything.
I once met in a lift line a national bump ski coach sponsored by Moment skis, and also by another, bigger ski brand.
He told me he had the Moment sponsorship because that was his favorite brand.
I asked him what his favorite Moment ski was.
His answer: the Deathwish in two lengths, one for bumps (short), another for more varied skiing (longer).
Must be quite a ski.

BVG

Booting up
Skier
Stopped by the shop in Sparks to demo some skis for this afternoon at Squaw. Went for the Wildcat 108 in 184.

Snow at Squaw was spring conditions. Did laps on KT, Headwall, Emigrant, and Granite Chief. Conditions were dust on crust, bumps, some soft stuff, and slush toward the bottom.

These skis are just fun. Like to bounce around but can charge when you want to go straight through everything. Have a speed limit that is faster than I can go. Moguls were fairly easy and I historically suck at moguls.

Think I am sold on a pair. Question is - do I go for 184 or 190? Magma lady or wait to see where the spaceman goes this Fall? When I dropped off the demos, they said that the Wildcat will remain unchanged for next season sans graphics.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Think I am sold on a pair. Question is - do I go for 184 or 190? Magma lady or wait to see where the spaceman goes this Fall? When I dropped off the demos, they said that the Wildcat will remain unchanged for next season sans graphics.

Like any ski the stability and float is going to be better on the longer length but at the sacrifice of a bit of playfulness or forgiveness. What’s your size and ability?

If you can get this years on a deal and like this years graphics I’d say go for the deal. They were updated for this year(faster bases and upgraded side walls on 108) so only graphics update next year. Usually the current years go for around the $600 range in late Spring vs the $759 for next years.

Foss1997

Booting up
Skier
Im stuck on the WC vs WC 108. Probably will go 190, 6 4 190. Absolutely love this years graphics.

Intentions are a resort soft snow all mountain ski. Storm days, day after ect. Does the original WC give up much to the 108 in its versatility at slower speeds, on piste, shorter turns? The 190 WC is 118 and the radius up there..

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Does the original WC give up much to the 108 in its versatility at slower speeds, on piste, shorter turns? The 190 WC is 118 and the radius up there..

The original wider Wildcat will want a bit more speed and be a little slower edge to edge on groomers vs the 108 but carves great once you do get going.

Wildcat 118 is a great powder ski that can still be skied the day or two after a storm while the 108 is fun any day with soft snow and would still be very good in new snow. Very similar feel with both of them.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wildcat 118 is a great powder ski that can still be skied the day or two after a storm while the 108 is fun any day with soft snow and would still be very good in new snow. Very similar feel with both of them.

So I did well to pre-order the Wildcat 118 in 190 instead of 184 then? I mean, what is the point of shorter skis for powder when I do not go into trees anyway, right?

My only doubt is perhaps the 118 will be redundant as the 108 in 190 are expected to be phenomenal in powder...we'll see...

Haha, man, counting the days till the next season, this is gonna be one slooow summer/fall.... :ogbiggrin:

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
So I did well to pre-order the Wildcat 118 in 190 instead of 184 then? I mean, what is the point of shorter skis for powder when I do not go into trees anyway, right?

My only doubt is perhaps the 118 will be redundant as the 108 in 190 are expected to be phenomenal in powder...we'll see...

Haha, man, counting the days till the next season, this is gonna be one slooow summer/fall.... :ogbiggrin:

The longer 190cm length in the 118 Wildcat will definitely float better than the 184cm 116 in deeper snow as well as being more stable and damp. Only if you were smaller and only skied very tight spaces would I lean 184cm.

The Wildcat 108 is pretty good in powder but the 118 noticeably better float, better suspension through tracked out powder and even more confident through variable conditions. I consider the wider Wildcat a “powder ski” that’s perfect for any decent snowfall or the day or so after when new areas are opened up with fresh snow. Still carve and handle variable soft snow conditions better than most wider skis so very versatile.

Consider the Moment 108 more of a “soft snow ski” that could be used as a daily driver for those skiing mostly soft snow. Does great in Spring snow, afternoon crud and fresh snow but it just won’t float in deep snow like the 11Like it’s bigger brother it’s very versatile but even easier and lighter on it’s feet.

So, decent new snowfall-Wildcat 118, soft snow/snow dusting/Spring snow-Wildcat 108. Either will handle conditions above or below their intended use. Similar feel so no learning curve.

Btw-Blister did a review on the Moment Chipotle Banana and fiddled with mount point a bit. Similar mount point to the Wildcat 108/116/118 and similar shape(less sidecut and wider underfoot) and the skier was a more traditional skier who likes to drive the ski. He found -1cm to -1.5cm was “the sweet spot” for him and that -2cm started to feel a bit too traditional and not as fun.
So that’s the range I’d recommend for your Wildcats too then as it sounds like -2cm is passed the balance point a bit.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Btw-Blister did a review on the Moment Chipotle Banana and fiddled with mount point a bit. Similar mount point to the Wildcat 108/116/118 and similar shape(less sidecut and wider underfoot) and the skier was a more traditional skier who likes to drive the ski. He found -1cm to -1.5cm was “the sweet spot” for him and that -2cm started to feel a bit too traditional and not as fun.
So that’s the range I’d recommend for your Wildcats too then as it sounds like -2cm is passed the balance point a bit.

Mine are still not mounted and wont be mounted until next season, so it gives me months and months to agonize over the mounting point. :ogbiggrin:
At this point when standing on them it seems to me -1 will be most fun. -2 is too close to that YUGE tail rocker and feels....a bit unbalanced, but then again what do I know about these things...we'll see...

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Mine are still not mounted and wont be mounted until next season, so it gives me months and months to agonize over the mounting point. :ogbiggrin:
At this point when standing on them it seems to me -1 will be most fun. -2 is too close to that YUGE tail rocker and feels....a bit unbalanced, but then again what do I know about these things...we'll see...

I mounted my Candide 1.0 and Head eTitans already so I’m able to at least look at them mounted on my basement floor till next next season when I can try them out! Lol

-1cm is always a very safe bet but thought you might be good to even -2cm but seems like anything over -1.5cm is the “tipping point” line on them. Just tape them on the ski at -1cm till next season for basement use during the summer!

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Moment Wildcat 101's delivered yesterday . Skis look great! The profile makes them look like almost a downsized version of the Deathwish minus the Triple camber. Hoping the Pivot 15's i ordered get here before the season ends so i don't have to drool on them all summer waiting for snow.

IMG_8437.JPG

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
thought id share a few rocker profile pics of the Moment Wildcat 101s. Wildcats on the right, Deathwish on the left.
IMG_8461.JPG

as you can see they are very similar
IMG_8462.JPG

IMG_8464.JPG

IMG_8443.JPG

still hoping to get a few days on these at Snowbird this season . Bindings should be here any day
really stoked to get on them.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
I can confirm, the Wildcat 101's rip! I've gotten a few days at Snowbird on them now. They handle all conditions really well. Great edge hold on firm morning groomers.
spring slush piles no problem. another great ski by Moment. Easy transition going from the Deathwish.. they ski very similarly .
IMG_8788.JPG

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can confirm, the Wildcat 101's rip! I've gotten a few days at Snowbird on them now. They handle all conditions really well. Great edge hold on firm morning groomers.
spring slush piles no problem. another great ski by Moment. Easy transition going from the Deathwish.. they ski very similarly .
View attachment 133163

Man, I hope soooo much this goes for the 108s too.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
New 2021/2022 Moment skis have dropped including the new Deathwish 104.

AEV

Booting up
Skier
Looks great!

The 190 Wildcats come in a little heavier again this year, closer to 2300g/ski! They are creeping their way back to the Bibby weight, and I like that a lot.

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
Looks great!

The 190 Wildcats come in a little heavier again this year, closer to 2300g/ski! They are creeping their way back to the Bibby weight, and I like that a lot.
The changed the construction last year and this year is just a graphic change. Buy the 190cm from ski burger ;) overall I prefer last year’s graphic but that’s personal and would not prevent me from buying one. I am curious to read the first review on the Deathwish 104.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I also noticed the change in weight(about 50 grams more than 2021 specs) although my one 2021 190cm Wildcat was 2280 grams and the other 2210(boo lol). Maybe adding a touch more epoxy or tweaking the construction just a hair causing the difference? Still lighter than my CT 3.0…….evil laugh…

The other Wildcats up in weight specs a hair too.

Figured the deathwish 104 to be a hair over 2000grams and glad it is for a bit of street cred.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online